Page 1 of 4
Not really I've never actually emailled him about any pedals but last night my friend and fellower ONMer sent me a link to a Northern ireland music forum called Fastfude that we both go on and lo and behold mr zvex himself had posted:

http://fastfude.org/topic.php?id=39053

Scroll down for his post
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
He takes pride in his work
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
I always thought that ZVex stuff looked like it was a bit up its own arse. Don't they charge like €300 for a distortion pedal that pretends to be a 1w tube amp? Nice to know I'll never be dealing with that c*nt.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by gerardwayne
I always thought that ZVex stuff looked like it was a bit up its own arse. Don't they charge like €300 for a distortion pedal that pretends to be a 1w tube amp? Nice to know I'll never be dealing with that c*nt.

That thing IS a 1 watt tube amp. It even has a built-in speaker.
Quote by WtrPlyr
So?

He is right though, you shouldn't make clones of pedals to sell them/make profit of them.

I've got nothing against making clones for personal use.

People have been making clones of pedals since ever and selling them, i mean look at danelectro cool cat series. They're basically just ripoffs of loads of other well known pedals.

Zvex is a complete dick, he'd have a lot less people cloning his pedals if he made them decently priced instead.
Quote by Zoot Allures
People have been making clones of pedals since ever and selling them, i mean look at danelectro cool cat series. They're basically just ripoffs of loads of other well known pedals.

Zvex is a complete dick, he'd have a lot less people cloning his pedals if he made them decently priced instead.

He has, the vexter series is well worth the price.
Quote by nightraven
you don't seem to understand how to run a boutique business at the scale that zvex runs his. there's more to selling pedals than costs of components.

What exactly does this 'boutique' thing mean? That some of them are hand painted or is it just an excuse to jack up the prices?

edit: and 200quid for any pedal is too much money. Zvex can't expect people to not clone pedals if he's gonna make his so expensive the average teenager in a small band can't afford one. He's a silly man.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by Zoot Allures

+1
Vex goes nuts about clones. He's actually a major jerk, as are a lot of the "Boutique" builders surprisingly enough. The Klon guy used to want your motives before selling you one, and Devi Ever is a big troll.

I remember the Barber guy being a bro though. Would definitely buy his stuff again.
Quote by Zoot Allures
What exactly does this 'boutique' thing mean? That some of them are hand painted or is it just an excuse to jack up the prices?

edit: and 200quid for any pedal is too much money. Zvex can't expect people to not clone pedals if he's gonna make his so expensive the average teenager in a small band can't afford one. He's a silly man.

Boutique Pedal

I think they are quite fairly priced in terms of how each is hand made. He has to pay employees, pay for parts, and believe it or not, make some money... otherwise his company wouldn't exist for very long. Idiot.
Quote by sashki
It amazes me that he would go to such great lengths to find people who clone his designs. Some guys in a forum? Does he personally monitor forums to see if people are cloning his stuff?

Yup. I don't have a problem with his pedals, they sound great. But his prices and attitude have turned me off. Somehow he didn't know until recently that the Landgraff Clean Boost was a dead clone of the Super Hard On though.

But seriously, every pedal is a clone of old designs. I see no problem with it, provided it isn't advertised using ZVex's name.

Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Vex goes nuts about clones. He's actually a major jerk, as are a lot of the "Boutique" builders surprisingly enough. The Klon guy used to want your motives before selling you one, and Devi Ever is a big troll.

I remember the Barber guy being a bro though. Would definitely buy his stuff again.

Have you seen any of Sean from Lovepedal's posts on other forums? That guy is the biggest jack ass I've ever seen. I love his pedals though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by nightraven
you don't seem to understand how to run a boutique business at the scale that zvex runs his. there's more to selling pedals than costs of components.

Yeah, like good public image?

The problem is people don't care enough if someone is an asshole on boards like HCFX. I'll give Devi one thing, she doesn't care if people clone her stuff and has even posted circuit diagrams of older pedals. So why does Zvex in particular have to get so uppity?

Maybe because of the price of his pedals, clones are a real threat. Then maybe they shouldn't cost so much. You can so HO FREE MARKET I CAN CHARGE WHAT I LIKE - but that means people are also free to make clones. It's not illegal. Except on HCFX where you can seriously get banned for talking about Zvex clones. lol.
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
Yup. I don't have a problem with his pedals, they sound great. But his prices and attitude have turned me off. Somehow he didn't know until recently that the Landgraff Clean Boost was a dead clone of the Super Hard On though.

But seriously, every pedal is a clone of old designs. I see no problem with it, provided it isn't advertised using ZVex's name.

Have you seen any of Sean from Lovepedal's posts on other forums? That guy is the biggest jack ass I've ever seen. I love his pedals though.

Well, if you were Zach, and you saw that what would you think? Someone stealing your design to make a profit which will simultaneously hurt your business. If he was making a clone just for his own use, more power to him, but selling it for profit is just wrong.
Quote by Melodic_Rocker
Well, if you were Zach, and you saw that what would you think? Someone stealing your design to make a profit which will simultaneously hurt your business. If he was making a clone just for his own use, more power to him, but selling it for profit is just wrong.

Zach wouldn't like it if someone made an original circuit that people pit against the Fuzz Factory either. He famously throws a hissy fit when people start talking about it - like with Tom Dalton/Fuzzhugger's Wolf Computer, then AB Synth(He even tried to suggest that it was infringing on the copyright of a VST plugin called Abysnth). In fairness I've seen Tom Dalton be a prick too but it didn't make Zvex right.

Zvex is actually an ass, and he's well known for it on HCFX and TGP. The problem is he's a protected member on HCFX(despite having gotten banned once or twice) since Craig and Phil are pricks too.
Quote by Melodic_Rocker

Then I guess all of the companies selling Tubescreamer clones are out of line?

The people who buy the clones of ZVex pedals typically can't afford the real thing so they buy the clones. The real thing wouldn't have been bought either way.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by nightraven
bollocks. i don't know where that myth about having to tell Klon about your gear and if it's worthy enough for his pedal came from - but it's not true and the myth has been busted many times
and even though i'm really not a fan of devi ever pedals - i can't believe you complain about her behaviour on the internet. probably one of the builders most in touch with the people buying the stuff around.
and surely you'd be pissed off if people were cloning and selling your designs?

Have you seen some of Devi's troll threds? Seriously? Yes Devi posts a lot but she's still a jerk. Both Devi and Zvex can be quite vicious, especially Zvex.

Where has the myth been busted about the Klon guy?

And if you're someone from ILF who knows Devi you almost definitely remember the Zvex AB Synth thread. They HATE Zvex over there.

you sound like such a troll - were you banned from harmony central or something?

More than once, and no I'm not a troll. Phil is a horrible moderator, maybe one of the worst I've ever encountered. Being banned from that site does not count for anything. "Oh you're just saying that because you're banned lol" is pretty stupid since very often people end up getting banned for "saying that" to begin with. I've had bad personal experiences with a lot of the posters there including Zvex, Devi and others. It's just one unbelievable shit hole.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

Where has the myth been busted about the Klon guy?

I know several people who bought them back in the 90s who say it wasn't true. And I've e-mailed him with questions and he's always been fairly friendly and helpful.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I know several people who bought them back in the 90s who say it wasn't true. And I've e-mailed him with questions and he's always been fairly friendly and helpful.

This is an older thing, I know he doesn't do it anymore unless you specifically ask. It could be shit. But I still have next to no confidence with Boutique builders.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
This is an older thing, I know he doesn't do it anymore unless you specifically ask. It could be shit. But I still have next to no confidence with Boutique builders.

He's never done it. He started building them in the 90s. The guys I know bought them after reading Ken Fischer's review, not too long after they were first put into production. That said, only one still has his.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

The Klon is far too much of a corksniffer thing really, someone did a comparison between it and the Bad Monkey and while it was sparkly and less compressed it was hard to say it sounded all that much "better". You could probably easily mod a Bad Monkey or SD-1 to sound like it. Maybe in the 90s it seemed more impressive.
I think I would feel the same way Zvex does if the pedals were mine. That said, The Machine is NOT worth $320 -_-
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
The Klon is far too much of a corksniffer thing really, someone did a comparison between it and the Bad Monkey and while it was sparkly and less compressed it was hard to say it sounded all that much "better". You could probably easily mod a Bad Monkey or SD-1 to sound like it. Maybe in the 90s it seemed more impressive.

As an overdrive, I thought it was about on the level of the Bad Monkey. As a clean boost is where it really shines. That said, I still wouldn't buy one unless the price is good and now that they've been discontinued, that'll probably never happen.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by nightraven
i agree with you to an extent (mostly because of something that happened over at this forum just the other day) - there is a hell of a lot of crap inside some boutique pedals. but in the end zvex puts together a well-built and original pedal rather than a half-assed clone of a timmy or a klon or something. sure the pedals are expensive but what's the problem when he isn't going to struggle to get people interested. i wonder what your thoughts are on frantone's $800 pedals.

I think they're ridiculous but this is also what I mean by Devi being a jerk, Devi & co. pretty much chased her off the board. I think that's unfair. I think people should have the right to poke a bit of fun at such ridiculous prices though. I just can't see why $800 is justified for a 2 in 1 Fuzz. I think what matters though if the builder is a sound out guy, then I won't tear into them. Devi's pedals are very good for boutique, but until she knocks it off on HCFX she's not really that nice a person. Both Zvex's prices and personality are off.

Have you seen the inside of a Zvex pedal? it doesn't really look like a Boutique pedal. The Barber stuff looks really sexy inside on the other hand.
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
I think I would feel the same way Zvex does if the pedals were mine. That said, The Machine is NOT worth $320 -_-

I agree with you about the machine,

From his website: "One thing to keep in mind, however, is that this pedal basically sounds horrible." But you know feel free to spend $320 on it
Quote by nightraven
the centaur will be back in production next year in a small enclosure

Yea but the big enclosure just has soooo much mojo. If you thought the price of the gold ones with the graphic is ridiculous now, just wait.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
As an overdrive, I thought it was about on the level of the Bad Monkey. As a clean boost is where it really shines. That said, I still wouldn't buy one unless the price is good and now that they've been discontinued, that'll probably never happen.

A clean boost isn't something I ever imagine being worth a lot of money. It's just taking your signal and making it louder. If it makes it more "sparkly" it's not really a clean boost anymore I guess.
Quote by mattman93
I agree with you about the machine,

From his website: "One thing to keep in mind, however, is that this pedal basically sounds horrible." But you know feel free to spend $320 on it

Exactly! And this wouldnt bother me if I didnt want one so much!
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by nightraven
i haven't ever spoken to devi personally but i haven't had a problem with her posting on ILF or HC. there's a difference between poking fun at prices of pedals and calling the builder a "cunt" about them (as someone earlier in the thread did).

It's easy to miss these threads I guess. I'm surprised if you post at ILF you haven't noticed the bad blood with Zvex there.
Quote by nightraven

you sound like such a troll - were you banned from harmony central or something?

Thats because he IS a troll

He acts like this in nearly every thread I've seen him post, learned to disregard his stupid lil ass a while ago

And pedals over 200 bucks not being worth it? I've seen pedals WAY over 200 bucks
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
This link will get you banned from HCFX.

http://diy-stompbox.com/Compression/ZMachineFX.htm

Now that site, I have a problem with as it's a blatantly using ZVex's graphic style and references to his name.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by nightraven
i don't post in the devi ever forum because i'm not into her pedals
i hang around the dr scientist place

also

i remember your last troll thread on HC. big rant about how unfair the mods are? that was really stupid.

Yeah, that was me, and actually it wasn't. Like I said, you missed a lot of the HCFX troll threads. The basic premise was that the mods let Zvex attack Fuzzhugger/Tom yet people making similar attacks were regularly banned. I'd also been banned previously for posting the link I did earlier, yet other discussions of clones were acceptable - it was inconsistantly and this was ridiculous as it was like playing minesweeper. The reason I fell out with Devi, Tom & Co. is because I was essentially defending them and arguing their case, yet they not only refused to go near the thread to help a bro ot, they actually active jerked me around. The thread was really harsh on me, so I got frustrated at Devi, who then hit below the belt posting some very sensitive personal information.

I even apologised for the remark I made, but I still ended up banned from ILF without making a single offensive post, Tom said it was to get me to settle down which turned out to be a lie, and I got called a mental patient among other things.

ILF was a place I got on fairly well with and I had a lot of friends there. Unfortunately it's a HCFX offshoot and that doesn't result in anything god. This isn't the first time Devi did this to me either - the last time I got 10 sob emails saying how sorry she was. I'm not getting that this time because she has people backing her up. I really think I have every right to pissed off at Zvex, Devi, HCFX etc.

HCFX is a vicious place. I honestly can't see how you'd think, from the outside, the mods do a good job. Craig even had the nerve to say Phil does a "thankless job" when people are constantly worshipping him. When a forum full of trolls worships their mod, something is up, sorry. I lost all my patience with people on gear forums after this.

Anyway, don't trust HCFX members or Boutique Builders is the moral of the story. Also a lot of people who put on a "nice" face can be major dicks when it comes down to it. I was wary of Devi but Tom really surprised me - he actually, like Zvex in the subject of this thread, stalked me to another forum where I made a vaguely negative comment. I'm glad I didn't buy his pedals - though I was a big Devi supporter before, and I'm wondering should I sell my pedals or what. They're still nice pedals.

Don't presume someone is a troll just because they sound angry. Trolls make people angry, not the other way around. There are some genuinely evil people on HCFX and the mods could care less.
Quote by mmolteratx
Now that site, I have a problem with as it's a blatantly using ZVex's graphic style and references to his name.

There are plenty of knock off style products that do something similar. It's very hard to copyright the name "Machine" - it's "Zvex The Machine", whereas this is just Z Machine. I agree it's dodgy ground, but not ban-worthy.
I think the whole Klon thing is stupid, but at the same time, builders who come up with their own designs have become extremely protective of them. Paul Cochrane offers the Timmy pedal at a very good price $130 and when the Dano clone came out, a ton of people canceled their orders and bought the $30 Transparent OD. A lot of builders try to protect themsevles against that and there is nothing wrong with it.

As for the person saying that he needs to lower his prices. The Vexter pedals are no more expensive than any other boutique pedals.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
There are plenty of knock off style products that do something similar. It's very hard to copyright the name "Machine" - it's "Zvex The Machine", whereas this is just Z Machine. I agree it's dodgy ground, but not ban-worthy.

Oh, I think you shouldn't have been banned, you were just the messenger. I'm just saying, that the guys selling those are out of line.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Page 1 of 4