Page 1 of 3
whats the best and amp and whats a good amount of watts for practicing in your bedroom, and on occasions crank it a little loud?
Last edited by Kid Lucas at Dec 30, 2009,
What do you play? What's you're budget? How loud is 'a little loud'.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by metallica 666
line 6 spider 30 watt?

Oh god no.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

you dont need a tube amp for your bedroom because you need to crank it to get a decent sound
Quote by metallica 666
you dont need a tube amp for your bedroom because you need to crank it to get a decent sound

Yet another useless post in this thread.

If you have no clue what you're talking about DON'T POST!
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by MetalGuitarest
i'd say 40-60 tube watts

Don't you think 40 watts of tube is WAY TOO LOUD for bedroom use?
I'd say something with low wattage like some Blackstars, Blackhearts, or Oranges I've seen, or even a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25.
Quote by MetalGuitarest

some marshall.. not the mg

I think you're talking about the new Marshall Class 5 5 watt amp.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Last edited by mcjosh at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by mcjosh

So is 5 watts.

40 watts is less than twice as loud as 5 watts. TS, you still haven't responded to my first questions.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by drewfromutah
Tiny Terror!

That's what I meant to say ( in my other post)
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by drewfromutah
Tiny Terror!

Nice job recommending an amp when he hasn't even told us what he plays.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I practise in my bedroom with a 120W 6505+ just fine the guitar gods created volume knobs for a reason, and if you are playing high gain styles metalllica 666 generally tube saturation is not desirable
The "best" amp is subjective, you'll have to try some at a guitar store and see for yourself.

A good wattage for practicing in the bedroom and occasionally cranking it up? Anything from 30 to 60 watts should be fine. Keep in mind that what wattage you should use depends largely on if you're getting a solid state or tube amp. Tube amps sound louder for equivalent wattages than their counterparts.

One more thing to remember: If you do decide to get a tube amp, it's not going to sound its best unless its cranked up. Of course, you could get an attenuator, but that's not really very practical.

All things considered, I'd recommend a solid state amp that has ~50 watts. Mainly though, go try a bunch of amps and find out what you like. I practiced for the longest time with a monster 120 watt amp in my bedroom and loved it (just had to be careful not to bump into the volume.. ouch).
Maybe your bedroom is really big

I'd think you'd be fine with something like a Vox AC4, which has an attenuator down to 1 watt and again to 1/4 watt. Dollar for dollar, that's a helluva little amp.

Or anything with a headphone jack.

There is also no shortage of boutique amps at 5 watts or less.
Quote by mcjosh
I'd say something with low wattage like some Blackstars, Blackhearts, or Oranges I've seen, or even a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25.

i agree. anything above 15 watts is too much for bedroom play. i dont know what to recommend due to a lack of information from the TS.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by mmolteratx
Yet another useless post in this thread.

If you have no clue what you're talking about DON'T POST!

His name is metallica 666. What the fuck were you expecting? Stephen Hawking?
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
His name is metallica 666. What the fuck were you expecting? Stephen Hawking?

But this thread is a perfect example of why other forums don't take us serious.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

An old Fender Champ might be the ticket, 5W of class A valvey goodness. The older the better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a Cube 30, but I have found myself using a Line 6 Pocket Pod connected to a pair of Yamaha Monitors (basically a good computer speakers. not HiFi) the best way to get a "good" tone at silent levels. With silent, I mean a level where others in the same room can still have a normal conversation.
i have a Marshall 8280 for practicing in my room, turned up about half way, but with the input gain right down so i can use my pedals, or swap channels for the amps OD. Soon i will sell this to raise money for a Fender Champ
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Any solid state amp in the 15watt to 20watt range. Examples would be Roland Cube-20X which has a power squeezer feature to control volume and the new Marshall MG15FX which has a separate master volume control. I can only recommend what worked for me since I own both of these. Keeping an open mind about it, everyone else here talks up Peavy Vypyr's like the second coming so look them up or even Line6 offerings within that solid state wattage range. Any of these will be fine for bedroom practicing as reasonable volume without loosing a full sound. My suggestion is to watch manufacurer demo videos or YouTube clips and even go to a store and hear each of them in person. That's about as fair as you can get speaking about this to help you.

Bear in mind that even a 5 watt tube amp will probably be at least as loud or more than a 15 or 20 watt solid state amp in case you are thinking of that too. I'm not sure of the actual percieved volume for the same wattage comparing tube and solid state outputs but I know tube amps are way louder per watt.

Good luck!
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Dec 31, 2009,
I have a 50 watt tube head which is easily quiet enough for bedroom use.

GET A ROLAND CUBE!!! They're some of the only small solid state amps that actually sound good.

And get a 15 watt. 30 watt is a bit of a nowhere land. Its not quite loud enough for some gigs and it has more volume than you could ever need in a bedroom situation or even band practice.
Yeah either a Cube-15X or even the Cube-20X would probably be your better choice. Here are what the control panels look like so you can see the differences in features:

Cube-15X:

Cube-20X (the power sqeezer really lets you crank it and lowers the volume):

^^^ Those are my settings by the way.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
While modellers are decent at bedroom levels, a good valve amp turned down is still FAR better than a cube at bedroom levels. I have a cube 20X, and a laney VC30, and even at literally speaking volumes the laney is better by a long way. What it comes down to is Budget, and what TS needs to do, which we don't know, so this is all pretty useless.
Killer Ant
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Quote by Cathbard
If you have a couple grand sitting around, an old Fender Champ might be the ticket, 5W of class A valvey goodness. The older the better.

Fixed

this thread has so much fail. you have people suggesting 40 watt amps for practice, then others saying tube saturation is not desireable for metal, then others saying "U can pr4ctice w1th loud amps", then the cube suggestions with the oh, so helpful control pictures.

Quote by Kid Lucas
I was thinking about the 25 watt fender frontman, what do you guys think?

no.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Yngwie#1
Any solid state amp in the 15watt to 20watt range. Examples would be Roland Cube-20X which has a power squeezer feature to control volume and the new Marshall MG15FX which has a separate master volume control. I can only recommend what worked for me since I own both of these. Keeping an open mind about it, everyone else here talks up Peavy Vypyr's like the second coming so look them up or even Line6 offerings within that solid state wattage range. Any of these will be fine for bedroom practicing as reasonable volume without loosing a full sound. My suggestion is to watch manufacurer demo videos or YouTube clips and even go to a store and hear each of them in person. That's about as fair as you can get speaking about this to help you.

Bear in mind that even a 5 watt tube amp will probably be at least as loud or more than a 15 or 20 watt solid state amp in case you are thinking of that too. I'm not sure of the actual percieved volume for the same wattage comparing tube and solid state outputs but I know tube amps are way louder per watt.

Good luck!

Are you stupid? Those are EQ'ed and edited to death.
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
Quote by zomghax
Are you stupid? Those are EQ'ed and edited to death.

Oh please don't go there with the unnecessary "stupid" insinuation. I do own the amp and it sounds just as good as the demo in person plus there are tons of amateur made un-edited youtube clips featuring the amp. There are plenty of other Cube owners here who know as well. I don't even play my Cube-20X any more since using my new [unnamed] amp that I personally like better. But I'm not getting rid of my Cube just because of that because it is a great practice amp too. And there are plenty of other nice practice amps to consider and use. To each his own and that's a better way to handle this don't you agree? No conspiracy theory needed.
I guess that depends on how soundly your girlfriend sleeps

Quote by Yngwie#1
To each his own and that's a better way to handle this don't you agree? No conspiracy theory needed.
Oh, we will theorize. Don't worry about that.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by Kid Lucas
I was thinking about the 25 watt fender frontman, what do you guys think?

Quote by Jhachey22
Fixed

Hey, he didn't say how much he wanted to spend did he? He asked what was best so I answered with what I thought would be best.

And you have hit upon the reason that I have started buying the components needed to build my own Champ based amp (albeit with some modifications to the preamp to suit my own desires).
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Actually, it would be hard to go past this little beauty for low volume practice too.

The Lil' Mo
How cool can you get before ice starts forming?

Maybe this?

The 5 watter

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mmolteratx
What do you play? What's you're budget? How loud is 'a little loud'?

I'm still waiting and seriously, everyone needs to stop posting any recommendations when you don't even know what the **** he wants to do.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

well mine is a non-master volume Vox AC30, so... that.

what is appropriate volume for some may not be appropriate for others mind you.
Quote by sigma005
Blackheart Little Giant or an Orange Tiny Terror ...

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

If your planning to get a tube amp with 50watts or more than that it might not be the best option for using in your bedroom unless you wanna blow your roof off along with the eardrums of people living near you !!
But , you can get a power attenuator and that is a damn useful device for lowering the volume of a tube amp ( while still having it cranked !)

Quote by mmolteratx

Oww ...sorry dude I did not read the whole thread before posting , just read the topic and posted ( no offence )!!
Page 1 of 3