Has anyone here used a truly "boutique amp". I'm not talking about amps that are just expensive. I'm more talking about amps that are supposedly "plexi" or "bassman" or "reverb clones". I figure if an amp has like 6 billion knobs and ish on it their charging for that functionality. But, has anyone used some really expensive amps with like 3 doodads on it. Is the tone worth it?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Most of the time, clones are cheaper and more authentic than the producers 'reissues' so i don't see what you mean.
I've got a blackstar artisan 15 watt combo, which is pretty boutique ish i think, its only got 2 channels each with only a volume and tone knob (left = dark, right = bright) and I think that it sounds unbelievably amazing, I love it. I guess its up to personal preference as much as other things.
Cornell make some pretty Boutique Clones. The thing that sets them apart and allows them to charge so much is the handwiring (point to point, all done by one guy in a workshop in the UK) and the general quality of all the parts used. Likewise, Splawn, who make boutique Hot Rodded Marshalls use only the best equipment and are all handmade by Scott Splawn in the US.
Swart amps are so good that when I plugged into one and let an open chord ring, the clerk in Vintage and Rare Guitars had to hand me a kleenex to wipe away the single tear that ran down my cheek.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Swart amps are so good that when I plugged into one and let an open chord ring, the clerk in Vintage and Rare Guitars had to hand me a kleenex to wipe away the single tear that ran down my cheek.

****ing LOL!

tempting to sig that...hahahhaha
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
my amp is a boutique amp

it basically sounds like a marshall with more balls

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Aidy Damage

You played something in Vintage and Rare?
How much did that cost you?
Quote by TOMMYB22
Most of the time, clones are cheaper and more authentic than the producers 'reissues' so i don't see what you mean.

ya but they don't cost less then the originals did when they were new.

the cost isn't the issue.

Let's try this again...

A badcat lil'15 retails for 1500. My night train cost me 400. Is the bad cat 1100 dollars better? I understand tone is subjective and a night train might sound flippin awesome to some people. Honestly, I'm not interested in that opinion. Convince me to buy a bad cat or something like that. Ya, I've looked at all the links and kits and stuff. A torres is still expensive compared to a guitarcenter carried amp of the same wattage.

Quote by cliff_em_all

after looking through this list some more...all I have to say is...wut?

eva 5w standard 361 pounds for the head 611 pounds for the combo.
weinbrock me-1 112 combo 619 pounds.

Now I'm not saying omg so expensive no one should buy one, because I definitely do want one...hell I love shiny things.

All I'm saying is that you sir haven't proved anything.

If i wanted an EVA head, I would pay around £600-£750 if marshall re-released to corresponding marshall, i would have to #1 Probably get lucky, because they'll do it as a limited run and #2 spend like, 1and a half grand on the thing. io aint got £1500.

And better parts = better tone, handwired means that the amp is made with care, generaly they will always fix problems for free and you can build up a repoire with the builder and get what you really want from an amp.

EDIT: And i diddnt prove Anything? Have you phoned up most boutiqe builders to get a quote for an amp? Because this is pretty cheap compared to most.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Dec 31, 2009,
fair enough on the reissue comparison.

So has anyone a/b'd a handwired version of an amp with a similar pcb version?
I'm lazy as all hell and don't want to bust my ass demoing all these fancy amps with dealers that are far from me not to mention finding an original plexi. BAH

Quote by ze monsta
You played something in Vintage and Rare?
How much did that cost you?

Gently coming on to the girl in there.
Quote by cliff_em_all
If i wanted an EVA head, I would pay around £600-£750 if marshall re-released to corresponding marshall, i would have to #1 Probably get lucky, because they'll do it as a limited run and #2 spend like, 1and a half grand on the thing. io aint got £1500.

And better parts = better tone, handwired means that the amp is made with care, generaly they will always fix problems for free and you can build up a repoire with the builder and get what you really want from an amp.

EDIT: And i diddnt prove Anything? Have you phoned up most boutiqe builders to get a quote for an amp? Because this is pretty cheap compared to most.

actually, yes yes I have. I've been looking at boutique amps for the last few weeks online, hence the question. But, no hard feelings aite. I was just being facetious. Let's think about it this way taking a 5w amp as an example.

Blackheart Little Giant 5w - Around 200 I think
Swart 5 watter - 600

if we take say 100 watts

Peavey Windsor - round 200 used
Mesa Boogie's - Somewhere between 1000-3000 used/new
Splawn Nitro - 2000
Fuchs 50w - 3500
Dumble - 1 testicle and 2 inches off the shaft.

There's stuff in all different price points. All I want to know is...why is the swart better then the 5w? Is is because of ptp/handwiring. Was it obvious to you when you heard it? You're getting too caught up on the price thing. I was just using that as an example to try to define what I was talking about but it's really not an issue. Just pretend that price isn't an issue for me at all except that if I buy a dumble I can't buy 1100 prostitutes.

i once met a dumble that only worked for guys with 10 inches.

pfft, i ain't cutting 2 inches off for any amp.

seriously, it's mostly better parts and workmanship if we are talking truly "boutique". And they are made for people who aren't concerned about price. Tone King is another good example.
I am in love with a Matchless Cheiftain...I will have one someday

I also really like Bad Cat and Top Hat stuff.....Steve Carr's amp shop is one block from my church. He's a nice guy that makes sick amps. Dr Z makes great stuff too.....heck I just really like boutique amps
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by AcousticMirror

I'm lazy as all hell and don't want to bust my ass demoing all these fancy amps with dealers that are far from me not to mention finding an original plexi. BAH

I a/b'd a Handwired JMI AC30 with a Vox AC30CC2x (the best Custom Class AC30 vox offer)
the JMI Blew it Away in every respect (including volume - 30w with no master is loud as hell!
Played a Cornell Amp in Vintage and Rare Guitars when I was in London. Great amp. Sounds really good. Nails Clapton's current tone.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by AcousticMirror

not exactly but i have compared a PCB fender blackface reverb with a handwired fender blackface reverb. The handwired amp retains the bass slightly better than the PCB, but other than that not much difference.
I get to Play on one of These everyday
I don't think you understand why these amps are worth so much.

This is a Diezel, it is what I consider to be a modern boutique amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztorP3LMyU

The head retails at $4000, it is a tube amp with 150 watts, it has a tone that stretches from the 60's to today and beyond. The quality of these amps is incredible.

This is a line 6 spider 2, it is basically a glorified practice amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nuPrHWMSsc

While this may not be the BEST example of the spiders, and sure tone is subjective; regardless, many (along with myself) would prefer the diezel over the sometimes faulty spider series.

Oh, and btw, they both have 150 watts.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
I don't think you understand why these amps are worth so much.

This is a Diezel, it is what I consider to be a modern boutique amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztorP3LMyU

The head retails at $4000, it is a tube amp with 150 watts, it has a tone that stretches from the 60's to today and beyond. The quality of these amps is incredible.

This is a line 6 spider 2, it is basically a glorified practice amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nuPrHWMSsc

While this may not be the BEST example of the spiders, and sure tone is subjective; regardless, many (along with myself) would prefer the diezel over the sometimes faulty spider series.

Oh, and btw, they both have 150 watts.

alright shut it down. this obviously isn't working. I don't mean to be rude but did you read my initial post and the ones after it explaining the point of the initial question. Look at my sig. Does it look like I would have a problem with the cost. I wanted some opinions because I can't walk into a guitar center and play a diezel, a buddha, an original jtm45, a metroamp, a people's amp, a torres kit build, 2dudes1garage and whatever else exists.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

How's that buddha? Tell me about it. What's it sound like, what else have you played on?

btw: 2dudes1garage is going to be the name of my online boutique amp company. So don't anyone else start getting ideas. copyrighted beyatches. You know how in how high they smoke some weed fertilized by some dudes ashes. I totally stealth shaved malmsteen the last time I saw him live. Hair-wired. beat that.

carry on.

The Budda is a Very simple 2 channel hand wired amp. 2 push pull pot's pot 1 IN for vintage out for modern, and Pot 2 is for the Brightness, 2 el84, 3 12ax7 and has tube rectifer it does from pristine to Dirty cleans and enuff gain with no pedals for Classic and hair metal. Add some boost and it gets Filthy Great effects Loop IT takes pedals well Just An amazing amp!! For speakers I have a VERY vintage v30.