I bought these strings:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/D-Addario-EXL140-Nickel-Light-Top-Heavy-Bottom-Electric-Guitar-Strings-100016826-i1122076.gc

and put them on my guitar about a month ago, and they were great. The bottom 3 strings had a very rich tone whenever I plucked it or something and the 3 high strings were easy to slide and fast and nice. But recently, they have been getting dirty, so they've been harder to slide, I've tried cleaning htem but they still don't look that good. Also, the tone from the 3 thick strings have become dry if you know what I mean, the sound of plucking an old string. Also another problem I have had is that when I bend the 2 top strings, if I bend them 1 and a half step up, the string goes out of tune, it gets a little lower.

Can you guys recommend strings that will stay clean and easy to slide for a longer time, and that can keep their full and rich tone for a longer period of time? Also strings that will not go out of tune so much when I bend them? At least these strings don't break which is good. Oh and my guitar is a Jackson JS1 Dinky, so no locking nut.

I don't really care about the gauge, it doesn't have to be light top heavy bottom but try to keep it kinda similar around that area, average gauge.
Quote by Delboyuk_01
I was recomended by a friend to use gold strings years ago. It was true what he told me, if you wipe them down after playing they last twice a long as normal strings.

Delboy

So after EVERY time I play, wipe my strings? With what? Just a towel or tissue or something? Or do I need like alcohol or something. I don't have WD40 or any of that lubricating stuff.
I'd say a month is a good life for guitar strings. Especially if you are playing alot. If you are looking for long life, try Ernie Ball Coated Slinkies. My friend swears by them.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
I'd say a month is a good life for guitar strings. Especially if you are playing alot. If you are looking for long life, try Ernie Ball Coated Slinkies. My friend swears by them.

The ones that I currently have are $5, and I looked those strings up that you mentioned and they are $10. Do you think those strings are double or more than double the lifespan of regular $5 strings?
Quote by dsan224
The ones that I currently have are $5, and I looked those strings up that you mentioned and they are $10. Do you think those strings are double or more than double the lifespan of regular $5 strings?

Yes. They are coated with... something. But they really are nice strings.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by dsan224
So after EVERY time I play, wipe my strings? With what? Just a towel or tissue or something? Or do I need like alcohol or something. I don't have WD40 or any of that lubricating stuff.

go to a local guitar store and get string cleaner. You don't have to cleanthem after every time you play but you should be washing your hands before playing. Dint ever spray wd40 on you're guitar.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by biga29

I play daily multiple times throught out the day. With cleaning my strings on a regular basis my strings last 3 months. Coated strings are eh. I've tried some and they didn't realize any differnce in the life span. Not enoughfor me to buy them again specially since tone wise they weren't that great either. Keep the strings clean and you'll be straight.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I say try a few brands and see what is best for you, there are several great brands out there to try.
well ive mainly used balls and daddarios. never had any problems. ikeep my guitar in its case always (mainly cause i dont own a stand) and that helps a LOT. never gotten rust. my roomate keeps his fenders out or on stands and they rust out. its gotta be constant air exposure.

but yeah keep them clean and i keep em covered. do you use finger ease? the spray stuff? its supposed to be lubricant forthe strings and your fingers which also acts as a cleaner and keeps the strings fresh longer. it seems to work. i spray some on about every 3-4 times i play. seems to do something (plus, i think that stuff smells awsome).

plus, i use fretbaord conditioner for my rosewood board and im sure that stuff gets on the strings while im cleaning off my baord. so i have a lot of whiping and cleaning going on with my strings.

however, Elixer strings sound very good nd last probably 2x longer than strings ive used in my experience. they are about 10-12 bucks, but they are super bright, and a good tone, and that nano coat stuff seems to work. the roomate i was talking about put those on and no wear or rust yet unlike ernie balls under the same conditions.
Quote by ikey_
well ive mainly used balls and daddarios. never had any problems. ikeep my guitar in its case always (mainly cause i dont own a stand) and that helps a LOT. never gotten rust. my roomate keeps his fenders out or on stands and they rust out. its gotta be constant air exposure.

but yeah keep them clean and i keep em covered. do you use finger ease? the spray stuff? its supposed to be lubricant forthe strings and your fingers which also acts as a cleaner and keeps the strings fresh longer. it seems to work. i spray some on about every 3-4 times i play. seems to do something (plus, i think that stuff smells awsome).

plus, i use fretbaord conditioner for my rosewood board and im sure that stuff gets on the strings while im cleaning off my baord. so i have a lot of whiping and cleaning going on with my strings.

however, Elixer strings sound very good nd last probably 2x longer than strings ive used in my experience. they are about 10-12 bucks, but they are super bright, and a good tone, and that nano coat stuff seems to work. the roomate i was talking about put those on and no wear or rust yet unlike ernie balls under the same conditions.

Do you think Elixer strings are better than those Ernie Ball coated slinky strings that are also $10?
For coated I would go with Elixir, they seem to be the most proven. Personally I prefer using normal strings and changing them a little more often, but whatever floats your boat, no right or wrong.
dude one time elixir lasted me six months and they were better on their last day than my new D'addario's on their first.
Ggetting a month out of any strings is pretty good if you play three times a day. Anyway, try GHS Boomers. They’re known to last a long time, especially if you play medium or heavy gauge. Stay away from .09s if you don’t like the lighter strings getting dirty/corroding fast.
Quote by dsan224
Do you think Elixer strings are better than those Ernie Ball coated slinky strings that are also $10?

Yeah I used to restring guitars for my old school and would use Elixir acoustic strings (bulk buy ftw!) and they would last 3-4 times longer then the normal non coated strings. I really didn't find the need to bother looking at other coated strings as these did the job fine considering each guitar would be handled by kids with god knows what on their hand and played and abused constantly.

As for electrics I've also used Elixirs specifically the Nanoweb type as I've found the Polyweb to lose the coating far too easily.
elixirs!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Now I have trouble deciding between Ernie Ball Coated Slinkys and Elixirs...
Elixers.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame