I've got a Tanglewood Nevada, which is a strat copy, an okay guitar about the same as a Affinity Squier. I was thinking of painting it white/cream, dropping in a tortoiseshell pickguard and then putting in some white Dimarzio rails such as Pro Track, Fast track 2 and Chopper, to make a nicer looking, better sounding guitar. Would this be a decent upgrade, is it tricky to fit new pickguards and at what stage would I do it, how much would this cost me as I don't know the best place to buy Dimarzio pickups in the UK? The colour scheme would hopefully look like the attached image.
Attachments:
strat.jpg
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Anyone have experience with the Dimarzio strat rails range?
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Thomann is always good to buy from if you're in the UK (they're based in germany).. Usually pretty good prices and if you pay more than 199 euros your shipping's free..

I bought al the stuff for my project there and It's pretty good and got here fast

If not theirs always ebay.. a bit limited though.

HELLO!

Thanks man i've looked at Thomann before but forgot about for this.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
No, thankyou you made me look at squiers on thomann and I saw a pink one for only £75 think I may try it out as a project :P.

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
No, thankyou you made me look at squiers on thomann and I saw a pink one for only £75 think I may try it out as a project :P.

Lmao I do my best. Plus I was looking at buying the pickguard from Warmoth as they are cheap, but its said Warning May Not Fit non Fender Guitars? :S Mine looks like a normal strat but could there be differences?
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Last edited by Stugg334 at Dec 31, 2009,
Typically all Fender strat copies are built to the exact same specs as the originals, except much worse build quality and materials, so anything you buy it'll have to be "Import strat" type parts. The pickguard thing and pickup thing prolly the majority of the upgrade you should do, but you need to replace the saddles, trem plate, sustain block, the nut, string trees, and the tuners for it to be a real effective upgrade. All Parts.com can cover you on most of that.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Typically all Fender strat copies are built to the exact same specs as the originals, except much worse build quality and materials, so anything you buy it'll have to be "Import strat" type parts. The pickguard thing and pickup thing prolly the majority of the upgrade you should do, but you need to replace the saddles, trem plate, sustain block, the nut, string trees, and the tuners for it to be a real effective upgrade. All Parts.com can cover you on most of that.

:S that sounds tricky and expensive, I'm a total noob to guitar work and didn't plant to spend more than £200, I wanted it to reach MIM strat quality if possible, which of those upgrades are easiest and most important?
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
^^^ bearing in mind I never use the trem if that makes a difference.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Do the pickup thing, and then get a Graphtech supercharger kit from Graphtech.com, and make sure you measure your trem from E string to e sting. Mine was the import strat size, which is like a 1/4 in under the standard strat trem size, but it should fit yours if you say yours is like an Affinity strat. The reason that at least upgradeing your sustain block is a good idea is your trem is floating weather you like it or not, even if it is blocked, and your sustain block is a chunk of iron crap sucking up alot of tone, so replaceing it with an aliminum one or a steel one will give you better tone as well as sustain. And the graphtech supercharger kit will make your trem hardly ever go out of tune as well as add a shit ton of tone to your guitar. Its very simple, I installed it on my Squier Affinity and it works wonder.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Do the pickup thing, and then get a Graphtech supercharger kit from Graphtech.com, and make sure you measure your trem from E string to e sting. Mine was the import strat size, which is like a 1/4 in under the standard strat trem size, but it should fit yours if you say yours is like an Affinity strat. The reason that at least upgradeing your sustain block is a good idea is your trem is floating weather you like it or not, even if it is blocked, and your sustain block is a chunk of iron crap sucking up alot of tone, so replaceing it with an aliminum one or a steel one will give you better tone as well as sustain. And the graphtech supercharger kit will make your trem hardly ever go out of tune as well as add a shit ton of tone to your guitar. Its very simple, I installed it on my Squier Affinity and it works wonder.

Cheers bro so what is the standard strat trem size?, because I just guessed my guitar is very similar to the Squier but could be different.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
if you have troubles with pickguard sizes or positions then a lot of companies offer stenciling - where you sketch your pickguard shape and screwholes and they make a copy via that, but for under $200 your best bit is pickup change, other stuff (like painting) is fairly cheap.

HELLO!

Quote by JamesLPs
if you have troubles with pickguard sizes or positions then a lot of companies offer stenciling - where you sketch your pickguard shape and screwholes and they make a copy via that, but for under $200 your best bit is pickup change, other stuff (like painting) is fairly cheap.

I'll speak to the local music shop guy and its £200, pounds. The pickups I was looking at cost £185 altogether. :S. What other mods could I do that are cheap - not restricting it to £200 but don't wanna go way over.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
My bad I'm english myself so I'm used to putting $ for all the Americans .

are the pickups you're getting active or passive?

And what is your nut made from? Plastic or bone?

HELLO!

Oh that Supercharger Kit includes loads of stuff and is only £37 I might be okay, have to check that it would fit mine first but it says fits import strats
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by JamesLPs
My bad I'm english myself so I'm used to putting $ for all the Americans .

are the pickups you're getting active or passive?

And what is your nut made from? Plastic or bone?

Sorry for late reply, plastic nut, and im pretty sure they're passive but Dimarzios website doesn't say that any of their pickups are active. I naturally assumed they were passive, but now not so sure as cannot find evidence either way.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
well an extremely cheap mod if you get actives is to swap to 18v rather than 9v, it provides a lot more tone and improves the pickups, just thought i'd throw that in there in case.

And consider a bone nut then good tone improvment.

HELLO!

I don't really want actives, I want passives except im not sure that the pickups such as the Fast Rails 2 and Chopper are active or passive.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Bahh!! cant find the Graphtech Superchargers in the UK!! All the dealer websites appear to not have them.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
When you strip the paint, fill in the screw holes. Then after you paint it, you can put your own and your pickgaurd will fit.
Quote by Y3rd4dd1
When you strip the paint, fill in the screw holes. Then after you paint it, you can put your own and your pickgaurd will fit.

Ahh good thinking. Tips like this are just what I need.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just order it direct from the Graphtech site, they will ship it anywhere, and the prices are the exact same as any other website. Just contact the graphtech services and ask about your guitar and what kit would fit it.

thanks i wasn't sure about where they would ship or if the prices were overblown, i'll remember that when i get round to ordering.
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Because the Dimarzios are so expensive, would it be a good idea to use some Guitar Fetish pickups for the neck and middle then put a hot Dimarzio in the bridge?
Quote by slash11896

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.