Hello UG, I come seeking your wisdom in the purchase of a new amp. My last amp was an MG, and I wish to not make another mistake
First off, I sincerely apologize if this thread is in the wrong place or something.
My price range for this amp is 1500-2000 USD. I don't plan on gigging with it necessarily, so stupid amounts of volume is not necessary. I would ideally like a combo, as space in my room is rather scarce, but I could fit a half-stack if it is just clearly better.
I have an Epi LP custom and an Ibanez XPT700 and a B.C. Rich thing probably not worth mentioning. I'm going for an overall hard rock --> heavy metal tone. It would be nice to get some Death/black metal tones, but they really won't be my primary focus.
Thank you in advance for your assistance, if you require any more information just let me know.
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
peavey 6505?

EDIT: nevermind. didnt see the part where you said you werent gigging. i wouldnt spend that much on an amp if you werent gonna do anything except bedroom practice
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Dec 30, 2009,
for that price you may want to look into some high quality amps. Mesa, Marshall (vintage tube), Bogner (used), etc.

I'd recommend something like a mesa 5:25 so that you can play kinda quiet in your room, but then be able to get alot of volume if you ever do gig.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Check out Randall amplifiers. They have decent prices and decent combos. I have the Randall RG75 and I can do everything with that amp
^^not bad advice, but I'd say a Mesa Rectoverb instead. That has alot more gain than the 5:25, sooo....
Or if you're willing, get a used Bogner Uberschall. That thing has all the gain you'll ever need
thanks
I'll have to swing by GC tomorrow and play some stuff.
But yea, I'm not necessarily not gigging, I just want to get an amp that I will never have to replace for tonal reasons. atm I am not gigging, but who knows lol
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
At that price, you can get the Mark V combo, one of the most versatile combos in existence.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Egnater Tourmaster
Randall RM Series
Used Diezel VH4
EVH 5150 III
VHT/Fryette Sig:X
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
Blackstar Series One
Mesa Mark V
Engl Savage/Invader/Powerball
Soldano

Just off the top of my head. These would all be good to try out. Used Bogner is an option too, but I don't pretend to know much about Bogners, as I've never even played one.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I would stay away from the 5:25 for what you want. Yes you can switch it down to 5W - which is still hella loud for bedroom use - but it won't get you into the territory you want.

It's get nice cleans but isn't going to get you near metal - you'd need to add a pedal for that.

Why not check out Rivera or Dr Z amps. There's also Diezel (used) to check out too.

EDIT: Try searching for a Laney AOR used if you can (discontinuedamp but like a suped-up JCM800)

Thing is you're going to be hard pushed to find amps for metal that will sound decent at low wattages
Last edited by UnicronAlliance at Dec 30, 2009,
You could always get an attenuator if you decided you really like a high wattage amp.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ibz_bucket
Egnater Tourmaster
Randall RM Series
Used Diezel VH4
EVH 5150 III
VHT/Fryette Sig:X
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
Blackstar Series One
Mesa Mark V
Engl Savage/Invader/Powerball
Soldano

Just off the top of my head. These would all be good to try out. Used Bogner is an option too, but I don't pretend to know much about Bogners, as I've never even played one.

I see, go play something uber pricey... lol.

Sweet gear but my advice would be go tool around in the stores and try everything you can get your hands on. Then look for the best price.

If i was dropping big bucks i will ask to try some pedals on it too. like a eq,gate,od etc.

Take your time too. Gas can cloud your mind.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A