I had some old tuners laying around and decided I was going to build a 6 string slide guitar. I got a broken acoustic today and salvaged 2 more tuners from it, so I figured I would make a more traditional 8 string lap steel instead. The problem is finding a pickup for it. I'm sure I could find an expensive 8 string pickup, but that doesn't sound like fun. I've read some people use a j-style bass pickup but I would think that would sound too muddy. What can I do with some spare single coils and a humbucker I have laying around? I could do some slanted arangement of single coils but then the outside strings would be only picked up by 1 pickup instead of 2.

Or does anyone know of any cheap 8 string pickups. Either or, but I would like to use what I have laying around if anyone can think of a optimal solution with 4 single coils and a humbucker.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Well check rondomusic.com in the parts/accessories section (I think) they have the 8 string pups for $80

Otherwise none of those pickups happen to be blades instead of single polepieces do they?

Anyway. You could overlap them so one SC covers the top 4 strings, the other covers the bottom 4, and the both cover the middle 2.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
No, they're not blade style pickups. Hmmm 80bucks is more that I want to spend. I was hoping for a cheap Guitar Fetish style 8 string pickup. lol. I guess I can either go the overlap way or make it 6 string instead.

EDIT. This looks like it might work http://store.guitarfetish.com/protudfidagu.html as its a longer than normal pickup.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Last edited by GeToChKn at Dec 30, 2009,
^ i posted that, just not a link....$80 is not what he's looking for

and as for the lipstick, i can kinda see that for a 7 string, but not 8 dude...
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Ok I thought those were the danelectro style tube pickupswhere are oversized at like 3.5". I'm not sure how big the magnet is inside of it though. I'm probably just going to go with whatever pickups I have here and angle them and see how it turns out or go six string. Anyways, I'll do a build thread when I do it over the next week or so. Its sort of a do it with whatever tuners, pickups, wood and pots and stuff I have laying around anyways.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Well here are the two variations I came up with.

The top one, each set of 4 strings is covered by a single pickup, ala bass split p style. The 2nd has some overlap. I'm just wondering if the outside strings are going to suffer that much with only 1 pickup on them and he other 6 have two pickups. One of the pickups I have is a middle RW pickup so I plan on using that with the bridge pickup from the set so it should be humcancelling.

I guess it could be interesting either way If I wired each pickup separately to its own knob or wiring a out of phase switch or a series/parallel switch. Going with the first arrangement, if I turned off the one side, it would give me just the lows or just the high side of the board.

any idea of which one would sound better?
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
I like the idea on the picture, it would be good for getting a blended sound as well but you'd need atleast a 5 way selector switch.

HELLO!

No experience my self, but I'm not sure the massive slanting pickups would be a good idea, the bass responce of the pickup might vary wildly with that amount of slanting.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by JamesLPs
I like the idea on the picture, it would be good for getting a blended sound as well but you'd need atleast a 5 way selector switch.

I only have 3 single coils, so I can go with one or the other setup. Switching and wiring will be as crazy as it can be when its done, its just figured out the pickup configuration before I start planning and cutting and routing pickup pockets and if the fact than 8 string isn't possible with what I have, then I can go back to my 6 string idea.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
ummm why dont you try having 2 unused polepieces on each pickup? like they go out to the sides and don't really pick up any signal? that way you have one polepiece on each string.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.