When I read reviews I hear people say like "this guitar is good it has fast action" or "the neck is so fast" I don't get it you're as fast as you move your hand what does "fast action" or the "action" mean?
Action is how high/low the strings are on he fretboard. So if the action is pretty low it is faster because you get a sound of the string faster because you finger puts the string to the fretboard faster and makes it easier to play
Quote by bobthebum16
Action is how high/low the strings are on he fretboard. So if the action is pretty low it is faster because you get a sound of the string faster because you finger puts the string to the fretboard faster and makes it easier to play

Perfectly stated.
Equipment

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Vox Night Train + Avatar 212
Looking for pedals!
Well it's a preference thing. Whatever feels better for the player.
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Quote by jesus the strat
So if you play faster with lower action, why dont all guitars just have really low action?

cuz that's make things boring. some people just prefer higher action
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Action is how high the strings are from the frets. Generally low action translates to greater comfort at high playing speeds. Some guitars can't get very low action because of poor quality control, bad frets, etc. When people say fast action, it just means that it can have super low action without dead notes, too much buzz, etc.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Dont want to low action...its prety bad when your frets buzz ridiculously and it seems like they arent even stringed
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
Quote by jesus the strat
So if you play faster with lower action, why dont all guitars just have really low action?

This is what many manufacturers actually try to achieve. This depends on how much attention it gets during set up. Some (really) cheap guitars might not be set up at all and leave that to the music store guys (who also can't be bothered). On more expensive guitars, they spend extra time setting it up for a straight neck, even fret sizes, good nut height and string guage all of which contribute to a low action without fret buzz.

Some people prefer high action for clarity, as the string can ring out more freely with nothing in its way, or to deliberately make it harder to play, to challenge themselves.
If the action is really low does that mean there will be more fret buzz?
Quote by dsan224
If the action is really low does that mean there will be more fret buzz?

Depends on the guitar. Some will buzz more than others. A lot of people are trying to find the right balance between the lowest possible string height and the least amount of buzz.

If it's TOO LOW and the string has no room to vibrate, there'll be nothing but buzz, but no-one goes that low. Hopefully.
Quote by Commodor 64
What about when people say the neck is really fast. Is that the same thing?

No,
It's all a matter of opinion and what feels best to you.

If a guitar feels great to you...and your able to pull off those licks that are right on your edge of ability with your current guitar...then you can say it has a " fast neck "
Equipment

Looking for pedals!
Fast neck and low action are 2 different things that I think you're combining. Fast neck means you can move your hand around it faster because there's less friction. It is done by using thin necks and unfinished or satin necks. The fret size is typically bigger on "fast necks" to get a scalloped feel. Low action means there's little distance between the frets and strings. Both of them are all personal preference. If you were playing slide guitar, you would probably want high action. So guitar manufacturers can't be blamed for the setup because they don't know how you want your guitar. And fretboard radius determines how low the action can get.
Quote by Commodor 64
What about when people say the neck is really fast. Is that the same thing?

No, they just say stuff like that to make you buy the guitar - ultimately it's all pretty much down to personal preference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by JELIFISH19
Fast neck and low action are 2 different things that I think you're combining. Fast neck means you can move your hand around it faster because there's less friction. It is done by using thin necks and unfinished or satin necks. The fret size is typically bigger on "fast necks" to get a scalloped feel. Low action means there's little distance between the frets and strings. Both of them are all personal preference. If you were playing slide guitar, you would probably want high action. So guitar manufacturers can't be blamed for the setup because they don't know how you want your guitar. And fretboard radius determines how low the action can get.

I've never heard this before, and I find it interesting. Does a wider radius mean lower action, or vice versa?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So a fast neck would be like the neck of the guitar being easy to slide on, kinda like lubricated (but not really lubricated of course), and fast action would be when the strings are closer to the neck, so pressing it down is faster?
my h-50 i would say has a slow neck, why? if i rest my thumb on the back of the neck while doing some quick slides say a few slides from Master of Puppets, i get a lot of friction making it very slow and not smooth. it has a glossy finish, and i believe thats why its a slow neck. otherwise its fine though if i were to not use my thumb as my anchoring point
Quote by dsan224
So a fast neck would be like the neck of the guitar being easy to slide on, kinda like lubricated (but not really lubricated of course)

Not exactly LUBRICATED but smoother and thinner.

Quote by dsan224
and fast action would be when the strings are closer to the neck, so pressing it down is faster?

Yeah

Quote by Gibson74
Perfectly stated

Thank you sir

Quote by jesus the strat

Different action for different applications. You ever try playing slide on a guitar with REALLY low action? It's a pain.
well the neck is just the feel. if you like it, your going to be able to play better/faster/whatever on it.

some necks like shred guitars have a flatter radius and are thinner which most would say facilitiates "shredding". so that could mean fast. or perhaps easily playable...such as 59 les pauls are known to have a good neck profile that people like. bla bla bla. thats one of the reasons many famous players have custom necks on their custom guitars.

and yeah action is the strings. bad guitars cant because of bad hardware and tolerances, or bad frets. if you have a quality guitars where all parts are in good working order, you are able to set strings lower without getting buzz and other issues...making them play better
also, making guitars that have extremly low action is not that easy and they can cost alot of money.