What key is Voodoo Child by Hendrix in? I know I'd use the pentatonic to improvise over it, but in what key?
Quote by pete-c
Fairly sure it's E? Or Eb since it's tuned half-step down.

Yep. But E Minor would probably be the written Key...or Ebm per the halfstep down tuning. But 'position' wise it's E Minor.
Quote by Lollage123
Why minor? It doesn't seem very sad..

Cause it's voodoo

It based in the E Minor Pentatonic scale. So, it would more than likely be written in E Minor since the Tonic is E and also to keep the sharps and flats in the Key signature rather that all over the chart.

You are talking about "Slight Return" right? Or do you mean Chile, not Child?
Last edited by MikeDodge at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by Lollage123
Why minor? It doesn't seem very sad..

just because somthing's in minor doesn't mean it's "sad" and major doesn't mean "happy" those terms are just used to convey the general sound of the difference.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by MikeDodge
You are talking about "Slight Return" right? Or do you mean Chile, not Child?
I'm assuming he means "Slight Return." No one ever means Chile
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
So would an Ionian scale fit over this song in any key? because it doesn't seem to sound right when I play it?
Quote by Nickmansolo
So would an Ionian scale fit over this song in any key? because it doesn't seem to sound right when I play it?

did you use the minor scale, or the minor pentatonic scale? also, did you tune down a half step? use the minor pentatonic/blues scale in Eb.

in blues and rock, its common to use the minor pentatonic over a non minor progression. it gives more "attitude". the minor scale wont work though. some dorian licks could work, but dont worry about that right now. the major scale wont sound right for sure.
Just use E minor pentatonic (probably tuned 1/2 step down tho) and throw in some other notes and bends and all those fancy guitar thigs. It should work if you base it of the Em pentatonic.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Em pentatonic. If you're playing along with the song, tune down a 1/2 step.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by The4thHorsemen
just because somthing's in minor doesn't mean it's "sad" and major doesn't mean "happy" those terms are just used to convey the general sound of the difference.

Not to mention (Though I think Voodoo Child is in Em) that many songs that you would use minor pentatonic over are actually in major keys, a lot of blues music.
Lollage123 You can improvise in the Eminor pentatonic but can also use the Gmajor pentatonic as it's the relative major, Emajor pentatonic can also be used as the parallel major. 

^in this context Em and G pentatonics would be practically the same thing and also this thread is very old so I'm closin' it.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here