Page 1 of 2
Well I want to start recording my own stuff and I need to buy a Mic.

What is something you would reccomend. I do not want to spend more than 100 dollars and my vocals are kind of like a more Baritone corey taylor (more stonesour than slipknot).
Quote by blue_strat
Can't go wrong with a Shure SM57.

Of course you can. You can go VERY VERY wrong with an SM57. Don't bandwagon.

This question seems to be focused on vocals, not guitar. For vocals under $100, there are two options that I have experience with:

MXL 990- around $70, it's a pretty mediocre mic, it'll get the job done.

Golden Age FC1 MKII- $99, amazing mic for the price. I personally own this and use it often. You can find it at www.altomusic.com (I highly recommend that store!). I recorded all of these vocals and acoustic guitars with it: www.myspace.com/kriscambria

For both mics you will need an interface with phantom power. If your interface doesn't have phantom power, you can get an outboard power source for $20-60. If you don't have an interface, you MUST buy one before you can record anything halfway decent.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
SM58 is not bad either. I use one regularly on a PA as well as my personal SM48. They both sound pretty good when you have a competent engineer.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Quote by Sid McCall
Of course you can. You can go VERY VERY wrong with an SM57. Don't bandwagon.

Not really, plenty of people use just a 57 for vocals.

It's great if you've got a vocalist who can't do the whole behind the pop shield into the condenser bit and actually wants to throw herself/himself into the music a bit more. Just gotta make sure no cupping goes on.

57 also has a flatter frequency response in the areas that matter compared to a 58.
Yeah this one is about vocals, I like to rock out but I`m not going to do anything screamo. I always planned on getting another mic for guitar anywat (I was planning another question after I figured this out lol.
Assuming you have an interface with phantom power I'd advise the Audio Technica AT2020 - looks like you can get some bundles on ebay for under $100 with a stand & cable, which is never a bad thing to have.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I don`t have any interface stuff I`m totally new, guess I`m going to have to splurge more than I had hoped.
Yeah, if you don't have an interface your recordings will all sound pretty rubbish - there are a few threads stickied about decent interfaces within a low price range. If you're planning on recording vocals, you'll probably end up using a condenser microphone of some sort, which will require phantom power, so make sure to look for an interface which can provide +48v phantom power to a microphone.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
SM57's are great mic in general. Even though can be used for recording its typically not used for vocals in the studio. Good for Vocals in a live setting, But used more for mic-ing cabs or percussive instruments. I would recommend a Condenser mic for vocals. Due to your budget I would go with Sid's advice on the MXL 990 or the Golden Age FC1 MKI.
I know this is probably a noob question but I didn`t see a noobs read this first thread.

Whats the difference between a compressor mic and a dynamic mic?

If I had to guess I would say it is that a compressor is for novices so they don`t sound like crap but you lose some of the integrity of the sound, where a Dynamic is more true but takes more skill to weild. Did I get close?
Quote by SilentFactor
I know this is probably a noob question but I didn`t see a noobs read this first thread.

Whats the difference between a compressor mic and a dynamic mic?

If I had to guess I would say it is that a compressor is for novices so they don`t sound like crap but you lose some of the integrity of the sound, where a Dynamic is more true but takes more skill to weild. Did I get close?

Nowhere near

It's to do with the way in which a microphone picks up sound, but in practical terms, dynamic mics are much less sensitive than condensers - they are commonly used on instruments that have a high output, or that don't require as much clarity of sound, whereas condenser mics are more sensitive (and also more easily damaged), but because they have a much wider range of pickup they are more likely to pick up sounds you don't want. Condenser microphones are usually used for recording vocals because they pick up the slight nuances of the human voice better than dynamic mics, but in a live situation it isn't practical, as they would also pick up every other instrument on stage & create a very messy sound. In the studio this is less of a problem.

EDIT -> Neither type is better/worse than the other, they are just more useful for different applications.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Dec 30, 2009,
Audio interface. Usually they come with some kind of program.
Line6 Pod HD500
Quote by Beefmo
Not really, plenty of people use just a 57 for vocals.

True, but I was mostly correcting the 'can't go wrong with an sm57' part because you CAN go wrong with them, and I have in the past. I've spent countless hours in my school's studio and 57s are not always the answer, although they are the go-to mic. I still hate them on vocals, especially when a nice condenser is an option.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
True, but I was mostly correcting the 'can't go wrong with an sm57' part because you CAN go wrong with them, and I have in the past. I've spent countless hours in my school's studio and 57s are not always the answer, although they are the go-to mic. I still hate them on vocals, especially when a nice condenser is an option.

I totally agree, but it's a better choice than a Samson Q7
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sid McCall

+1 to that.

i am starting to like condensor mics a **** load more on the snare also
Samson q7 is poor you say? I don`t want to buy anything if it isn`t going to be satisfactory.

Audio Technica AT2020? I`ll check it out.

Thanks for all the help guys.

And Alter Bridge rocks!
The 57 provides a better than average mic which is acceptable for use as a vocal or instrument mic at an affordable price for live work or even some studio work.

In a studio you're better off using a condenser mic.

*edit* better than average for a given value of average.
Line6 Pod HD500
Quote by CatharsisStudio
+1 to that.

i am starting to like condensor mics a **** load more on the snare also

I read an article in sound on sound (UK magazine) about that - sounds like a pretty sound idea to me, I would guess you get a larger snare sound (probably closer to a 2 dynamic mic set up than 1) without the inevitable phasing issues. How do you contend with bleed?

Quote by SilentFactor
Samson q7 is poor you say? I don`t want to buy anything if it isn`t going to be satisfactory.

Audio Technica AT2020? I`ll check it out.

Thanks for all the help guys.

And Alter Bridge rocks!

Samson's mics aren't the best, a girl in my band at music college owns the Q7 and when we practiced I always got her to use one of my SM58's, I found the Q7 to be much more wooly sounding and less clear - you could get much much better results with a condenser mic for recording - but it means getting an audio interface with phantom power.

The AT2020 is marginally better than the MXL900 that Sid McCall recommended, and I've never heard of Golden Age mics so I can't comment on them really.

Also, hell yeah they rock!
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by CatharsisStudio
if the golden age mic is anything like their mic pre. its going to shit over everythiing haha

In some cases you get what you pay for.
Quote by JoeAudio
In some cases you get what you pay for.

My opinion of cheaply made chinese mics seems to be increasingly improving. The recordings on Sid McCall's link are astonishing for something costing less than $100
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
My opinion of cheaply made chinese mics seems to be increasingly improving. The recordings on Sid McCall's link are astonishing for something costing less than $100

I agree. Also comes down to the engineer, experience, technique, and/or gear use in conjunction with the mic.
AT2020's the way to go. i own one myself, and have compared it to a 990, and can honestly say that it blows the 990 out of the waters. granted, it's still a $100 condenser mic, so it's on the very low end of condensers, but for the money you'll be hard pressed to find a better one.
Guys, forgot to mention that I do a demo of the GA mic on my page, go listen to it! Also, it's not Chinese, it's Swedish! And just like my Volvo, it's effing amazing!
Quote by JoeAudio
I agree. Also comes down to the engineer, experience, technique, and/or gear use in conjunction with the mic.

Well in the case of those recordings, I have very little experience running everything alone, I'm usually with a group of far superior engineers when I'm in the studio. I managed to pull off those recordings with an Mbox Mini and the GA mic in ProTools LE, all of which I was basically BSing my way through. As much as I hate to admit it, the mic is responsible for the majority of the killer sound there.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by Sid McCall
Guys, forgot to mention that I do a demo of the GA mic on my page, go listen to it! Also, it's not Chinese, it's Swedish! And just like my Volvo, it's effing amazing!

Well in the case of those recordings, I have very little experience running everything alone, I'm usually with a group of far superior engineers when I'm in the studio. I managed to pull off those recordings with an Mbox Mini and the GA mic in ProTools LE, all of which I was basically BSing my way through. As much as I hate to admit it, the mic is responsible for the majority of the killer sound there.

For what you used its sound great! Very nice! Isn't that what really matters in the end. The sound. If it Sounds good it is good. (this is subjective, of course) lol but regardless, it's a good recording!
Quote by Pat O'brien
Get the MXL 990. I got it with the 991 (which I use for guitar) for like $100

Don't get the MXL 990. They are sub par starter mics that only sound good after a lot of post processing.

Get the AT2020 if you're looking for a good cheap mic
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
http://www.altomusic.com/altoweb/getproduct?prodid=10495

My friends, buy lots of these! I've shopped at Alto Music for years and they're FINALLY online. Their flagship store is 20 minutes from my house, so I spend a lot of time there. Amazing place, it's like if guitar center didn't suck. They still tried to make me test a pedal through a line 6 the other day, but it didn't take much convincing to get them to drag out the same amp I use, so it was all good.

http://www.altomusic.com/altoweb/get?dept=200&brand=247

There's the whole range of mics and pres from GA, there are some AMAZING deals in there, trust me!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Dec 30, 2009,
ughhh, damn not living in the USA. Alto says they ship worldwide, but the import tax would be a killer - also I currently have no money.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
ughhh, damn not living in the USA. Alto says they ship worldwide, but the import tax would be a killer - also I currently have no money.

Well the company is based in Sweden, so they probably carry the mics somewhere in the UK as well. In fact, I'm almost positive of it because when I was doing research on them I found a site that had the prices listed in GBP.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by CatharsisStudio
just bought 2 of em

By which I hope you mean you went with the matched stereo pair of FC2 mics? It's $20 more than buying two FC1s and you get pad switches on them.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

ps. what happened to you being broke as a joke? Last time we talked you said you were dirt poor from buying gear hahaha
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
MXR makes good USB Mics And also check e-bay for AKG Perception mics.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by halfstacked
MXR makes good USB Mics

I'm fairly sure that no such thing exists.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Page 1 of 2