Hey, this is just a general question not a probelm i need solving like my usual threads here :P

I wanna know, why is it when you turn up the bass on the amp eq when there's a fuzz pedal going into it that it gets this squashed up squishy tone? This even happens on synths on programmes like reason too, so what's going on?
I would guess that it's because most of the fundamental frequencies produced by the guitar lie within the range that is governed by the "bass" control.
They're the loudest frequencies, so as you turn them up, they quickly reach a point of saturation, giving it that squishy tone.

Are we thinking of the same tone?
Quote by sashki
I would guess that it's because most of the fundamental frequencies produced by the guitar lie within the range that is governed by the "bass" control.
They're the loudest frequencies, so as you turn them up, they quickly reach a point of saturation, giving it that squishy tone.

Are we thinking of the same tone?

I could upload a clip to my profile that i recorded a while ago of what im on about, it's a few riffs.

(gonna try uploadin now)

edit: done, ergh ._. sounds abit muffled and crap in mp3 quality, had to reduce it because it kept rejecting the file type
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 30, 2009,
Yeah, I get what you mean. I guess that's just the bass frequencies (ie. the fundamental frequencies of the notes) being pushed over the limit, resulting in a compressed tone.

Electronic devices have a maximum voltage range. If the signal exceeds that voltage, it is simply "flattened" at the peak (look up "clipping" on wikipedia). This results in compression. I'm finding it kind of hard to explain concisely.