Hi, I'm currently planning to buy a peavey classic 30 or the 50 212. The 50 212 looks pretty sweet but the only thing that make me hesitate is that i'm afraid that it would be too loud for my bedroom. I know there is a master volume control on the 50, but does it make a big difference?

thanks
man, if you want you can play a 120watt head with 2 4x12 cabs in your bedroom, just adjust the master volume
there's a thing called volume - poti...some amps even have a master volume
Beer is fine.
Are we talking a tube amp or SS? (Sorry, I don't know shit about peaveys)
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Dude, put it this way,
im 16, live with the parents,
and i got line6 spider 300w guitar ampcombo
Depends on what you think "too loud" is.

I play my 2204 in my apartment with the Master at 2:00 and the attenuator at 2:00 (close to natural, full power).
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by jackza454
Dude, put it this way,

I pity your parents..
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

yeah it's all tube. I currently own a 60 watt solid state amp and it's not too loud, but it's SS. I previously own a 15 watt tube amp and it was also quite reasonable for me.

but 50 watt tube amp seems quite powerfull and want to be able to achieve a good tone at lower volume. That's why I might consider a 30 watt over the 50
Quote by jackza454
Dude, put it this way,

I'm 15, live with my mum and I have a full valve Marshall 100watt halfstack, which would blow your spider out of the water and onto the moon.

But TS, I challenge you to notice a different between a 50watt and 30watt with the same speakers/cab build, it'll only really be a matter of tone between EL34s and EL84s.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
whoever said wattage =/= volume .. -.-
They have a strong correlation.

Anyways, my 2 watt microcube was sometimes too loud, depending on what time of the day.
But there are volume knobs, it's better to have more then you need so if you decide to jam you have that volume.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Put it under your bed, turn it all the way up, and grab a guitar with some serious sustain put it in drop b and strum it while having sex.
Laguna 422-HE
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pocket POD
(Slowly getting back into the groove )
I have the Classic 50 410 and I can play it in my bedroom. It just doesn't sound as nice as when you play it at higher volumes.

If you don't play on gigging in the future, don't bother.
Yeah, I wouldn't spend the extra for a 50 watter (Although you do get another speaker), because, well, my amp at the seven watt setting is too loud tbh, but then you've got the master control.

Seriously, all this hype about "tube amp sound sh*t at low volumes" is just another bandwagon. Sure, they sound better loud, but not as much as people here seem to make out.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by tsu_1101
Yeah I plan on gigging in the future that's for sure

unless you're playing huge places, the 30 watt version will do just fine. If you ever wanted to get more speakers or something, I think the Classic 30 has a speaker out, so you could buy a separate cab.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I have a Palomino v50, its wayy too loud for bedroom use, hell even my Palo v8 is too loud for bedroom use. I'd go with the Classic 30 and spend the extra money on a Weber MASS.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
its an attenuator, allowing you to turn the amp up to the sweet spot and have a controllable volume that won't blow your head off.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
i have a 50 watt Randall and i never take it past 1/8 in my bedroom, and even then i don't have the preamp volumes maxed out either. otherwise it starts getting rather loud. i DO, however, get to take it outside and crank it though. so, for me, it's as practical as i make it. if you're gonna be playing it in your bedroom all the time, and don't plan on gigging much, then it's probably better to go with the 30 watt.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
if you're willing to rely on the master volume/pre-amp gain, it'll probably be alright. if you want to crank it, it'll be too loud.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an 85watt Fender Twin Reverb and im 14 and live with both mom and step dad.
Step dad plays guitar right along with me and he's into megadeth like I am.
But I usually just keep it around 2 and its a tube amp and they usually dont care.
It all depends on what you and your parents consider loud...
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
^ It's a bit different when you're using a clean amp with pedals for distortion.

We're talking about using natural, power tube overdrive. Mine doesn't kick in on the 800 until about 3.5 on the Master (or 10:00) and even then it doesn't get really awesome until you reach about 6 (1:00).
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
well I would go as high as 50 watt but you should check out the blackstar ht5 if you can afford it. Its only a 5 watt head and its great for bedroom playing.

I have a 100w peavey valveking and its loud! I have to have the volume on 0.1 -__-

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ It's a bit different when you're using a clean amp with pedals for distortion.

We're talking about using natural, power tube overdrive. Mine doesn't kick in on the 800 until about 3.5 on the Master (or 10:00) and even then it doesn't get really awesome until you reach about 6 (1:00).

Well in that case its for sure going to be loud if you want natural tube overdrive.
Even with a 30watt tube I think that would be overly loud for anyone's bedroom practice.
Unless your parents just really dont care or your in the middle of no where on your own in your own house.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
I've played the Classic 30 and I must say, it was friggin loud. I found it really hard to get a low volume on the Classic series amps. You turn the master volume to like 2 and its very loud. So if you are playing at home, get the 30. Also, 30 tube watts is plenty for gigs.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
oh yeah it's way too loud. even a 10 watter would be freakin loud in a bedroom with hard walls.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Well, you'll definitely be able to use it, but only at extreme low volumes. Tube amps sound best when they get turned up some. And 50 tube watts is comparable to about 120 solid state watts in terms of potential volume. If you're set on getting one of the peavey's, the classic 30 will work better than the 50 for bedroom playing.