Pit, I found out my first semester GPA and it's not looking too well. I received two B's and a D along with two satisfactory's giving me a 2.1 . I still don't know what I want to do for a career and I'm wondering if I should be worried about the rest of my years in college. Please cheer me up pit.
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
most people have a bad first semester/year

relax.
you're not alone.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
I had a pretty low GPA my first two years and just got back over a 3.0 this last quarter. You have time to do better and retake some classes.
Were you trying hard and putting in the necessary hours to get good grades, or were you slacking off?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Were you trying hard and putting in the necessary hours to get good grades, or were you slacking off?

I think I have to go from my usual work ethic in High School to learning how to study for college. I was a fairly good student in HS, but maybe I need to adjust to the new style of learning in college? I'm just not used to doing this bad I guess.

Quote by NaivexLi
most people have a bad first semester/year

relax.
you're not alone.

Thx man.
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
Quote by gamebreaker
I think I have to go from my usual work ethic in High School to learning how to study for college. I was a fairly good student in HS, but maybe I need to adjust to the new style of learning in college? I'm just not used to doing this bad I guess.

College courses are more competitive. Lectures are usually only a supplement to the reading and homework you have to do to truly understand the material. Tests tend to test your comprehensive knowledge in the subject. Those who know the material inside out will ace tests. Those who kinda know it will do badly. I've been on the low end of the GPA spectrum and on the high end. What I've found is that the amount of time you put in toward learning the stuff directly reflects in your grades. It's easy to get Bs, but if you want those As, it takes a lot more work.

Also, it's hard to balance your fun and work. If you are going for the As, prepare to have a more limited social life. Quarters where I was content with Bs, I had lots of fun. When I was dead-set on getting As, I barely went out and did anything.

Things will get better as you get more acclimatized to the workload and stuff. Don't fret man.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

Also, it's hard to balance your fun and work. If you are going for the As, prepare to have a more limited social life. Quarters where I was content with Bs, I had lots of fun. When I was dead-set on getting As, I barely went out and did anything.

Things will get better as you get more acclimatized to the workload and stuff. Don't fret man.

It's good to hear things like this. Thx for the advice. Also, very nice guitar pun.
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
Hell, I got a 1.6 my first semester but to be fare I hated a couple of the classes I was taking and I did put in a good effort. I definitely expect to do much better this semester beings I'm taking classes more in my interests.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
Hell, I got a 1.6 my first semester but to be fare I hated a couple of the classes I was taking and I did put in a good effort. I definitely expect to do much better this semester beings I'm taking classes more in my interests.

Ouch. I feel the same way. I was taking Calc II, Physics, and an Intro to Mechanical Engineering course, but I felt like it was just a waste of time and I can't see myself doing that. I think if I'm more interested in the stuff, I'll spend more time on it and in turn, do better. GL next semester.
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
I failed 3\5 midterms and had to drop 1 class last semester. Worked hard and wrote all my finals with ease. Maybe trying harder will help lol
Quote by gamebreaker
Ouch. I feel the same way. I was taking Calc II, Physics, and an Intro to Mechanical Engineering course, but I felt like it was just a waste of time and I can't see myself doing that. I think if I'm more interested in the stuff, I'll spend more time on it and in turn, do better. GL next semester.

I'm actually looking forward to those kind of classes, I'm taking Calc II, Chem I & Intro To Engineering next semester. I'm majoring in electrical engineering and look forward to it.

I took a major/career planning class last semester and one of the things the professor/counselor told us was that it's pretty common for students to do bad in classes they are disinterested in.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by gamebreaker

Ah, you're an Engineer. I'm an Electrical and Computer injuneer. Engineering classes are competitive man. You gotta do the reading, do the homeworks, and do a bunch of practice problems. My advice is for you to make friends with a couple of smart yet cool people in your classes. You can study and do homework with them, and collectively understand everything well. Then you can also go party and get drunk with them. You can't go get drunk with squares.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
College courses are more competitive. Lectures are usually only a supplement to the reading and homework you have to do to truly understand the material. Tests tend to test your comprehensive knowledge in the subject. Those who know the material inside out will ace tests. Those who kinda know it will do badly. I've been on the low end of the GPA spectrum and on the high end. What I've found is that the amount of time you put in toward learning the stuff directly reflects in your grades. It's easy to get Bs, but if you want those As, it takes a lot more work.

This man knows what's up.
Quote by justinb904
I'm actually looking forward to those kind of classes, I'm taking Calc II, Chem I & Intro To Engineering next semester. I'm majoring in electrical engineering and look forward to it.

I took a major/career planning class last semester and one of the things the professor/counselor told us was that it's pretty common for students to do bad in classes they are disinterested in.

I'm taking Chem next semester too. Calc II was torture for me. There is so much integration you want to scream.

Quote by darkstar2466
Ah, you're an Engineer. I'm an Electrical and Computer injuneer. Engineering classes are competitive man. You gotta do the reading, do the homeworks, and do a bunch of practice problems. My advice is for you to make friends with a couple of smart yet cool people in your classes. You can study and do homework with them, and collectively understand everything well. Then you can also go party and get drunk with them. You can't go get drunk with squares.

There are virtually no parties at my college, plus I commute to school which makes making friends and getting together to study pretty difficult, plus I'm holding on to a part time job as well. I'm thinking about checking out a career in the acting/movie/script business or maybe astronomy haha. It's still a long ways away.
Quote by darkstar2466
Don't fret man.
i only read the OP.

Generally the first entire year is something people do not consider. With most degrees the employers are only out to see if you have the degree. In cases where they require to see your transcript they will just look at your 3rd and 4th year (if you're in honours) or your 2nd and 3rd (if you're a standard majors).

only problem though, as you mentioned, is if you are unsure if your career choice and you find out you have to switch your major, then it will be a big problem. Colleges will require a minimum average for you to switch your major. So if you do plan on switching eventually then pick it up bro.

but again, first year is generally something no employer, or graduate program, or doctorate program will give a shit about.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Wesseem
i only read the OP.

Generally the first entire year is something people do not consider. With most degrees the employers are only out to see if you have the degree. In cases where they require to see your transcript they will just look at your 3rd and 4th year (if you're in honours) or your 2nd and 3rd (if you're a standard majors).

only problem though, as you mentioned, is if you are unsure if your career choice and you find out you have to switch your major, then it will be a big problem. Colleges will require a minimum average for you to switch your major. So if you do plan on switching eventually then pick it up bro.

but again, first year is generally something no employer, or graduate program, or doctorate program will give a shit about.

Only partially true. If you are applying for a job right out of Undergrad then you can choose to only put your "Major GPA" (classes you took in your major).

As for Grad School, I am in that position, and unfortunately they definitely consider your entire college career. But they will ALSO look at your major GPA (Especially if your major is applicable to the grad school you are applying to).

HOWEVER

One semester does not a college career make. You have MORE than enough time to raise your GPA back up. If you improve your grades in the future, it will make the first semester all but statistically insignificant.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
Quote by darkstar2466

This is why I sometimes don't look forward to college. And I wanna go into medicine/dentistry
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Like said above, you have to remember that lectures are only a supplement to the material. They aren't there to fully teach you the material, a lot of that is up to you on your own time.

If it will help, here's what I do:

Best thing to do is read the chapters BEFORE lecture. If the professor gives you powerpoints/notes/etc before class use them as you're reading the book to highlight the important info that is discussed in those notes. Once you've highlighted the important points in the chapter, hand write everything into your own nice outline of the chapter. Then when the lecture comes, have your outlines in hand as the professor is speaking, adding any tidbits to your outline that they mention about the material.

Can be time consuming, but this is what I do and I'm able to maintain a 4.0 (No bragging, just saying it works).
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Last edited by RageAgnstUrJaw at Dec 30, 2009,
Quote by joshua122593
I have a 4.0 (non-weighted) and a 4.3 (weighted)

Feel better?

I have a 4.0 (non-weighted) and a 4.48 (weighted)
I win
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
Quote by breakingxxcore
I have a 4.0 (non-weighted) and a 4.48 (weighted)
I win

Question? Is this a high school GPA?

Or do they just do things different in other states.

4.0 is the highest possible at universities in Georgia.
Quote by TDMize15

Yeah, it's high school. The weighted gpa is because of AP classes or whatever. 4's the max at pretty much any college.
Quote by gamebreaker

Thx man.

highschool =/= university.

I had a pritty bad first semester too man, don't be too down about it.
Quote by herby190
I've never understood that system; is each point 25%?

F = 0, D = 1, C = 2, B = 3, A = 4

The grades you get are averaged with your credit hours....I believe thats the system.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."
Quote by TDMize15

Ohhh damn, sorry.
Yup, it's high school.
I feel less cool now.
KatehMonster
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Dude, if you were a lesbian asking out another lesbian in a man forum we would be going crazy too.
Quote by zerosystem
just because you're a girl and you get more pussy than me doesn't give you the right to brag.
Quote by RageAgnstUrJaw
F = 0, D = 1, C = 2, B = 3, A = 4

The grades you get are averaged with your credit hours....I believe thats the system.

We have a plus/minus system too, which sucks. So you get a 90-93 in a class and you only get a 3.7

Not a fan.
i cruised to a 2.7 it could have been significantly better i think if i put in the time during finals week, but i just took it easy. i had a great time though

My mind is going. I can feel it.