Hey, I've recently tried recording a riff I was working on for my band, but I can't really get it to sound nice, I mean I've been working on the riff for a few weeks now, and it isn't an overtly tough riff, but I just can't get it cleaner. There's some string noise and random harmonic wailing, and it's really beginning to get frustrating.

Any help on improving muting technique?
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Slow it WAYYYYYY down and practice it, making sure to hit every note 100% cleanly. Adjust your technique accordingly to make it clean. Once you got it clean, KEEP practicing it slowly for a while.
Quote by DarkN00b
Slow it WAYYYYYY down and practice it, making sure to hit every note 100% cleanly. Adjust your technique accordingly to make it clean. Once you got it clean, KEEP practicing it slowly for a while.

this

It will be boring as hell, but trust me, that's how you do it.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

I have been playing guitar for about 4 years.
I'm just now starting to sweep pick, any advice on how to make it sound cleaner or hold the pick?
Or some advice on how to increase my speed when i go to sweep an arpeggio?
tape down the stings that are on the tuning head side of the nut, put some cotton or tissues in the floyd rose spring cavity cuz those can vibrate. and if its really bad get a cloth or sweatband and wrap it around the strings at the base of the 1st fret
Quote by Eli_G
I have been playing guitar for about 4 years.
I'm just now starting to sweep pick, any advice on how to make it sound cleaner or hold the pick?
Or some advice on how to increase my speed when i go to sweep an arpeggio?

A good thing to do would be to not hijack threads and make your own for your own question. If you do this you will be able to sweep like Paul Gilbert in about 18-21 days.
maybe post the riff?

I listened to the my curse cover you have on your profile and i'm willing to bet your experiencing some of the same problems with this riff. here is some stuff to try

Keep in mind you hand position where harmonics are on the neck, you might have to really focus on using your picking hand to mute the harmonics from coming through

Think about your picking dynamics. Sometimes you have to position your pick for the next note to get things clear (ex doing an up pick and a down vs a down and an up on a string skipping lick). I'm sorry that isn't to clear but its something you'd have to look at personally. just try to position yourself better for the entire riff

Play with a metronome. My guitar teacher is having me do that now for my sweep picking and I hate it but it does really help. Try playing your riff at supper slow speeds to figure out how to properly pick the riff and find the most efficient hand positioning.

I know this is all generic but i hope it helps