I've heard a lot of good about reaper so I downloaded it today. The problem is whenever I playback a track I just recorded it is REALLY quiet. I'm using a USB samson condenser mic directly into my laptop. Using other software it sounds fine, but with reaper it's just really quiet.

I've tried adding gain and/or volume but then it adds a lot of noise. So is this normal or will it be that quiet when I mixdown and master the final product?
(Invalid img)

EDIT: **** me i'm trying
Last edited by JayLacelle at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by JayLacelle
(Invalid img)

EDIT: **** me i'm trying

Just upload to imageshack or something first, then put that link in the img brackets. Almost there
In order to use a Condenser Mic you'll need a 48v phantom power supply and a pre-amp which your Laptop doesn't have. You'll need an Interface that has both Phantom power and pre-amp.
Quote by JoeAudio
In order to use a Condenser Mic you'll need a 48v phantom power supply and a pre-amp which your Laptop doesn't have. You'll need an Interface that has both Phantom power and pre-amp.

it's a USB mic and i'm 100% sure it doesn't require phantom power. otherwise it wouldn't work at all. like i said the mic works fine it's just quiet with reaper.

and screenshots to come btw.
Quote by JoeAudio

If you read the post you would have realised that he is using a USB condenser microphone, which is powered & recorded through a USB socket.

Much as I hate USB microphones - this shouldn't be normal. Check your sound input settings in reaper, I can't go into any specifics as I'm not very familliar with reaper, but if you can't find a solution, you could always record all of your tracks in whatever software you were using before and then transfer the audio files into reaper to mix them.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
If you read the post you would have realised that he is using a USB condenser microphone, which is powered & recorded through a USB socket.

Much as I hate USB microphones - this shouldn't be normal. Check your sound input settings in reaper, I can't go into any specifics as I'm not very familliar with reaper, but if you can't find a solution, you could always record all of your tracks in whatever software you were using before and then transfer the audio files into reaper to mix them.

thanks ill try that.

Yes my bad, didnt see the USB part, but the rest of my post holds true, and I agree with Sonny, not a big fan of USB mics, but you make with you you got!
Bit of a long shot, but it could be the drivers, you could try ASIO4ALL and see if that solves your problem.
ok guys i just found the problem. For some reason the level was set really low for the mic in the windows control panel. idk why this only affected reaper, but once i raised it the playback sounds loud and clear.

thanks for the help.
Quote by JayLacelle
ok guys i just found the problem. For some reason the level was set really low for the mic in the windows control panel. idk why this only affected reaper, but once i raised it the playback sounds loud and clear.

thanks for the help.

It's always cool to know there are people here to help you out, But there isn't a better feeling of troubleshooting and finding out the problem yourself. Good job! happy recordings!