So i have just started writing songs and i was wondering what do think is easier...writing the lyrics first or if you do the instrumental part first...at the moment i have a guitar part completely written out for a song but no words do u think i should've done words first or not?
I usually write instrumentals first but there's no reason you can't to it the other way around.
best thing would be to do both at a time. unless youre going for a simple powerchord rhythm guitar.
yesterday i was thinking on this, but i wont write anyting jajaaj
i think it depends on what style of music youre composing
I've been writing for 2 years, and I've always written instrumentals and lyrics separately.
I think that writing music first and then improvising the melody over the riffs is better.

Though striking a good VOCAL melody is a daunting task for me.

Also; what kind of music do you compose?

EDIT:Fixxd
Last edited by ingames at Dec 30, 2009,
I usually go chord progression, lyrics, melody.

The chord progression and lyrics are interchangable but writing a melody with words in mind (even if you make a few tweeks later) ensures that the lyrics fit to the melody and they don't seem forced in or unnatural.
Usually I just write the instrumental side of things and then as I'm listening to the finished or semi-finished product I sing a vocal melody in my head that would work with the song. Yet, thats where I leave it 95% of the time, With a melody. Not because I can't write lyrics, but because I have no real interest at the moment.
I usually try and do lyrics first, then melody, then chords and instrumental parts. I find if I do the music before the words than the words arent as good, because I have to change them to make them fit... its just not as pure... hard to describe...
im not very good at either though so what do I know!
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
There is no single/correct way. You have to figure out what works for you.

I prefer to write lyrics first. The meter of the lyrics determines the rhythm, and feel of the song. The subject matter determines the sound, that is how heavy/light the music is.
For example, I usually don't write happy go lucky lyrics, and put them to a heavy sounding minor chord progression. If I do, it is because I want that juxtaposition for a reason. Typically, by the time I finish the lyrics, I have a very good idea of what the melody is going to be. Then it is a matter of getting it from my head to the guitar. After that, it goes to the band, and we bash it around some more.

I don't always follow this exact formula. Every song comes together a bit differently. If you've got a song playing in your head, you'll have figure out the best way to get it out of there. Good luck.
It all depends. I write whatever I come to first. Most songs don't even get finished, and since music is just a hobby, its not like I really care either. Often I'll just play around with things to try out a new idea, and then I don't even make it into a song, and months later I'll come back to it and use it. I just sort of go with things as they come.
I usually just write whatever come through naturally first. My music is best when sometime inspires me without me trying to hard. But If I have music first I usually sing nonsense words or bad lyrics that fit to find a good melody, then I replace that with better lyrics.
Quote by SinisterShadows
So i have just started writing songs and i was wondering what do think is easier...writing the lyrics first or if you do the instrumental part first...at the moment i have a guitar part completely written out for a song but no words do u think i should've done words first or not?

hard to say. sometimes ill do the lyrics first if i have a moment of inspiration. but a lot of the time i do the music first. i find its just easier that way because i can fit the words around the music i already made. i find it a little harder to make music around lyrics. athough, it gets easier with time. once you have experience making songs and you know basic progressions and harmony and what not, its not that hard. but i still find it easier to do music first.
Yep, same here. My guitarist usually brings a riff into practice, or a whole song, then I write the bassline over it, and our drummer writes the lyrics on the spot. It works really well as it usually takes us one day to write a full song. We tweak it of course, but the general foundation of the entire song is down.
Quote by SKAtastic7770
I usually just write whatever come through naturally first. My music is best when sometime inspires me without me trying to hard. But If I have music first I usually sing nonsense words or bad lyrics that fit to find a good melody, then I replace that with better lyrics.

+1, though in an ideal situation, I will try to write the melody and lyrics together at the same time - even if only a phrase at a time. The two are so intimately connected that they can't be forced upon each other.

If I have lyrics AND a melody, putting music under it is a cinch.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
To me it really depends what your music is about. Is it about the music or the lyrics? The most common and probably easiest way is to build up the song and then apply lyrics. Myself though, i write the lyrics, then i try to write music that fits the lyrics. It's alot harder, i admit, but i find it a lot more rewarding.. then again, lyrics means the most to me.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!