Hey Pit quick question:
I hope this is the right forum if not I apologize. So my band has been talking about getting some digital synth-like sounds just to get us a more distinct, different, and versatile sound and none of us are all the familiar with how to do it.

So i was thinking, if we run a midi controller into a laptop (via a usb-midi cable) and get a soft-synth VST plugin (i.e. Omnisphere), is that all we would need to be fully functional for live use of it?

hope this doesnt make me seem like too much of a noob. Thanks.
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
im not sure.

but i do think so. run the synth into your comp, then the comps output to your mixer.

poopedit: /thread
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by Early Cuyler
im not sure.

but i do think so. run the synth into your comp, then the comps output to your mixer.

poopedit: /thread

alright thanks thats what i was hoping for, good to have the input so now i feel like i know what I'm actually doing ha
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
In theory, yes. but in practice, I think you'll find that the midi>usb cables create a lot of latency, so it would throw the timing off a lot. Your best bet would be to get a high quality midi interface, or to buy a usb keyboard controller. I have the M-Audio KeyRig49, and it works well, and doesn't have too much latency.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Could work but watch out for latency- as said above a midi interface taking care of that should be alright.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by MattsRichardson
Hey Pit quick question:
I hope this is the right forum if not I apologize. So my band has been talking about getting some digital synth-like sounds just to get us a more distinct, different, and versatile sound and none of us are all the familiar with how to do it.

So i was thinking, if we run a midi controller into a laptop (via a usb-midi cable) and get a soft-synth VST plugin (i.e. Omnisphere), is that all we would need to be fully functional for live use of it?

hope this doesnt make me seem like too much of a noob. Thanks.

you could easily use the software synth Live but you'll want an audio interface to feed to the PA system. You're best off with an audio/MIDI combo interface like the EMU 0404 USB.
MIDI data is small so you dont have to worry about latency around that however the audio that comes out of the computer usually is the trouble spot as you need a fast computer and good audio interface, (sound card) to get the audio out fast enough.

BTW the correct place for this type question is in the R&R forum.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 31, 2009,
My band runs an M-Audio keyrig and then we just use the headphone out of the lap-top...
laptops don't normally have line-out ports and the headphone out can often be qutie rubbish quality, so watch out for that. I could be fine, but you might want to get a USB/Firewire audio interface for the output. If you get one with MIDI, you'll kill both problems with one stone.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Listen to Attack Attack and do what they do. You'll be cool AND orginal.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.