Page 1 of 2
Hi there... Happy new year

ok so i am trying to stop anchoring...
now when i tried playing with absolutely no contact with the guitar my hand got tired really quick. Need i mention tho that i've been sick lately, so could the tireness be off the weakness body? Or could it be because I have to hold up my hand all the time with no support from the guitar?
I'm doing everything i can to do it right

Thank you
hmm,
have you tried putting your hand behind this bridge?

Or does this guitar have a trem on it?
I solved the problem with putting my guitar to my knees
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
I solved the problem with putting my guitar to my knees

isnt that uncomfortable?
Quote by Ibarshall_X
Hi there... Happy new year

ok so i am trying to stop anchoring...
now when i tried playing with absolutely no contact with the guitar my hand got tired really quick. Need i mention tho that i've been sick lately, so could the tireness be off the weakness body? Or could it be because I have to hold up my hand all the time with no support from the guitar?
I'm doing everything i can to do it right

Thank you

If you touch the guitar, that's fine. It's only anchoring if you can't play without you hand or arm in the same position while playing. Nobody expects you to never let your arm touch the guitar. That would create tension, which is bad. It's not about not touching, it's about being able to play freely.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
i couldnt play with my fingers curled in before ...now i can
i know now tht the pivoting point is my hand on the tremolo
because when i lift my hand off the tremolo then it gets very difficult
and then my arm tires in a while
could it be enough that i lifted my hand off the tremolo only just a little?...i mean like I'd still be touching it and still getting mutes
currently im like resting my hand on the tremolo/fat E string
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Jan 1, 2010,
Just curious.. what's wrong with anchoring?

Edit: I anchor with my pinky sometimes when I feel it's necessary, so maybe there are other ways people do it that are not correct or have side effects that I'm not aware of?
Last edited by Rocknawe at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by Rocknawe

Edit: I anchor with my pinky sometimes when I feel it's necessary, so maybe there are other ways people do it that are not correct or have side effects that I'm not aware of?

Creates tension and can cause carpal tunnel.
I just kept checking myself constantly and stopping myself, your body will start listening eventually
I would rather be flawed and wise, than perfect and blind.
Quote by Rocknawe

Quote by Jay2007
Creates tension and can cause carpal tunnel.

+1

And anchoring is never necessary. It improves your accuracy, but limits your range of motion. Most of the people on here will tell you not to do it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Quote by Ibarshall_X
could it be enough that i lifted my hand off the tremolo only just a little?...i mean like I'd still be touching it and still getting mutes

anyone?
Quote by Junior#1
+1

And anchoring is never necessary. It improves your accuracy, but limits your range of motion. Most of the people on here will tell you not to do it.

Exactly why i have decided to dump it
My hand still tires without anchoring...
and when it tires i dont fee loose...tension comes
is resting on the guitar same as anchoring?
does the tension have something to do with stamina?
I've been sick lately (for a month now) and haven't trained alot...could the tireness come from that?
its not good to have your guitar that low
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
its not good to have your guitar that low

I've tried many heights it doesnt matter
i'm trying it but it creates tension in my pinky because i always have that finger on my fretboard.. but now i can't play legato speedruns and stuff, eventhough it helps me sweep and gallop. tips anyone?
If it's comfortable just leave it, many top players do it
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Ibarshall_X
My hand still tires without anchoring...
is resting on the guitar same as anchoring?
does the tension have something to do with stamina?
I've been sick lately (for a month now) and haven't trained alot...could the tireness come from that?

Quote by Ibarshall_X
I've tried many heights it doesnt matter

yes it does.having guitars too low leads to bad posture and puts extra strain on your wrist because of the sharper angle
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Ibarshall_X
i couldnt play with my fingers curled in before ...now i can

The test to see if you're anchoring is if you can play without touching the guitar body and it doesn't get harder. I wouldn't advise keeping your hand away from the body the whole time- unless you're arm is touching the guitar and causing you to bend your wrist or something.
Quote by Eggmond
yes it does.having guitars too low leads to bad posture and puts extra strain on your wrist because of the sharper angle

for the right hand?
i dont think so
Quote by chainsawguitar
The test to see if you're anchoring is if you can play without touching the guitar body and it doesn't get harder. I wouldn't advise keeping your hand away from the body the whole time- unless you're arm is touching the guitar and causing you to bend your wrist or something.

I try to keep my arm away form the body of the guitar, but when i do that, my forearm gets tired which leads to some tension...Thats the whole reason i made this thread
so has this anything to do with stamina? I've been sick recently, dont have much energy
Or do i just have to get used to it?
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Jan 3, 2010,
IF it's comfortable, I don't see the problem in anchoring. I anchor, always have, always will, it just feels right, and that's what matters
Quote by hetfieldaaaah
IF it's comfortable, I don't see the problem in anchoring. I anchor, always have, always will, it just feels right, and that's what matters

+1.

That's the keyword: "comfortable". You can try also playing with circle picking and adding a little wrist movement when necessary, that way of picking is harder to get it right, but the once you get it, is extremely comfortable and tensionless, because the movements are so small that you don't depend on details like anchoring or not, resting your hand on the bridge, pickups with mounting ring or without, etc...

This guitarist is a perfect example of this picking technique:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ4AsE0jjeg
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by hetfieldaaaah

i was comfortable with anchoring...
but it led to tensions
Quote by hetfieldaaaah

Well yes comfort is important, but since anchoring can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, I decided to give it up. My ability and technique skyrocketed after that.
Quote by Geldin
Quote by Junior#1
Well yes comfort is important, but since anchoring can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome, I decided to give it up. My ability and technique skyrocketed after that.

rEALLY? :O
I mean after anchoring, technique starts rocketing? lol

But please about these tensions and tireness when i dont anchor
has this anything to do with stamina? I've been sick recently, dont have much energy
In the beginning i anchored my pinky finger in the guitar, and my hand was practically glued to the bridge.
Glad i got that over with, because it limited my wrist motion.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
It's morphing time bitches.
I'm slightly confused as to what anchoring really is. Is it resting your arm on the guitar or is it when you put your ring and little fingers on the guitar? I find that when i'm fingerpicking and i don't need to use my ring finger for a passage in the song i rest it on the guitar gently. Is that bad?

I used to anchor my pinky like that.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
* at TunaFish

OH DAMN YOU!!!

Quote by SteveHouse
TunaFish ==

This made me lol:
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
It's morphing time bitches.
Quote by Ibarshall_X
for the right hand?
i dont think so

yes it does.iv been playing for over 7 years and i can tell you that having a guitar at the wrong height is a bad deciion.thats why a lot of people have difficulty playing things standing up that they can play with ease while sitting down
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Quote by Ibarshall_X
I try to keep my arm away form the body of the guitar, but when i do that, my forearm gets tired which leads to some tension...Thats the whole reason i made this thread
so has this anything to do with stamina? I've been sick recently, dont have much energy

OK, now I'm confused. Either I didn't understand your question, or you didn't understand my answer.

If your arm is getting tired, it's because of tension. Deal with this tension first. Remove it.
Quote by chainsawguitar
OK, now I'm confused. Either I didn't understand your question, or you didn't understand my answer.

If your arm is getting tired, it's because of tension. Deal with this tension first. Remove it.

so it has nothing to do with stamina?
as i understood, u advise me to keep my hand on the tremolo and my forearm away from the guitar body?
I mean... when i want no anchor, doesnt that mean my arm and hand both have to be totally afloat from the guitar?
Last edited by Ibarshall_X at Jan 3, 2010,
Quote by tenfold
Your hand can touch as long as it's not fixed. In most cases you will need to do some right hand dampening anyways.

ok
Is forearm against the guitar anchoring?
Cuz i just watched one of Freepowers videos, the one about posture
and he said its either a finger, or hand on the tremolo really hard..
As i understand forearm on the guitar isnt then?
So am i right in thinking i anchor when finger picking? Because i was playing Jose Gonzalez last night and realised that the fingers i was not using to pick were resting against the High e string.
Page 1 of 2