I'll start off by saying that I can't play fast. The fastest I can downpick thrash style is at the speed of Tornado of Souls by Megadeth, or in other words, a little under 200 bps, doing eighth notes. The fastest I can alternate pick is the speed of Redneck by Lamb Of God (not in metal thread, I know, but my best example), about 130.

My question to you is: Do you personally think a metal artist can succeed and be heavy while lacking the ability to write good songs? Can a metal band not have a blazing song and still have their song be considered awesome? If so, can that apply to their entire catalogue of material?
A bit confused by that. Are you asking if a metal band can have succes, even though their music isn't technically difficult to play?

If so. Then yes, I think and hope so
Quote by rg_metal
I love to utilize furniture to achieve the desired penetration.

UGH!
taste
kaygade
Quote by DashBlaster
My question to you is: Do you personally think a metal artist can succeed and be heavy while lacking the ability to write good songs?

Slayer's done it for the past 20 years or so. As far as a catalogue goes, every album they've put out sounds the same, and they're one of the most successful metal acts in existence. Know why? Because they write to please the people who hate any band that does something not like their last LP. So here's my take on it -

Write to please yourself and the band, not to please the people who want to hear your first album seven times under a different title, or otherwise. If you're not satisfied with your skill/music, work harder. That's all it takes.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Dec 30, 2009,
lots of great metal is not technically demanding.

but you have to be able to write a good song.. if you cant do that then you are ****ed.
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Quote by strat0blaster
Slayer's done it for the past 20 years or so. As far as a catalogue goes, every album they've put out sounds the same, and they're one of the most successful metal acts in existence. Know why? Because they write to please the people who hate any band that does something not like their last LP. So here's my take on it -

Write to please yourself and the band, not to please the people who want to hear your first album seven times under a different title, or otherwise. If you're not satisfied with your skill/music, work harder. That's all it takes.

Slayer plays fast. I'm not talking about their albums sounding the same. I'm asking whether a metal band thrive even though they don't play any pieces breakneck speed.
Quote by DashBlaster
Slayer plays fast. I'm not talking about their albums sounding the same. I'm asking whether a metal band thrive even though they don't play any pieces breakneck speed.

Do you listen to any successful metal bands who don't play at breakneck speed? Most metal bands don't play at pace with Batio or Yngwie. There are plenty subgenres and derivitives of metal that aren't thrash and speed.

Per example - Meshuggah.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
There is a lot of metal which isn't played at breakneck speed. Doom, Drone, Stoner etc
I enjoy going on interviews with Dave Mustaine and Counting how many times it says 'Metallica'

On making a death metal bands logo:
Quote by rabidguitarist
Just duct tape a pen to a dogs face.

UK Hardcore FTW
Well, the bands I listen to don't all play at 250bpm, but majority of them play just a hair bit faster than I'm capable of.

But you're all right. I think I'm being a bit naive.

EDIT: I really don't like doom or stoner of sludge metal much either. For the music I like (Bodom, Gojira, Lamb Of God, Megadeth, Arch Enemy) it requires chops.

And Meshuggah is very technical...
Last edited by DashBlaster at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by DashBlaster
EDIT: I really don't like doom or stoner of sludge metal much either. For the music I like (Bodom, Gojira, Lamb Of God, Megadeth, Arch Enemy) it requires chops.

you are a moron

Baroness, Mastodon, High On Fire, Altor Of Oblivion, Ereb Altor, Skald...

they want to have a word with you
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Scald solos are the best solos in metal, bar none.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by DashBlaster
Well, the bands I listen to don't all play at 250bpm, but majority of them play just a hair bit faster than I'm capable of.

But you're all right. I think I'm being a bit naive.

Go play it. And count on your own time.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
I don't know about that, they can't play at 13nps above 200 bpm

not very metal imo
HESSIAN HAREM
Damn, neither they can.

Must be hip-hop then, god damn ******s.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Quote by Senor Kristian
A bit confused by that. Are you asking if a metal band can have succes, even though their music isn't technically difficult to play?

Quote by progbass
you are a moron

Baroness, Mastodon, High On Fire, Altor Of Oblivion, Ereb Altor, Skald...

they want to have a word with you

Sorry, I worded that wrong. Not chops. But you know what I mean.
Quote by DashBlaster
My question to you is: Do you personally think a metal artist can succeed and be heavy while lacking the ability to write good songs? Can a metal band not have a blazing song and still have their song be considered awesome? If so, can that apply to their entire catalogue of material?

Can they succeed while producing terrible music at the same time? It's been going on for a very long time in every genre. Can they be heavy and succeed? Don't know.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by potatohead_33
But Slipknot has 94 guys to make up for it

dont forget the masks
I play doom because I can't play fast lol.

If worst comes to worst you could always start a Burzum cover band.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
You can succeed without playing fast, yes, but what's the actual problem here? You can't play fast, and have given up trying and still hope that there's some chance you can play metal? Every guitar player you listen to was not born with the ability to play fast. They all started at the bottom and worked their way to their great technique. There's no reason why you can't either.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by DashBlaster
Sorry, I worded that wrong. Not chops. But you know what I mean.

no I don't think anyone does

being fast doesnt mean you are automatically heavy

in fact, general concensus is slower = heavier

can you be extremely popular and troo at the same time? no, I think not. but that's my opinion, obviously

And I'm with Eminus, I blow on guitar, unless we are playing doom, in which case I'm just a riff machine
HESSIAN HAREM
Quote by DashBlaster
I'll start off by saying that I can't play fast. The fastest I can downpick thrash style is at the speed of Tornado of Souls by Megadeth, or in other words, a little under 200 bps, doing eighth notes. The fastest I can alternate pick is the speed of Redneck by Lamb Of God (not in metal thread, I know, but my best example), about 130.

You've evidently heard very little metal. Ever heard of doom metal?

The idea that you can not be able to write a good song, but still be heavy, is simply silly. Heaviness is result of songwriting, not some amp setting. If your songs are spectacularly heavy, you've done something right at least. The idea that technical talent = good music = shit on a stick.
mastodon, baroness, high on fire, doom metal, ahab, funeral

They play slow a lot and are full of chops.
I drink your milkshake.
can I just say, playing fast is in no way a measure of technical prowess, let alone knowledge of the instrument?

My teacher runs circles around anything I do, and he doesn't play very fast; he plays in many different styles, knows theory backwards and can play fingerstyle or with a pick in his sleep. Considering metal playing is more or less a more intense variation of all of those things, you have the cart before the horse.

Know your instrument closer than your family; to be able to write in any language, you must first know the language - the letters, syntax, grammar rules and the language character - as in slang, cultural terms and so on. Same applies to guitar and music in general. Having "chops" isn't only relevant to how fast you play

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
can I just say, playing fast is in no way a measure of technical prowess, let alone knowledge of the instrument?

My teacher runs circles around anything I do, and he doesn't play very fast; he plays in many different styles, knows theory backwards and can play fingerstyle or with a pick in his sleep. Considering metal playing is more or less a more intense variation of all of those things, you have the cart before the horse.

Know your instrument closer than your family; to be able to write in any language, you must first know the language - the letters, syntax, grammar rules and the language character - as in slang, cultural terms and so on. Same applies to guitar and music in general. Having "chops" isn't only relevant to how fast you play

This.

To me, it isn't the technical abilities of the band that is important. It's the ability to write a good song. In fact I think a lot of the time, speed is used a crutch for lack of ability to be "heavy", or to write a good riff/song.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Dec 31, 2009,
There's so many ways to be successful without speed. You can do some pretty groovey stuff without playin fast and you can play like sluge and doom stuff. And if picking is your problem you can learn ways to apply tapping for technical stuff.
slow>fast
but if you want to improve your speed buy a metronome and spend hours practicing.