I heard that a Single Coil pickup gets its particular tone from having a narrower magnetic field than a humbucker.

Humbuckers are in my experience not as bright or 'twangy' as single coils. However, if a humbucker has a wider magnetic field, and is more sensitive, wouldn't it effectively pick up a wider range of higher harmonics, therefore making it brighter?

A P-90 is a big single coil in terms of construction, but it still sounds warmer than a Fender-style single coil.

Can anyone explain this?
I'm guessing that it's because of the increased resistance and capacitance of the larger coils of a humbucker or P-90, but I'm not sure if this is true.

Thanks in advance
would it be phase cancellation? EDIT: apologies for worst description ever
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
would it be phase cancellation? EDIT: apologies for worst description ever

Where would the phase cancellation take place? I thought all harmonics are initiated simultaneously, and their frequencies are even divisions of the fundamental, so when would they be out of phase?

And I'm not sure what you mean by worst description ever.
sounds like you know more about it than i do.

maybe just the fact that it's sensing along a wider portion of the string, so there are more frequencies in there already, making things sound warmer and bigger? I dunno...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Generally larger magnets will be darker but also humbuckers tend to have a higher resistance. If you ever look at any low pass filter type design resistors feature heavily in it.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Generally larger magnets will be darker but also humbuckers tend to have a higher resistance. If you ever look at any low pass filter type design resistors feature heavily in it.

Why are larger magnets darker? Lower inductance or something?