So obviously I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to the details on amps. I have one basic question. Please don't flame me.

What are the main and defining differences between say like a Head/Cabinet combo and a regular tube amp setup like a blackface fender (I'm not quite sure what you would call these amps other than just tube)?

And if you have the time:

Are there benefits to either? Can these amps be combined for a cool tone?
One is called a stack and the other is a 'combo amp'.
It all depends on your use for the amp...
And your preference.
Really the only difference is if you think a combo is easier to haul around or a stack is easier.
Also buying a stack is a little more convenient if your going to be buying a new amp later on.
All you would have to do is get the amp head which is usually quite a bit cheaper then buying a whole new combo.

And most of the time... To answer your question... Stack amps can be combined. Say two amp heads and one cabinet.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
It definitely depends on the tone you're after. The pros to a half-stack include what Rockerdude mentioned about switching out heads, but additionally you get a much deeper bass response from a closed back 4x12 (Four 12-inch speakers) cab than an open backed combo. But sometimes heavy bass isn't what you're after. Basically, if you play harder classic rock (i.e. AC/DC style), metal, hard rock, hardcore, etc., half-stack is by far the best way to go. If you're more into the blues or jazz, then you'll more likely get what you want with a combo.
Also I'll mention that I play through a Fender tube combo, but I'm going to be buying a cab to plug my combo into so I can enjoy the best of both worlds.
Oh yea forgot to mention that. ^
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2