Page 1 of 2
I have had a Les Paul for around 2 years. I can play fairly fast. However, I keep reading people saying, " if you want to play fast you need a guitar that is fast, with a thin, flat neck etc..." Is this true? I have small hands, so would getting a guitar that has a thinner, flat neck, help me play a little faster? I am kinda lost on this subject.
It's all about preference.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
i can say for myself that i like my necks as thin as possible.
i have rather small hands and play mostly in classical position, so a thinner neck keeps my fingers closer to the fretboard.

but thats personal preference
Some necks just feel better in your hands, that you can play faster not, I can only play so fast, and it does´nt matter which guitar I´m using my PRS or my RG 1550 which probably has the best neck in the world on it, I still cant play faster.
was discussing this today, its all about what you get used to i think.. if you have been playing for that long on that neck you might find a thin neck difficult, i know i do when i change over from fat to thin
its all preference though
if its too thin your hand will get cramped, same as too thick. I'd go for somewhere in the middle but a bit on the thinner side

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
It's just about what fits your hand. Ultimately, a guitar is only as good as it's player.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I find it easier to keep a technically correct hand and wrist position on a thin neck such as that on my Ibanez however I cant play faster on the Ibanez compared to my PRS or Epi LP and they have more traditional neck profiles.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Strat neck > other necks

but that'S just me.
Some people like LP necks.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
well, I prefer the neck on my cheap lp to that of an ibanez prestige . . . so ya know
it's all down to preferance
I can play just as fast on both necks and I like the prestige neck, just my lp feels alot more comfortable than the ibby (and schecter necks just make me cream tbh)
thick round necks > thin flat necks!
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
Quote by Slicer666

Quoted for the motherfucking truth.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
if you get a guitar with a really thin neck (like an ibanez or so) after you've gotten used to it i think that it might be a bit easier to play and to move your hand around the fretboard.
Generally a thin neck is considered faster because there's less wood in the way to slow your hand down. The flipside is that playing chords for an extended period is agony as you get cramp a lot easier. I've become used to the thin neck on my RGT42 and I now find it almost impossible to play a guitar with a thick neck. Having said that, I don't have any desire for an even thinner neck. That Ibanez RG3620Z seems to have a ludicrously thin neck!
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
It's personal preference really. I prefer a thicker, more rounded neck. To me, the thickness of the neck doesn't determine speed. That's more something that's determined by the action, I'd think.
Quote by Slicer666

QFMFT.

/thread
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Slicer666

+1

Also the Action is critical. A good setup makes it easier and faster to fret notes.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Geldin
It's preference. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

touche. There are great players who play fast with LP, strat, ibanez, tele, u name it. Comfort is where fast comes from. U cant play fast in a neck that is pain to hold. At least not for long
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
Quote by Geldin

this.

I hate thin necks. they make it harder for me to fret notes properly so i play badly on them and my hand starts to ache very very fast. sure, that's my problem and not the guitar's fault, but i have no such problems when playing guitars with baseball bat necks.. even though i have quite small hands. But other people like thin necks and hate the baseball bats... to each his own.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Whatever works for a given player is fine. I like slightly oversize necks - thin gets uncomfortable after a couple of sets. As far as being fast, speed is mostly in the picking hand anyways, so fast necks are mostly a myth. But big, well crowned frets do tend to make it a little easier to fret quickly.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Geldin

Never heard of you, but in the spirit of the new year, here's a siggable quote.

Quite correct. Listen to this guy TS, he actually does know what he's saying unlike most.

Either way though, yes, this post is correct; it's all in the eye of the beholder.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
I think Alvin Lee would doubt that you need a super slim neck for speed. He played a 335 and was lightning fast.
Last edited by danohat at Dec 31, 2009,
Now lets talk fast necks, there is a difference between thin and fast necks.
Faster necks tend to have the strings closer together and have mass between the back of the neck and the top of the fingerboard. Also, ridiculously small necks can make big hands cramp up.

It's funny - I prefer playing chords on my Ibanez's neck, but sweeping feels more comfortable on my Strat. Weird, huh?
You'll hear that it's all about preference when it comes to these kinda things, and it really is. I have small hands, and I play better and faster on a thin neck vs. a medium to thick neck.
its defiantly about preference, i personally find thin necks hard work and uncomfortable to play, but i can play pretty fast on my guitars which all have a pretty wide thick profile to them all.

hell if johnny hiland can play fast on his paul reed smith, its possible for others to do it with a little practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-eTux-t9Mw
I play fastest on my LP.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
ESP Necks are no doubt my favorite, Don't like Ibanez anymore after playing the ESP. Like already metioned it's just your hand size and everyone has a preference to what kind of neck they like. I prefer a slim C neck. While the Ibanez are more like a D.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Well guys, I am considering getting a Jackson RR1, as Randy Rhoads is my all time idol. Would coming from a 60's style Les Paul to a Jackson RR1 be a drastic change? I've yet to see a RR1 in person to play it.
Last edited by modirnwarfare at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by Slicer666

right off the bat a solid post. go to a local guitar store and play some thinner neck guitars. i cant go any thinner than the neck that the gibson V has. anything thinner and my hand literally starts to hurt within a couple of minutes. ive never had a problem playing fast on LP necks. try out a bunch of different guitars and see what suits YOU best.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
right off the bat a solid post. go to a local guitar store and play some thinner neck guitars. i cant go any thinner than the neck that the gibson V has. anything thinner and my hand literally starts to hurt within a couple of minutes. ive never had a problem playing fast on LP necks. try out a bunch of different guitars and see what suits YOU best.

This is the long version. Again, QFT.

I personally can go as thin as I want - I just change my hand position. Thicker necks, I wrap my hand around. Thinner, I play in classical position.

Anyway - It's a very different feel, TS. RR1's have the typical Jackson neck - thin, but rounded. Gibson '60s necks aren't exactly boatneck-sized, but they're not tiny either.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jan 1, 2010,
I use a Jackson most of the time but just got a Tele and it seems just as fast, just different.
Quote by oneblackened
This is the long version. Again, QFT.

I personally can go as thin as I want - I just change my hand position. Thicker necks, I wrap my hand around. Thinner, I play in classical position.

Anyway - It's a very different feel, TS. RR1's have the typical Jackson neck - thin, but rounded. Gibson '60s necks aren't exactly boatneck-sized, but they're not tiny either.

oh it could be longer. 60s necks feel super comfortable though. theyre like the happy medium for me. my V is the shredder guitar for sure. stuff is effortless on it, but when i play my SG stuff fels more solid and in control. its weird but i dig it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I know what you mean, My Epi LP has a neck not unlike a '60s neck. Very comfy neck. My other guitar basically has an ESP "Thin U" shaped neck. Not super thin, but very fast.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I can shred on a Les Paul neck or even on the necks of old russian acoustic guitars. But it's not how fast you can shred on a fast neck - it's how long you can do it. It takes noticeably less effort to shred an Ibanez Prestige neck than to shred on soviet 'Semistrunka'. But there is a reason why I don't play those anarexic thin necks. They give me the cramps. But again those are personal preferances.
I play best on a medium neck, I've got quite big hands so can't play rea\lly thin necks. It's all down to prefference.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
I think there comes a point where neck profiles don't hinder a person's playing as much but people will always have preferences for neck size and the like. When I was starting out, I could never play on a big neck, it felt foreign to me so I shied away from them and never thought I'd like or play as well on a big neck. Now, I only play big necks.

That's not to say that neck profiles don't matter when you're a good player. But as for thin necks = faster playing goes, I think it's mostly a misconception. Most people who shred use thinner necks which would lead some to people that maybe it's required to play fast. That's just my thought on the matter though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Page 1 of 2