Hi, I'm a newbie when it comes to electric guitars and i'M planing to get one in the near future, but there are a few problems i need to solve.

I think everyone noticed that every style/group has its own representative guitars. for eg.
Go to youtube:
Guns N Roses are always covered with Epi/Gibson LP's
AC/DC - SG's
Metallica Ibanez/ESP's

Now it wouldnt be a problem to hop to the shop pickup some guitars try em out and buy.
But i read tones of times that they all kinda fit different styles of music, ( the wood, pickups, amps blah blah etc etc)
My question is what guitar could fit the most styles without having to buy tons of pedals, effects or any other stuff there is.
(guitar +amp)
I'd say my bugget would be around 600 bucks

It would also be ok if someone could explain me why havent i seen metal played with an LP? and vice vesa
Last edited by JosephVincent at Dec 31, 2009,
You can play anything with any guitar!

A Les Paul for example does GNR aswell as ACDC and Metallica if you have the right amp. Most people covering the songs are fanboys who play the same guitars as their Idols but it's not neccessary at all.

A Superstrat shape like an Ibanez RG or a Jackson Dinky should cover all styles fairly well but if you prefer a certain shape then go for it and don't let people tell you it can't deliver a certain sound...
i recommend a les paul, they are incredibly versatile
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
You should be careful with the word range. You should have put 'versatile' in the title. Range often refers to how many notes can be played, and for a guitar with large range i would have recommended an R36 Turbulence, but that one is not versatile at all.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
TBH Any guitar will get you whatever you need as long as YOU are able to pull them off. If you gave the guys at metallica a Squier and asked them to play songs you know what they will sound like...Metallica albeit probably just not with the right tone. But basically it all comes down you.
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-standard-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar-black-maple--59979

A HSS Strat is one of the more versatile guitars out there, not to mention it's fairly cheap and they play really nicely. They're also really good for modding if you want to change the pickups and all that. The bridge humbucker will get those AC/DC tones, Metallica tones and some GN'R tones (you won't get the neck pickup tones, but like I said, just swap out the neck single coil for a Little '59 or something, and you'll have them).

Do you need an amp as well?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/fender-standard-stratocaster-hss-electric-guitar-black-maple--59979

A HSS Strat is one of the more versatile guitars out there, not to mention it's fairly cheap and they play really nicely. They're also really good for modding if you want to change the pickups and all that. The bridge humbucker will get those AC/DC tones, Metallica tones and some GN'R tones (you won't get the neck pickup tones, but like I said, just swap out the neck single coil for a Little '59 or something, and you'll have them).

Do you need an amp as well?

Yeah I need an amp aswell,

Thanks for the reply guys ! If you got some more pour it down here.
You can do almost anything with any guitar.
You should be probably more worried about an amp.
if you get a good amp and a decent epi/squier, you will be set for awhile.

pickups dont matter that much...in your situation, i would grab the cheapest guitar that feels good in my hands and seems pretty reliable. then i would spend the rest of my money on an amp...

you have 600 bucks...i would spend 400 on an amp and 200 on a guitar
if you get a pretty good deal used you can get a MIM HSS strat and a Peavey Classic 30 or somethin. that setup is actually so much better than what most ppl have. add an OD pedal and you can do almost anything but the really heavy metal
Another vote for HSS pup setup. You really can't beat a used MIM HSS strat.....can find them all day for $250 and occasionally $200.
Quote by JosephVincent

If he's new, he's not going to be wanting to switching pickups.
Another vote for a HSS strat from me.
Quote by webwarmiller
Another vote for HSS pup setup. You really can't beat a used MIM HSS strat.....can find them all day for $250 and occasionally $200.

this is true but you dont even have to get MIM. some squiers will be fine. even the lyon pro series by washburn is okay. my friend has one and its nothin special but it was built very well. he got his for 150 at a pawn shop, so on craigslist or watever you can probably grab one for 120.

the HSS is especialy cool if your a beginner. I prefer single coils. some ppl love humbuckers to death. if your a beginner with a HSS your gettin both so thats cool.
TS, wat are you planning to do with your guitar playing?
if your a bedroom player, then you can get a smaller amp and better guitar.
I don't know about about your categorization, but I play music from those 3 bands with my Ibanez guitars.

I say HSS too.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by webwarmiller

250$ ? Working one ? Where?
I recommend a HSS strat as well.

And styles don't call for specific body shapes -- the shape of a guitar is completely irrelevant to it's tone. A Les Paul made out of the same wood as an Ibanez RG will not sound like a LP, even though it shares the look of other LP's. A shape is mostly for aesthetic and comfort preferences.

Any guitar can be played for any genre of music, even if the tonewood or pickups aren't what is found most suitable...tone is, to me, in order of importance:

1- how you play - the dynamics and nuances of your playing are the biggest difference to my ears.

2- your amp - how your amp can capture your dynamics and nuances are almost as equally important, but if the characteristics of playing your style isn't there, it won't matter how good (or bad) your amp is.

3- your pickups - the pickups make a huge difference in the sound...try all sorts of different outputs. I find higher outputs to be more suited for metal, as they offer more gain from the get-go, but I prefer lower output, as to me they give the truest signal.

4- the tone wood - the tonewood is also very important...lots of players have very specific desires, I think however as long as the tonewood is high quality, it will really give a guitar it's own tone and therefore I don't always seek out a specific one, I just listen to it with unbiased ears.

Even though I definitely do recommend an HSS strat, I recommend you go out and try all sorts of guitars and find what you find most comfortable. I find strats very comfortable and easy to play, and LP's are an absolute chore for me to play -- you may be the opposite.

In the end, you will always be most comfortable with what you've been playing for a long time, so pick out something that you think will have a lasting effect on your future choice of guitars -- If you will eventually want a Gibson LP Custom, playing a strat for years will definitely make you change your mind when that time finally comes.
Quote by AlanHB
As for the guitarist being a wanker - he's a guitarist. Get used to it.