So, I'm in the process of ordering some new pickups [Nordstrand Big Singles, SUPER EXCITED!! ] but i'm not really sure what my string spacing is. I have a Spector Q5, and i emailed them, and they replied with ".66. Is that a common string spacing? The pickups have "19mm spacing at the bridge".
I really have no idea what this is, in all reality, could someone clarify what they're talking about? (the string spacing from the bridge)
Thanks
It should be the amount of space between the bridge pickup and the strings. I don't know much about it but I think That you need at least 19mm of spacing for your bridge so they should fit if I'm right.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
http://www.metric-conversions.org/conversion-charts/length/millimeters-to-inches-conversion-chart.pdf

I think the pickups spacing is too wide

I dont know if it'll work anyway but, now you know whats up.

Also, pickup height is not string spacing .
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Dec 30, 2009,
Hm, well luckily, Nordstrand will change that for me with no cost. woot. I wasn't really sure What the emails were talking about, I'm not much of a construction or pickup person. I just asked a couple of forums about pickups and chose which one is the closest to the tone i wanted. haha
Well, thats good to hear. Wasnt too happy posting that you might run into some trouble with the new pups.

Jealous of the bass
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Haha thanks, It was a handy down, a very awesome one. haha.
and with these new pups, it will be awesome! I'm very excited. haha
I highly suggest you e-mail Spector to see if these pickups will specifically it as well as Nordstrand the same question. There's obviously some confusion, so it's best to clear it up before you order. Since your bass isn't a Fender there's always a higher risk in doing a retrofit without first getting all the facts because, let's face it, a lot of stuff made for putting into a bass is made for a stock Fender design because it is the most prolific.

Just to clear up; string spacing is how far apart the strings are. So the Nordstrands accommodate a bass with 19mm string spacing at the bridge and your bass has .66" string spacing... somewhere.
Hm, well, I doubled checked, and apparently it really 17mm (or ".66) at the bridge.
But, I want to check just one more time, exactly how do i measure this myself?
How do I determine the string spacing of my bass bridge ?

Here is what you need to do. Measure from the center of your highest string to the center of your lowest string. Lets say it is 3.75 inches on a 6 string. You will need to divide this number by the number of spaces between each string. In this case there are 5 spaces. So if the string spread is 3.75, we divide that by 5 and we end up with a string to string spacing of .750.

Found this on the Hipshot site for you. It's the same for all bridges. Feel free to do it with inches and millimeters.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Dec 31, 2009,
Hipshot is a brand that makes bridges and some other stuff. Good quality stuff too.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Hm, help again, and this time I'm a bit too lazy to explain, so here's the email.

The narrow string spacing will require custom pickups, which are a bit of an upcharge. Its $50/set for anything other than 18 or 19mm.

So...when we are looking at doing custom ones, where there is the upcharge, we want to nail the spacing for the poles. Let me know that total spacing, and I will setup the special order for the purchasing.

How do I do calculate the total spacing for the poles?
Exactly what are poles?

Thanks again.

EDIT

There are several standards on pickup sizes and string spacing between the poles. Spacing is measured either as a distance between 1st to 6th polepieces' centers (this is also called "E-to-E" spacing), or as a distance between adjacent polepieces' centers.

This is what Wikipedia said, could anyone extend on this?
Last edited by brentonkim at Jan 1, 2010,
Email nordstrand and say i have chosen your pickups blah blah but am unsure how to work out if i need a custom set made(as in string spacing). Tell them exactly what bass you have and what spector told you about the string spacing as in .66". Ask them for advice etc etc.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I have, and we're discussing that now. The email is from them above. I'm trying to figure out how to measure these things, so I can get my order finshed.
etc. etc. etc.

Because generally, a forum can help with things you blah blah blah don't know.