Hey everyone, my question is how usable is the volume from the 6505+ 1x12 version? I currently have a 2x12 5150 and love the sound, but it is entirely too loud for me to use because my amp will be mic-ed at gigs (and I want to use it to practice with in my bedroom). The best tube sound comes from the amp with post past 3, but at that volume is unbearably loud.

My solution may be to sell the 5150 and buy the 6505+ 1x12 so I can get the same type of sound, crank the post volume to get better sounds, but still be able to mic it at gigs. My other option is to buy an attenuator and use it on the 5150 with the post turned up.

What do you guys think? Is the 6505+ 1x12 more practical than the 5150 2x12 in terms of volume for my application? Note that the 6505+ 1x12 has a direct line out so I can plug it directly into the PA system if I wanted to.

If you have experience with the 6505+ 1x12, let me know what you think of it.
- 1997 PRS CE24 - Raspberry -
- Peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo -
- Dunlop 535Q Wah Pedal -
- Digitech Digital Delay -
- Digitech Multi Chorus -
it's half the wattage so there the 112 will be more reasonable on stage, dunnow if you could use it for bedroom practice though
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Half the wattage and maybe you could tr combining it with a volume pedal?

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by justinb904
it's half the wattage so there the 112 will be more reasonable on stage, dunnow if you could use it for bedroom practice though

Why not bedroom practice?
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
I know half the wattage equals lower volumes, thats common sense, but the reason why I ask is because the circuit for these amps caters to such a ridiculously loud volume that I'm afraid the 1x12 is still too loud, thats why i'm asking for people who have experience with the amp to give me advice.

As for the volume pedal, Ive thought about that before. The loudness can't be fixed before the power tubes. If you cut power/volume in the preamp stage, the sound comes out thin and weak as though you cut the volume on your guitar. This happens when a volume pedal is used in front of the guitar and/or in the effects loop.

The solution needs to come from either using and attenuator, which cuts the power before the signal hits the speakers, after the signal has passed the power tubes. OR a new, smaller (6505+ 1x12) amp.

The 5150 is heavy as hell too, which is another reason why I'm leaning toward getting the 6505+ 1x12 as opposed to getting an attenuator for the 5150.
the 212 5150 is 60 watts just like the 112 is.

And an attenuator will not help.
hmm.. you're right, they are the same wattage, but why wouldn't an attenuator help?? It makes sense to me that it would help, why don't you think it will?
Quote by Jrod4928
hmm.. you're right, they are the same wattage, but why wouldn't an attenuator help?? It makes sense to me that it would help, why don't you think it will?

That much attenuation just takes away more than it adds. Attenuators are made for bringing it down a tad at gigs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have a 5150 and a Weber Attenuator... I can crank it down really low... and sure theres tonal loss... but what would one expect... regardless I can get it to a volume no one else in the hall can hear (I'm in college) and have suitable tone... for practice...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by Jrod4928

Meant to clarify in my earlier post but stuff got in the way and I forgot lol.

To answer,

Attenuators are made to drive the power amp section of an amp to get it the tubes to break up at lower volumes (for the natural tube distortion). So unless you're using your 6505 for the clean channel only (I hope not lol) an attenuator won't be of any use.

They talk about it a bit in here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1240781&page=1&pp=20&highlight=6505+attenuator
Last edited by rlheart at Dec 31, 2009,
If you put an attenuator between the output of the amp and the input of the speakers (cab), how is it driving the power tubes? Wouldn't you have to put it in the effects loop for that?

The point of an attenuator is to be able to increase the post volume of your amp (increasing power to the power tubes) but still keep the volume at a reasonable level by reducing the signal strength before it reaches the speaker, which is where the attenuator comes in, right? Like you said, it gets the tubes to break up at lower volumes, but this should work for all channels.
Nope, you are cutting the volume going to the speakers....so you can crank the amp up louder and drive the tubes.

Also in your case it doesn't make sense for you to go from the 212 to the 112. Especially if you like your sound already
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Dec 31, 2009,
That is my point, all i want is to cut power going to the speakers and thats what an attenuator does, that other dude made it sound like an attenuator does something different. The reason for the 112 is 1) Less Volume 2) Less Weight 3) Selling 5150, buying 6505 is cheaper than buying attenuator for 5150. Hence the reason why I'm researching and asking opinions of the 112.
Quote by Jrod4928
That is my point, all i want is to cut power going to the speakers and thats what an attenuator does, that other dude made it sound like an attenuator does something different. The reason for the 112 is 1) Less Volume 2) Less Weight 3) Selling 5150, buying 6505 is cheaper than buying attenuator for 5150. Hence the reason why I'm researching and asking opinions of the 112.

112 does NOT mean less volume...its the same amount of power. 112 does not put out less volume, but less bass response. It is a bit lighter, but you will want that bass response back I'm sure. Attenuators aren't that expensive. It might be a bit cheaper to go with the 112 but it is NOT going to accomplish what you want
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
maybe I'll just fill my 5150 with helium so it is lighter and give everyone in the audience earplugs?