Hey guys and girls of the bass forums. I'm a fairly new bass player (5-6months now) and today bought a new bass, which I got for Xmas.

It's an Ibanez SR500. However, whenever I fret the lower notes (1st to about the 3rd frets) the strings make a rattling sound. The only way I can think to describe it is a metal on metal "twang".

So I was wondering if people had similar problems, whether it will go as I play it more, or do I need to adjust something on the bass itself?

Thanks in advnace
Well, you might not be pressing hard enough. But more than likely its the action on the bass, which is fixable. Take it to any guitar store, they should be able to help you out.
Their could be many explanations. Maybe the string isnt breaking at the nut. Maybe theirs not enough relief in the neck and your actions to low? etc. Were is the rattle actually coming from.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Their could be many explanations. Maybe the string isnt breaking at the nut. Maybe theirs not enough relief in the neck and your actions to low? etc. Were is the rattle actually coming from.

It seems to be coming from where the string is resting against the fret, while im holding down the string. Sorry I'm a bit of a n00b about action and relief. I know just about what it is, but not how to control, adjust it or how it directly affects the bass (and I've read the FAQ but still no answers that can clarify)

Any help is appreciated
It sounds like you need to adjust your action. You see where your strings break the bridge? You see the screws on either side of each string? Adjust these so they are higher, then come back to us.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
It sounds like you need to adjust your action. You see where your strings break the bridge? You see the screws on either side of each string? Adjust these so they are higher, then come back to us.

Adjust them so they are higher? So I don't make a catastrophic mistake on my shiny new bass, would that to loosen the screws? (i.e. a left turn?) And am I to understand correctly that I only do quater-turns at a time, then leave over night to settle?
No need at the bridge hoist away. It would be to tighten them so right.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Well guys, you two have proven to be genii. Thank you very much, I now know how to adjust my action and understand it all a little better.

The rattling has gone, and my shiny new bass sounds brilliant. Thank you again
but its harder to play with higher action... maybe you might want to sacrifice a bit of tone to make it easier to play faster riffs. you'll probably find a middle ground.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Quote by Jake the Peg
but its harder to play with higher action... maybe you might want to sacrifice a bit of tone to make it easier to play faster riffs. you'll probably find a middle ground.

Hey, well I adjusted them, just so the rattling has gone, and instantly tried to play riffs I knew were harder/faster. It felt really comfertable, but I will bear that in mind