My Bugera 1990 Classic amp head finally arrived today. I came home for lunch, unpacked it and let it sit for 5 hours to acclimate to the temperature in my house so I didn't blow the tubes.

I was playing it for literally 20 minutes with the volume at 1 (literally 1) and I heard a hiss and all sound was gone. I quickly turned it on Standby and checked the tubes. They were all lit, none were too bright.

I turned flipped it back off standby and the sound returned as normal. I played it for about 2 more minutes and turned it all off.

Should I be worried about this? Should I have it looked at?

I know the problems that Bugera amps have, but I thought it was corrected at this point.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Sounds like a heat related issue to me. Perhaps a heatsink isn't attached properly somewhere?

If you're not comfortable poking around yourself (warning: Poking around inside electrical devices can result in death) then just bring it back.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Could I take it to a local shop? I ordered it online and would have to send it back, wait, and wait some more.

If I have to send it back, I will, but how will I know if the replacement will not do teh same thing?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
As its new only real solution is to send it back. If you open it up to check inside its gonna void the warranty, even your local shop if they arent authorized service center will void it. As it is the seller will fix it or exchange it, no warranty then you get to pay to fix it. They may or may not have fixed some issues with bugeras the stock tubes are still junk. Most recommend to swap em out for decent tubes before even turning it on the first time.

Up to you buy some tubes and wait, pop em in and see if it works or send it back and wait for bugera to fix it.
Man, everyone is rushing for Bugera and it's Chinese made components and Chinese assembly. Anyways, I would recommend calling up Bugera's customer service and send it back as it has a one year warranty if you register your amp with them (on site or however you want to do it) and they are very friendly and will replace it for you if it's a factory fault. Remember now, what you pay for is the quality (as in materials and components).
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster: American Standard
Ibanez: RG370DX
Amps:
Engl Powerball 100w Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab
Quote by Rio38
If I have to send it back, I will, but how will I know if the replacement will not do teh same thing?
You don't, and you can't. But the chances of having the same thing twice are highly unlikely.

Anyways, if you want to work out whether it's a heat-related issue I've got an idea. Point a fan at the back of the amp and start playing. If you can continue to play without issue then there's a heat problem somewhere. Knowing this should help some more Bugera savvy members get you a solution.

Quote by Dr Hullabaloo
Man, everyone is rushing for Bugera and it's Chinese made components and Chinese assembly.
[...]
Amps:
Fender Frontman 25R
Marshall MG30 Combo
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Dec 30, 2009,
Go to my thread on how I got a new Engl bro
Guitars:
Amps:
Engl Powerball 100w Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab
But yeah, just send it in, don't go being a hero trying to save your own amp if you've never fixed internal problems
Guitars:
Amps:
Engl Powerball 100w Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab
Quote by Dr Hullabaloo
Go to my thread on how I got a new Engl bro
Update your sig, bra.
Quote by Marty Friedman
I'm back. Rio38 YGPM.
Bugera 333XL
Ampeg VH140c
I honestly don't know how anyone can really comment on Bugera's reliability "now" seeing that their first run of amps are barely even a year old.
Quote by al112987
I honestly don't know how anyone can really comment on Bugera's reliability "now" seeing that their first run of amps are barely even a year old.
I don't really know how you think it would take ages for a company to change a few troublesome components.

Now vs. then

It's simple.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by al112987

It wouldn't be to hard. This is the second thread started TODAY alone on UG, that someone is having trouble with a new amp in the first day.
Bugera 333XL
Ampeg VH140c
Last edited by DW# at Dec 31, 2009,
I got an RMA # from Guitar Center, but am still rethinking sending it back. I am going to have a nice long practice session with it on Sunday and see if it happens again. I may also get a new set of tubes for it and see what that does.

They are backordered until the end of January at least and I would hate to go that long without the head. I want to also see how much a local shop would charge to give it a once-over.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Update. I got back from Delaware yesterday and have a chance to put it through its paces today. After about 45 minutes of playing at relatively low volumes, the sound cut out on me again and the Channel light went dark. It is normally green when the clean channel is selected and red when the lead channel is selected. The power button stays lit though.

I did get an RMA number from Guitar Center so I may just send it back for a new one. They are backordered until the beginning of February though. Long wait.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky

I'd send it back. And buy something else. If you ordered from a big online music store, they might cover shipping. Musicians Friend has covered shipping back to them on stuff that has crapped out on me in the past.
Rio That is exactly the way unit #2 acted on me. Take eb333's advice.
Bugera 333XL
Ampeg VH140c
I dunno much about the 1990, but you should check and see if you have that clip.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
I'd shoot an email to Bugera talking about how excited you were to get it, and how it was your dream amp... Etc. etc. Then I would start in on how they have disappointed you greatly, and how you now believe what you earlier thought was just hype about their bunk reliability. Then close it out by saying you have really been jaded by this experience and will not be considering them in your next purchase of an amplifier, and you would like a full refund.

That will get them throwing all kinds of offers at you, and if they don't satisfy you then follow through and get a new amp from a different company with your refund.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I did exactly as you described, except I called them on the phone twice and they did not throw any offers to me. In fact Behringer told me both times that It is completely up to the store to make any and all refunds, and since my initial purhase was past 30 days the store would not refund the money.
Bugera 333XL
Ampeg VH140c
Way to pass the buck on problems. Sounds like it wouldnt be a good idea to carry their amps if bugeras initial build quality problems become the shop who sells it problem. And bugera probably figures if they had to bend over backwards for every customer who had an amp that crapped out that would be alot of customers. Store credit, refund whatever you gotta do. Make sure you let bugera know you will never buy any of their products again and will certainly tell everybody you can about your experience.