What a noise gate does is cuts off the signal when its volume drops below a certain level. When you're not playing, there's no signal to the amp.

I'm not sure if a noise suppressor is any different, but both are used to reduce hum.
Quote by britishsligean
what's the difference. will both reduce the amount of hum coming from an amp?

Ok what kind of amp you have ?

If you put in effects loop it reduces his in amp. If you put in front after guitar and od/dis it it supresses the guitar and od noise.

Effectively with a noisey amp you would want two or one that can run in the loop and in front at same time like a decimator g string or ns2
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by ChuggyMcBr00tlz
Ok what kind of amp you have ?

If you put in effects loop it reduces his in amp. If you put in front after guitar and od/dis it it supresses the guitar and od noise.

Effectively with a noisey amp you would want two or one that can run in the loop and in front at same time like a decimator g string or ns2

i haven't got a proper amp at the moment but i'm in the process of getting a blackstar ht-5, and i use a high level of distortion i.e from above the 12 o'clock position, and i don't have the worlds best pickups, stock epiphones . i was juat wondering because the hiss i had from my old amp was so bad i could have riped my hair out.