I'm looking to get a new fuzz pedal. I've got a Russian Big Muff Pi, but I've never really been happy with it. Two pedals that really stick out in my mind for a replacement are the VZex Fuzz Factory and the Electro-Harmonix Graphic Fuzz. I'm looking for something with a heavy, crunchy sound and a full tone (i.e., not too thin sounding). I'd like it to be a little hot too, and I want something really sensitive for hammer ons and pull offs. My influences are Hendrix,* the Zep,* and most 90s grunge and post-grunge bands.

Anyone have any experience with these? Also, other recommendations would be appreciated.

*I don't think I'd necessarily be into the Tonebender or Fuzz Face because Jimi and Jimmy never got as heavy of a distortion as I'm looking for. I've never played either pedal myself though, and I haven't seen them in any music stores.
Last edited by coquet at Dec 30, 2009,
I can tell u this: the fuzz factory is incredible. Great sound, great sustain, the knobs have good response. The graphic fuzz I believe allows for more tones, but never as great as the zvex and i'm a fan of EHX
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
graphic fuzz is better. more value for money aswell as better tone for your ****ing worthless shite shit **** wanker money
Erm - what? ^ Reported that anyway.

The Fuzz Factory is a nice pedal, although overpriced by some. You could try the Vexter series FF which is about £120 or so (the normal FF is £180 I think) assuming someone can confirm that they're the same internals and just a different box.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Erm - what? ^ Reported that anyway.

The Fuzz Factory is a nice pedal, although overpriced by some. You could try the Vexter series FF which is about £120 or so (the normal FF is £180 I think) assuming someone can confirm that they're the same internals and just a different box.

Exact same thing in a not hand painted enclosure, I really like mine.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Fuzz Factory is a tad difficult to get to sound very massive/full. I find them too thin when not gated, and then when gated it's just pointlessly synthy. It's a cool pedal, and if you have the cash you should definitely have on in your rig just for shits and giggles, but it takes a whole lot of fiddling and learning how the controls all interact until you can really use it.
Does anyone have experience with the Barber Trifecta or Way Huge Swollen Pickle? I'm trying to find music stores near me that carry them.

I tried the ZVex Fuzz Factory, but I didn't really like the sound I was getting out of it. That may be due to the fact that it's not an intuitive pedal, and it's difficult to figure out, but I was using the example settings on the ZVex website and still didn't really like it.
Quote by ze monsta
Fuzz Factory is a tad difficult to get to sound very massive/full. I find them too thin when not gated, and then when gated it's just pointlessly synthy. It's a cool pedal, and if you have the cash you should definitely have on in your rig just for shits and giggles, but it takes a whole lot of fiddling and learning how the controls all interact until you can really use it.

Yup.

Also, you'll have to redial it all the time becaue you'd probably end up knocking the knobs, causing you to completely use your sound (Factory's harder to tweak than most other pedals).

Graphic Fuzz is more of an OD tone than a fuzz.

You should probably look for a Univox Superfuzz clone or a good Big Muff, which would be brilliant for '90s grunge stuff.

I've got an old Op-amp Big Muff in classifieds by the way. >_>
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
You should probably look for a Univox Superfuzz clone or a good Big Muff, which would be brilliant for '90s grunge stuff.

I've already got a Big Muff, but I'm not really happy with it (as I said in the original post). Do you know anything about the Way Huge Swollen Pickle or the Barber Trifecta? I've only heard them on youtube, but they sound pretty sweet.
Last edited by coquet at Jan 24, 2010,
Quote by ze monsta
> . <
The current Russian BMs aren't as gainy as other Big Muffs, and are darker. Look through some of the older, out of production muffs.

Musket Fuzz maybe?

Yeah, the older ones are much better than the poopy production models.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild