Hi.
I've heard that the distorion on a Laney VC30 112 only gets good at higher volumes, would it still sound bad at lower volumes if I plugged in somekind of overdrive or distortion pedal?
I tryed it out and absolutely loved the clean sound. Clean sound is very important to me, but I also want to be able to get some great distortion. Is the clean sound of a VC15 just as good as on the VC30?
the 30 is really loud. i have trouble getting decent low volume sounds out of my vc15, the 30 needs to be turned up to basically practise volumes to sounds any good IMO

go for the 15 unless youre gigging/practising with a band
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I had the vc30 210 which i swapped for a vc15 with another member on this site, like the other posters said, the vc30 is LOUD, even with the volume at 3 it was too loud for my bedroom so i never had the oportunity to crank it and get some nice overdriven sounds.

The vc15 however is a little beauty, can get some nice crunch tones even at low volumes, i bought an overdrive pedal for using with the vc30 but since i got the vc15 i have never needed to use it.
The vc15 does sound like a better alternative as long as the clean sound is as good as on the vc30.
I can add the main purpose of the amp would be, home practising and recording, is there more noice on the vc15?
If you're in the UK I'm selling mine for £300. The distortion is great past about 3, but I use an OD pedal with it. I'll throw in my Digitech Bad Monkey for another £25.
Quote by magnum sharp
The vc15 does sound like a better alternative as long as the clean sound is as good as on the vc30.
I can add the main purpose of the amp would be, home practising and recording, is there more noice on the vc15?

as far as i know, the whole VC series is let down ever so slightly by noise, but if you mic properly it shouldnt be a problem

i think theres still a clip on my profile
Thanks for the answers, but I still need to know if the vc30 would sound good with a pedal at low volumes.
All good advice so far Magnum, but even the VC15 is pretty loud!

I have a VC30 and use a TS-808 Boss CS-3 compressor & EB volume pedal to control the volume. It is a powerful amp - my friend has a Fender Supersonic combo and with the VC30 it can certainly hold it's own.

However, at low volumes, it can be a little bit all or nothing. On the drive channel, if the gain is up but the drive volume is less than 1 it sounds very thin as if the speaker isn't fully engaged and certainly without any bass kick. As soon as it is up past 1 towards 3 it starts to kick in. I have mine setup with ext cab in our box room (acoustics are awful!) but with the volume set to between 1-3 (depending on time of day!) I can certainly get a decent sound with the pedals and I always play them into the clean channel - I actually rarely use the drive channel.

If you were wanting to run straight into the amp and use the drive channel, it needs to be cranked. At this point, you need a. deaf neighbours or b. to live in the countryside as things start to get proper loud. When gigging, I generally set the amp to 5 for volume and control things with the volume pedal.

Finally, as you are focusing on recording, I would controversially suggest a much smaller amp like a Vox AV4TV (think that's the model number) as they sound pretty good clean and can take pedals nicely...and are happier with bedroom/recording studio friendly volumes.

Just my opinions of course. ;-)

Good luck with your search.
(Yet Another) Member of the Laney Cult
Gear in Profile
Bear in mind that while it wont sound AS GOOD at low levels, It's still good. I'm perfectly happy with mine, it destroys my old modeller even on volume 1. It does lack some depth and punch, but it's still decent. And to the AC4 suggestion, if your not gigging that's a much better idea, not controversial at all, I nearly got one but needed some giggable cleans.
Quote by ProgFolk12
Bear in mind that while it wont sound AS GOOD at low levels, It's still good. I'm perfectly happy with mine, it destroys my old modeller even on volume 1. It does lack some depth and punch, but it's still decent. And to the AC4 suggestion, if your not gigging that's a much better idea, not controversial at all, I nearly got one but needed some giggable cleans.

True. I have been looking at the AC4 for a while, but keep coming back to the VC30 for exactly the same reason (giggable cleans). The VC30s aren't half decent amps for the money really - if I wasn't gigging occasionally I would certainly have an AC4 by now!
(Yet Another) Member of the Laney Cult
Gear in Profile
I think the VC30 sounds damn good at low volume.

It's not a particularly loud 30-watter really, not nearly as loud as some vintage AC15s I've played, or indeed my 18W Marshall.
Thanks for all the advice. I think i'm still leaning towards getting a vc30. The clean sound was spot on what i've been looking for. I'm afriad I wouldn't get quite as satisfied on that point with the vc15, though I wouldn't know since I don't have the possibility to try it out. I don't feel very comfortable buying an amp i haven't tried out, which is the case with the AC4, I don't have the possibility to try it either if I don't want to go on a 4 hour drive.
Quote by magnum sharp
Thanks for all the advice. I think i'm still leaning towards getting a vc30. The clean sound was spot on what i've been looking for. I'm afriad I wouldn't get quite as satisfied on that point with the vc15, though I wouldn't know since I don't have the possibility to try it out. I don't feel very comfortable buying an amp i haven't tried out, which is the case with the AC4, I don't have the possibility to try it either if I don't want to go on a 4 hour drive.

i prefer the clean on my 15 to the 30 i played

however that was in a practise room and will have most likely been hammered