Hi,

I've been looking at some beginner acoustic guitars and am not sure which one to get. Had a look at the Cort Earth 70E and Ibanez AW15 LG which are within similar price ranges. Also had a look at the Cort MR710F NS which is a bit more expensive. There wasn't much other choice in beginner guitars at the shops I went to and I can't decide between these.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I would go with the Ibanez. They have some of the best sounding acoustics
Machine F**king Head \m/
If possible I'd go to a different shop to try a couple different

each persons hands/fingers and ears are different so really whatever feels/sounds right to you

that being said:

For beginner guitars I like takamines/jasmines, seagulls, some epiphones,and even yamaha

for those two you listed I know little about the newer corts..but the past ones were questionable in my book. Ibanez usually puts out quality instruments for the $, I just don't like their stuff personally (except pedals)

good luck, but as I said try to get to a store to test yourself
The problem is I can't really play anything right now so it's hard for me to tell the difference between them.

Read the Yamaha FG7xxs and Seagull S6 are also decent but they are expensive in my country.
Quote by teletaylor
If possible I'd go to a different shop to try a couple different

each persons hands/fingers and ears are different so really whatever feels/sounds right to you

that being said:

For beginner guitars I like takamines/jasmines, seagulls, some epiphones,and even yamaha

for those two you listed I know little about the newer corts..but the past ones were questionable in my book. Ibanez usually puts out quality instruments for the $, I just don't like their stuff personally (except pedals)

good luck, but as I said try to get to a store to test yourself

The only quality instruments, in my opinion, that Ibanez puts out are electric guitars. Their acoustic guitars have a lot of quality control issues.

Definitely go for the Cort.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Another thing is that the Cort MR710F has a cutaway and built in Fishman tuner.
Are either of these useful to have? I know the tuner can be bought separately but is the cutaway used often with acoustics?
I'm a beginner and have no clue on sound. I got an Ibanez acoustic as a starter guitar. I see it is getting alot of bad reviews here. The sales person told me it was a good brand. It plays just fine, in my opinion. However, I would like to know what is the problem with Ibanez acoustics?
ibanez acoustics have lower build quality than brands like seagull and yamaha, and because they add "features" like exotic laminated woods or low end electronics, they can charge more for laminate top guitars - laminate tops have less nuance, richness and volume. ibanez focuses on looks where some other companies focus on sound.

the biggest issue i have with ibanez is that beginners tend to like them because of their prices and looks, but the sound quality isn't there. that being the case, beginners can't develop their ear as they keep playing. after all, if you play only a mediocre-sounding guitar, mediocre sound is all you'll get used to hearing.

btw, a lot of gc and sam ash sales people will tell you anything is a good brand or a good guitar that they think you'll buy, and if you look like you're new to guitar or are going to go cheap, they'll try and steer you to something quick. i spend a LOT of time trying every guitar i can in every store, and we live by 2 sam ash stores and 6 gc's. i hear the sales guys lie, mislead or misinform new players all the time. they are always telling guys that laminate top guitars are solid top, that mitchell is a great brand, that the rock bottom ovations have great sounding preamps and so on.
Some sales people are only part time and don't really know what they are selling. There is a difference between being able to play the guitar a bit and knowing enough about them to sell people what they are looking for.

For a beginner Yamaha is a good place to start as they are good value for the money and easily available. If you know some one who plays the guitar well take them to the shop with you and they can try out a few guitars in your price range.
Ibanez do make some fine accoustic guitars, but their sound unplugged is not that great, plugged in is another story, the electronics work just fine and the sounds are pretty good depending on the model. I just recently set-up and tested some aw15´s at work and they were all worth the money. Some people dont like Ibanez, thats ok others do and there is a reason behind this. Ibanez makes quality guitars that are affordable and usually better then those in the same price catagory. Choose wisely grasshopper !!!!!!!
Quote by sstony
Ibanez do make some fine accoustic guitars, but their sound unplugged is not that great, plugged in is another story, the electronics work just fine and the sounds are pretty good depending on the model. I just recently set-up and tested some aw15´s at work and they were all worth the money. Some people dont like Ibanez, thats ok others do and there is a reason behind this. Ibanez makes quality guitars that are affordable and usually better then those in the same price catagory. Choose wisely grasshopper !!!!!!!

No, I'll disagree with you strongly there. Especially on the 2nd bolded part there. A Yamaha FG700S kicks the crap out of any Ibanez acoustic I've ever played for $200USD. Most of the Exotic and Artwood guitars are $300ish+.

Ibanez acoustics are known for:
1. Shoddy electronics.
2. VERY thick laminate. (like 1/3 of a centimetre thick)
3. Sloppy construction.

Now they're not so bad that I would stop considering them a guitar and more of a guitar shaped toy(like esteban), but there are many other things I'd rather have than an Ibanez acoustic.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
No, I'll disagree with you strongly there. Especially on the 2nd bolded part there. A Yamaha FG700S kicks the crap out of any Ibanez acoustic I've ever played for $200USD. Most of the Exotic and Artwood guitars are $300ish+.

Ibanez acoustics are known for:
1. Shoddy electronics.
2. VERY thick laminate. (like 1/3 of a centimetre thick)
3. Sloppy construction.

Now they're not so bad that I would stop considering them a guitar and more of a guitar shaped toy(like esteban), but there are many other things I'd rather have than an Ibanez acoustic.

You are wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by sstony
You are wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can tell that to the hundreds of people with Ibanez acoustics who have rolled through this forum wondering why their electronics broke or why their guitar started buzzing.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate

You can tell that to the hundreds of people with Ibanez acoustics who have rolled through this forum wondering why their electronics broke or why their guitar started buzzing.

Dude that can and does happen to all types of guitars including some very high dollar guitars, so get over it already.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You are in the habit of abusing punctuation marks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fully agree with captivate on this one. Ibanez acoustics aren't bad, they're just not good either. I will also note that captivate supported his claim with facts and coherent arguments, whereas the only substantial part of your post is the ridiculous trail of exclamation points. (Tip: One is generally enough.)

When you plug in an acoustic, most of what you hear isn't the guitar; it's the electronics themselves. And frankly, I disagree with you there, too. Even high-end piezo pickups sound tinny and artificial, and bear little resemblance to the guitar's natural acoustic tone. Anyway, when I buy an acoustic guitar, I want it to sound good unplugged. If I wanted to be tethered to an amp my whole life, I'd go back to slabs with pickups.

I take it that your a ****ing teacher or what ?????????? One to many ya think ?
Quote by sstony
Dude that can and does happen to all types of guitars including some very high dollar guitars, so get over it already.

Yeah? No. Those are consistent problems that they have. No other guitar manufacturer has as many problems as they do. Meaning, they have horrible quality control. A few guitar techs who used to hang around here could give you plenty of Ibanez horror stories.
Equipment:

Quote by obeythepenguin
(1) You're, (2) too, and (3) nine too many, in this case. Also, no space before end punctuation. I promised a certain moderator I'd stop with this type of arrogant pedantry up with which he shall not put, but in this case I suspect it's warranted.

Now, to actually answer your question, I'm a guy who turned down a university because their student workers in admissions cant [sic] be bothered to use apostrophes or spell-check.

Continue with the ad hominem if you want, but I'm more interested in why you think Ibanez makes quality acoustics. You really haven't explained your position in much detail.

I work with Ibanez, Prs & Ortega guitars professionally. What I said is for the price of those guitars you get a good deal. For $200 like someone else said you could get better, well thats bs. For $200 you get what you pay for and you know what that is.
I know exactly what the problems are with these guitars and it´s reasonable considering how many are sold on a daily basis as to how many are returned for whatever reason. It happens with everything, cars, cell phones you name it. things break all the time and it´s not just Ibanez accoustics.
Well Fellas it looks as though I may touched on a sensitive subject. I brought the Ibanez because he said it was good. Whether or not the sound on it is not the greatest, I can't tell because as mentioned before, I'm a beginner. I honestly don't care too much about its sound or issues some of you may say because I am just seeking a start. In about 6 months or so, once I get better, I do plan on buying a high quality guitar. Perferably, a electro-acoustic, just unsure of which brand it. I will need to do some research before I purchase one. However, I do appreciate all your opinions on an Ibanez acoustic and its quality, even though, I stirred up a controversy.

BTW, obeythepenguin, I admire your humor and sense of grammar correction.
I haven't really seen anything about Cort, so this thread helped me with that song since I've heard people asking about them from time to time, so thank for the info obeythepenguin.
In my experience, Ibanez acoustic guitars have been sub-par for me. I have played a number of low end acoustic guitars. A lot of the reason for that was to be able to have my own opinion of their tone too. I've played friends guitars. One of which, was an Ibanez, acoustic-electric even. What I can say about the Ibanez guitars, at least all the ones I've played, is they are sub par. Yeah, and that's my OPINION. I can't comment on quality of build, because I haven't had to sit through with one lasting through being played everyday for a year, or holding up to temperature changes and their glue and all that. What I can say is that they sound fake. It sounds like the wood doesn't resonate fully. For that, it sounds rather tinny. I just can't get the response from it that I think is needed in a guitar.
The guy I know uses his Ibanez Electric Acoustic for playing at his church. I don't know how it sounds plugged in, but when I played it, it sounded worse than the $200 guitars I played. It sounds worse than my own personal $130 Yamaha F335. Thats MY opinion of them. Others have also stated consistantly a lot of problems with them. Poor build quality, etc. Captivate knows more about it than I do, but I completely agree with him and he has been a gentlemen about it for a while. He backs up his claims and doesn't just sit there with "Don't get an ibanez, they are crap." and leave it at that.

As far as other guitars, Yamaha and Takamine have nice low end guitars. I'd recommend looking at them. When I got my first acoustic, I wanted something that was low cost, but great bang for my buck. For me, the tradeoff of money, tone, build, and all that was a Yamaha F335. I've been happy with its tone, and I think it beats a lot of guitars in the $300 and less range. Not all, but a lot. As far as the $200 and less, it beat the other stuff in there for me.
I've gotten used to telling the tone of a guitar and so I can say I've been wanting something a little better, probably a Seagull or maybe even another Yamaha. The tone is something you do have to pick up over time. Hopefully, you will get a guitar that sounds best to you.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘