I originally posted this in the electric guitar forum, but only received a couple of responses. I hope nobody minds if i throw it over here...Thanks

I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 6 months now. I'm a decent player. I have a good grasp on major/minor scales and pentatonic scales. I've been itching to buy an electric guitar, but I'm not sure if there is a "right time" for me to buy it. I love playing my acoustic. I try to get in about 2 hours per night. There are things I would like to try, however, that I can't really do on my acoustic. So I pose a couple of questions:

1. Should I wait until I get a lot better on my acoustic before I take the leap to an electric? Or can I supplement my acoustic playing with a little electric mixed in. I'm afraid once I dive into the realm of electric guitar I'll like it so much I won't pick up my acoustic anymore.

2. (Maybe an odd question)...I live in an apartment. It's a nice, large 3 bedroom apartment, but an apartment none-the-less. I realize that I don't have to "turn it up to eleven" to enjoy the electric guitar, but will it take away from the overall enjoyment of the electric to constantly be wary of pissing off my neighbors? Can you play electric guitar through a good amp and wear nice headphones (occasionally) and still get a good, enjoyable sound (effects, etc...).

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can give me.
yes, get an electric guitar
and also yes headphone will owrk just fine and not ruin your quality
Quote by echo6280
1. Should I wait until I get a lot better on my acoustic before I take the leap to an electric? Or can I supplement my acoustic playing with a little electric mixed in. I'm afraid once I dive into the realm of electric guitar I'll like it so much I won't pick up my acoustic anymore.

Nah, it's not THAT big a leap...

Quote by echo6280
2.will it take away from the overall enjoyment of the electric to constantly be wary of pissing off my neighbors? Can you play electric guitar through a good amp and wear nice headphones (occasionally) and still get a good, enjoyable sound (effects, etc...).

Just use your amp with a good pair of headphones... I metal out to Dream Theater at home with my headphones, I use these:

Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd

Just use your amp with a good pair of headphones... I metal out to Dream Theater at home with my headphones, I use these:

Dude, I think you're my twin. I use those same headphones and I'm a huge DT fan.

Anyway, in response to TS:
1. Get an electric. It's always good to mix the 2. And yes for the first little while, you will probably be playing your electric a lot more than your acoustic, but after a while, you will go back to your acoustic.

2. Headphones work great, but you could also just get a tiny 15 watt amp or something small like that, or you could just play without any amp or headphones at all every once in a while. Just do some warm up exercises or something like that while your watching TV or something.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I was planning on buying a 100 watt amp. From what I've read, the amp is more important than the guitar. If I buy a 15 or 30 watt amp what will I be losing other than volume (obviously). Will I be losing any sound quality, effects, etc....?
Quote by echo6280
I was planning on buying a 100 watt amp. From what I've read, the amp is more important than the guitar. If I buy a 15 or 30 watt amp what will I be losing other than volume (obviously). Will I be losing any sound quality, effects, etc....?

You probably won't have many (if any) effects on a small amp, and the quality is usually fairly poor (what do you expect when it's a sophisticated piece of equipment running on 1/4 the power of a light bulb?). But then again you might be able to find a good amp with everything. My friend has a 25 watt amp with a metronome, flanger, reverb, and delay and 10 jam tracks that you can change to any key. But if you can't it's no big deal. I'm using a blues amp with 0 distortion and very slight reverb on it, and I play metal. I just saved up for a while until I could afford a Line 6 Floor Pod Effects Pedal.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
1. You should get the electric, don't worry about not playing your acoustic, if you don't then it's just because you're enjoying yourself more with the electric.
2. Headphones will be fine, even an amp with the volume low is fine. Don't worry about that.

About your amp question, do more research into amps. Really do, the wattage of an amp determines nothing other than (roughly) volume and price. The reason for the "roughly" is that some 30 watt amps are louder than other 30 watt amps, the only time wattage is a sure indication of volume is when you're looking at amps from the same series e.g. a 30 watt roland cube is louder than a 15 watt roland cube. Also GENERALLY a tube amp will be as loud as a solid state amp of double the wattage.
What you want to look at with amps is tone, you'll have to try out a few to see what you want. Do you want effects like reverb or delay? Could you get them as pedals or do you want them to be part of the amp? Do you want a solid state or a tube amp? What style are you planning on playing? How much are you prepared to pay?
There are a plethora of questions to ask yourself before getting an amp and wattage is no indication of sound, some 15watt amps sound better than 100watt amps.

Edit: the guy above me said that at 15 watts you wouldn't get many effects, take a look at the Peavey Vypyr 15, that thing's got a hell of a lot of effects. Peavey Vypyr 15 is a very good starter amp and doesn't sound at all bad.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Last edited by Aleksi at Dec 30, 2009,