In your opinion, does the gauge of the string help with alternate/tremolo picking and tapping? Like, laughter gauge strings are easier to perform these techniques on? Or vice versa? I just started using 10's, and I'm wondering if I should go back to 9's. Course, it may be I'm just frusterated with not being able to tap fastly
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
For me, my comfort zone is from 8 to 10. Anything lower or higher and my ability goes out the window. Just find what works for you.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Lighter strings, for me, make legato easier, but I love heavy strings (12's usually) for lot's of picking. I tend to use a medium set, like 10-52 or 11-52 or something.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I use 10s and I'd say it's easier to tremolo pick because of the tension, although I have found that 9s don't make that much of a difference... Develop the skills around your string choice.
RECTUM.

Quote by papershredder
Believe it or not, DT can be overlistened to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-DA4iggDD8

Quote by SmarterChild

Quote by tancanada
I know a girl who regularly orgasms in her sleep.

Ah, Rohypnol.
Quote by guitarlord28
In your opinion, does the gauge of the string help with alternate/tremolo picking and tapping? Like, laughter gauge strings are easier to perform these techniques on? Or vice versa? I just started using 10's, and I'm wondering if I should go back to 9's. Course, it may be I'm just frusterated with not being able to tap fastly

Yngwie Malmsteen plays 8s (in Eb) and Alex Skolnick plays 13s (in standard)... they both shred like beasts.

As with most things, it's all down to preference and what you've practiced; experiment a lot and see what you actually like to use.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
heavier strings are better for me when im picking really fast. with tapping and string gauges i think u would juts have to work on it with one set of strings you will eventually get really comforatable with any gauge of string which is how i learned to tap.
Try practicing on a heavy stringed acoustic. Your problem isn't the gauge, it's probably finger strength and coordination.

I don't think string gauge has much to do with your tapping or alternate picking. It is a little easier to do legato on thin strings but I like the thick sound thick strings give.
There isn't much difference between 9's and 10's but speed picking should be easier on thicker strings
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I have 7's on mine and I can tremolo pick without an issue. I personally find thicker strings to be harder to pick on, but I have 9's on my acoustic even so I never really practiced for more than a few hours on a thicker string. Sliding, bending and hammering/powering seems easier on lighter strings too.
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
I use 9s and is the perfect balance for shred (easy tapping and bending) and playing heavy rhythm. As for tremolo picking, if i feel that i need more tension to pick, just pick closer to the bridge.

Anyway, is all about preferences. I suggest you to spend some time (a month) with the 10s and see if you get used to it, if you don't, just get back to 9s.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I personally use 10's, but the other guitarist in our band uses 14's. it is all down to the preference of the guitarist. as with guitars, where the right guitar neck should feel comfortable, the strings should just fit.
Right now I have baritone strings on my ibanez tuned to drop A# the lowest string is a 68, and the highest is a 12 i think, but i find my ability to play anything is not hampered at all by the string size, whether I'm on my jagmaster with 9s or my douglas with 11s, or the HUGE baritone strings. just practice more.
I like my 11s. I find that I do better picking and bending.

Personally, I'd like if someone would make heavy top skinny/bottom strings. They could be called "Busty"s.
I guess it depends on what type of music you're playing. With metal and such, I'd go with a heavy gauge, anything from a 10 and up. Rock and Roll (Classic stuff), I'd stick with a nine, maybe a ten. Same with country. Punk... I'd go with an 11. Blues, you're better off with a nine. It's all relative.
I normally slap on 13s or 12s on my acoustic to practice with.

Once you get used to playing on the heavy gauge strings your fingers fly and molest the lighter gauge strings.

If you can play it on heavy gauge strings you can play it on lighter gauge strings, but you can't go vice versa.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
I've been using 9s. Feels killer smooth to me. I haven't really used anything higher or lower in a while, for the reason of just habit of buying 9s. Though this seems more like a personal preference thing.