I've wanted to play piano for a while so i've decided to use my Christmas money to buy a cheap keyboard, but the problem is i know nothing about them. I looked at MF and saw these 2 on sale, i'm looking for a cheap price. Would it be worth it to get the one that's a bit more expensive or will the cheap one sound the same?

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=702169V

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PSRE223-61-KEY-ENTRY-LEVEL-PORTABLE-KEYBOARD?sku=580590

I have a feeling this might be a waste of time asking here :s lol, but i guess it's worth a shot.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Google didn't have much to say about them either. I may try and find a keyboard forum, if one even exists.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
In that price range, they're probably gonna sound about the same.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I don't personally like Yamahas... they sound like empty metal cans to me...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Do you have any suggestions for alternatives? I'm willing to look around a bit, i just thought that since it was on sale it may have been a better keyboard at a lower price, but i guess not.
they'll both sound equally shitty.

but they're fine if you're not really serious about piano.
This may sound stupid but I personally prefer the nanokeys to most Yamahas...

EDIT: After looking a bit, they have quite a few M-Audios... go for one of those... I like them...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Dec 30, 2009,
Yeah i'm not too serious, i'd just like to pick up something to learn how to play. I know how to read music already so i figured i'd be able to pick up on it fairly quickly.
depending on what you want to do (synth stuff?) with it you might want to look into midi controllers too. i ended up just buying one instead of an actual keyboard when i started. you can find some in that price range thatd probably be just as good as either of those.
Well I'd like to have something that could mimic a piano, because my friend has an actual piano that I always mess around on when we play guitar together. My main reason for that is I'd like to memorize imagine. A synth would be nice too though because if I was in a band it would be another thing I could contribute. TBH I don't really know what I want. Anything that is relatively good in the $140 range.
If you are serious about wanting to learn the instrument, you should spend at least $500 to get a decent keyboard, new. You can find good ones for around $100-$150 used. I suggest something with at least 32-note polyphony (how many notes can be played at one time) and 88 weighted keys.
I'll look into something used then. Thanks, I'll look for those specs, i just didn't know what to look for since it's relatively new to me.
You really should find one with weighted keys.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork