Page 1 of 3
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
Soon, I'm looking to buy a Marshall amp, but I'm not sure which amp is best for Rock?
The maximum price I'm willing to spend is about £500 (maybe £600, if it's worth the price).

I went to try some Marshall amps at my local guitar shop, but they won't let me play them unless I am going to buy it. I said I'm going to buy it soon, I just wanted to try it out to see what it's like, but they wouldn't believe me because my parents weren't with me... :/

I've heard the Marshall avt50 is a good amp, and also the JCM 2000 Combo, but that's way too expensive (if I can remember the price correctly...)
Are the MG series any good?

So, are there any Marshall amps you could recommend me for Rock?
Thanks
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
I'm gonna ask the inevitable question that everyone will ask... Why Marshall?

EDIT: Darn you! ^
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
WHY MARSHALL? If you're buying new (which I assume you are) then you will get ripped off by marshall. The AVT and MG are both pretty bad, the JCM 2000 DSL 401 is ok if you go used, but is terrible value new. Be more specific than rock, I assume you like GnR, but a used JCM is probably out of your budget. http://www.valvepower.co.uk/index.htm This is far better than any marshall in your price range
EDIT: I'm so slow damnit
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Dec 31, 2009,
Jezzz, not so much the advice on the amps, but find yourself a better guitar shop where they will let you play any amp whether its a few quid or a few thousand and no matter how old you are!
Can't the store employees demo it for you if they won't let you play?
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
why does it have to be a Marshall?

This

Quote by Sampy
I'm gonna ask the inevitable question that everyone will ask... Why Marshall?

And this

Quote by ProgFolk12
WHY MARSHALL?

Oh and also this.

Until you explain why you want a Marshall, and only a Marshall, then there is nothing we can do for you.
Quote by Mason12309

I've heard the Marshall avt50 is a good amp, and also the JCM 2000 Combo, but that's way too expensive (if I can remember the price correctly...)
Are the MG series any good?

the jcm2000 dsl is $999 here. So it's close to your budget. look used.

or find a vox AC50 and call it a day.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
wait for the new marshall MA50c to be released

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/marshall-ma50c-guitar-valve-amp-combo--67735

i think it will be released in late January

otherwise try finding a used tube Marshall ( eg. Jcm 800 combo, 900 etc)

EDIT: actually, i think its already released...
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Last edited by holycow at Dec 31, 2009,
I have a strong dislike for marshall's MG's and AVT's. It's not even a value-for-money thing. They just don't sound good at all.

If you're totally set on Marshall, have a look at the MA or the Haze series. They're fairly affordable as far as marshalls go. Either that, or find a second-hand one. They're common, so it shouldn't be too hard.

If you're willing to shop around, have a look at Laney's LC series amplifiers. They're about 400-500 pounds, and they sound great (I should be getting one soon). I see you're a Guns n' Roses fan. Do try a Laney if you find one. You won't regret it.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 31, 2009,
You can easily pick up a JCM900 combo for £500 or so. Don't settle for anything less; the MG, AVT and Haze series are crap and the MA doesn't sonud all that great from what I've heard of it so far.
The only new Marshall in your price range even worth a look is the DSL40 combo, but frankly it's pretty poor.

Get one of these with a 2x12 cab (Orange PPC212 or Marshall 1936), best Marshall rig you'll ever get for under £600:
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm

If you don't want to get that because it hasn't got a 'Marshall' logo on the front - you're an idot. It's by far the best quality you'll ever get for that price.
For that price, Marshall is not the way to go.

Give us some more information, what do you play? Gigging or not? used or new?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I like Marshalls because they sound amazing from video reviews I've seen. Althought it's not the only amp I like, I like Vox amps as well. But it's something about the Marshall's tone that I like better than the Vox ones...
I'm also a fan of Slash (and GnR), so I think you guys see why I like Marshalls so much, haha :P

I'm not gigging, I want a Marshall just for practising on. I forgot to mention that, sorry.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
Quote by Mason12309
I like Marshalls because they sound amazing from video reviews I've seen. Althought it's not the only amp I like, I like Vox amps as well. But it's something about the Marshall's tone that I like better than the Vox ones...
I'm also a fan of Slash (and GnR), so I think you guys see why I like Marshalls so much, haha :P

^^^ Stick to your Guns'
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
you'd be best off buying a modelling amp, a cheapo vypyr will sound MUCH more like a vintage marshall than a MG or AVT. Anywho, the only worthwhile marshall you'll find for under a grand (USD) is a JCM2000, which i tried and didnt like a whole lot.
i will recommend a small modeller since your just practicing and save the big bucks for when you need something for playing out
As far as a marshall amps goes, you can try to find a used jcm, preferably an 800/900, but the 2000's are also pretty good. Or since you're not gigging, you can try the new class five that just came out, but you will need an overdrive pedal to go with it.

Stay away from mgs and the avts, the haze isnt really that great either.

Non marshall amps you could try would be
Valvepower 18 watt
Hayden Mofo
Vox AC50 or AC15cc
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox night Train
Orange Tiny Terror/Dual Terror

Also, dont buy an amp just because your favorite guitarists uses an amp by the same brand, Slash's JCM800's are far different from any marshall you can afford.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
Last edited by Major Sparky at Dec 31, 2009,
Any Marshall tube amplifier is good for rock. Look at the Vintage Modern series. It appears to be on the verge of being discontinued, so you should be able to get one at a good price.

And buy it from a different store. How are you supposed to know if you are going to buy an amp if they won't let you play through it? Any store that treats you that badly doesn't deserve your business.
+1 on the valvepower, it's great, but it is a bit more aimed at vintage tones (though with a boost or two you can hit 80s metal), and doesn't have any bells or whistles, so you need to be ok with its being single-channel.

you'd need to tell us what you mean by rock, though, as swamp ash said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can't wait to try the MA50C. I saw on a few websites that they'll be selling for around $750 (american)
Quote by kurtebirdi
you'd be best off buying a modelling amp, a cheapo vypyr will sound MUCH more like a vintage marshall than a MG or AVT. Anywho, the only worthwhile marshall you'll find for under a grand (USD) is a JCM2000, which i tried and didnt like a whole lot.
i will recommend a small modeller since your just practicing and save the big bucks for when you need something for playing out

The kid wants a Marshall and you're directing him to modelling amps?
I want a Corvette - buy a mazda, it's just as fast.

A used JCM 800 or 900 combo is probably what you will be looking at but you may have to look around for a while. The suggestion of a Laney isn't a bad one either - but get a real one with all valves.

But kurtebirdi IS right about staying away from Marshall MG's and AVT's - they aren't Marshalls, they just have the name on them and thats where the similarity stops.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
look for a used orange rocker 30

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Second hand Marshall is actually a good coice. You can pick up a JCM900 or 2000 for under $400.
You can easily pickup a secondhand dsl/tsl combo for your money, less even.

Coda music have a tsl combo for £449 and thats with a guarantee.

http://www.coda-music.com/product_info.php?cPath=170&products_id=5445

Its been there ages so even if you still need to save it'll probably still be there.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Can someone explain why Marshalls are so bad? I have a MG100DFX Amp and I love it. What is so bad about them?

I mean I need to get a new amp and the Marshall MG50DFX is looking like a good idea for me. Can someone explain to me the reasons why they are bad?
this - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75480
or perhaps this - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73876
if you're gonna buy new or quest on the 'bay for a used 900 combo.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by RHunterGN
Can someone explain why Marshalls are so bad? I have a MG100DFX Amp and I love it. What is so bad about them?

I mean I need to get a new amp and the Marshall MG50DFX is looking like a good idea for me. Can someone explain to me the reasons why they are bad?

It's not Marshall that's bad, its the MG series they put out. Some Marshalls are good, some are bad (like the MG). If you like it though, good for you. You've found an amp you like.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Last edited by Sonis3 at Jan 1, 2010,
Why would you get a lower wattage version of that amp.

And Marshalls are great, it's just that they're overpriced. Also the MGs have a bad reputation as they're cheap solid state practice amps that cost more than they out to. Modelling amps are so much better, and even the Fender Frontman series beats them out(for cleans at least), and the Peavey Bandit knocks it out of the water.
Quote by Mason12309

I'm not gigging, I want a Marshall just for practising on. I forgot to mention that, sorry.

THIS is the most important part of the thread.

If you want the Marshall tone in a practice amp, stick with your Vyper or buy a Vox Valvetronix/ Vox AC4TV with Purple Plexi OD pedal.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Sonis3
It's not Marshall that's bad, its the MG series they put out. Some Marshalls are good, some are bad (like the MG).

Maybe Mythbusters can settle this once and for all, LOL.

My logic is if someone is going to create a Marshall tube amp sound in solid state who better than Marshall themselves who know their own signature amp sound better than any other wannabe brand could ever claim.

If you are going for that authentic Marshall sound stick with any Marshall amp you want depending on your situation, tube or solid state. If you try to get some Marshall-esque sounds with another brand amp it will only be a second rate immitation of what you really want. Despite the detractors pressuring us with their unfounded claims and excuses, the MG's sound just fine (especially the new MG4 series with pure analog tone) and do capture their tube cousins sound pretty well.

Marshall has 22 products in their range all marketed to appeal to their audience who are looking for what they want to satisfy their needs. I use an MG4 series now but I'd like to upgrade one day to one of their tube offerings. Marshall all the way for be baby, no matter what.

I kind of like the new 5 watt Marshall Class5 but it is too basic of a tube amp, and with only volume, treble, middle, bass controls it lacks just a couple more features to pull me in. In the demos I've watched the volume seems to act like a gain control too. You have to turn up the volume to go from clean to crunch. I don't know if I'd like that. I wish it has a separate volume and gain control plus some reverb, and maybe 2 channels. Then I'd be sold.
Last edited by Yngwie#1 at Jan 1, 2010,
Quote by Yngwie#1

My logic is if someone is going to create a Marshall tube amp sound in solid state who better than Marshall themselves who know their own signature amp sound better than any other wannabe brand could ever claim. If you are going for that authentic Marshall sound stick with any Marshall amp you want depending on your situation, tube or solid state. If you try to get some Marshall-esque sounds with another brand amp it will only be a second rate immitation of what you really want. Despite the detractors pressuring us with their unfounded claims and excuses, the MG's sound just fine (especially the new MG4 series with pure analog tone) and do capture their tube cousins sound pretty well.

Marshall has 22 products in their range all marketed to appeal to their audience who are looking for what they want to satisfy their needs. I use an MG4 series now but I'd like to upgrade one day to one of their tube offerings. Marshall all the way for be baby, no matter what.

I kind of like the new Marshall Class5 but it is too basic of a tube amp, and with only volume, treble, middle, bass controls it lacks just a couple more features to pull me in. In the demos I've watched the volume seems to act like a gain control too. You have to turn it up to go from clean to crunch. I don't know if I'd like that. I wish it has a separate volume and gain control plus some reverb, and maybe 2 channels. Then I'd be sold.

If I remember correctly, Marshall bought out an Asian manufacturer who made the MG. I could be wrong though.
Quote by imicius
If I remember correctly, Marshall bought out an Asian manufacturer who made the MG. I could be wrong though.

Yes the new MG's are made in Vietnam, to Marshall specs and quality control standards.

A lot of companies do that to save costs. My Fender Stratocaster guitar is made in Mexico and it is a fine quality instrument.
Quote by Yngwie#1

My logic is if someone is going to create a Marshall tube amp sound in solid state who better than Marshall themselves who know their own signature amp sound better than any other wannabe brand could ever claim.

If you are going for that authentic Marshall sound stick with any Marshall amp you want depending on your situation, tube or solid state. If you try to get some Marshall-esque sounds with another brand amp it will only be a second rate immitation of what you really want. Despite the detractors pressuring us with their unfounded claims and excuses, the MG's sound just fine (especially the new MG4 series with pure analog tone) and do capture their tube cousins sound pretty well.

I kind of like the new 5 watt Marshall Class5 but it is too basic of a tube amp, and with only volume, treble, middle, bass controls it lacks just a couple more features to pull me in. In the demos I've watched the volume seems to act like a gain control too. You have to turn up the volume to go from clean to crunch. I don't know if I'd like that. I wish it has a separate volume and gain control plus some reverb, and maybe 2 channels. Then I'd be sold.

You'd be surprisingly wrong if you figure Marshall makes the "marshall roar" signature tone best. Ask almost anyone here, unless you're getting one of the older amps, almost anyone can recommend something else (Splawn would be a good example) which will make it sound better.

I am pleased that Marshall can target all audiences, but it's wrong to just assume that brand loyalty and moving-up-the-ranks is a good way of dealing with amps, especially marshalls. Right now, they're in something of a money ***** phase (I love their amps, but you can't deny it). Moving up is impossible, since they are beginning to enter the world of car manufacturers; next year's model is "we swear, better!!!" than the last, and all of 'em tend to be missing key points that made people love Marshall in the first place. If it sounds good, the MA will make a great series. However, what is it doing that the DSL and TSL didn't do before it? Maybe a slightly different gain structure? It goes on like that for almost all of their amps nowadays, sadly

Also, you completely missed the point of the Class 5. Just for for an MA, it has those features and has Marshall's name on it. Class 5 was designed to be an equivalent of their older amps. It's a bluesy classic rock monster, it doesn't NEED bells and whistles; it's main point is it's tone, which they did nail. The lack of a master volume is mildly annoying, but that WAS the way those amps were back then, and it sounds perfectly good as is.
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
Quote by RHunterGN

they don't sound very good (though i haven't tried the newest version, which is allegedly slightly better) and are unreliable. plus there are cheaper amps which sound as good, if not better, and with more versatility.

However,

Quote by Sonis3
If you like it though, good for you. You've found an amp you like.

+1 on that, too.

Quote by Yngwie#1

wow, are you on marshall's payroll?

I disagree with your entire premise, especially the "If you try to get some Marshall-esque sounds with another brand amp it will only be a second rate immitation[sic] of what you really want" bit. The original marshalls were copied from fender circuits (which were themselves copied from tube manual circuits). Using your logic, we should all be buying fenders, if not those tube manual circuits.

that's before you even consider that most modern marshalls don't use anywhere near the same circuits as the old ones.

and please don't claim that things which disagree with you are unfounded (unless you can prove categorically that they are), because you might be the one with the unfounded claims.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Yngwie#1

Marshall's attempt at making an SS amp that sounds like a real deal Marshall tube amp is a piss poor marketing scheme. They know full well it sounds like shit and that they're charging too much. It's because of people like you that they even exist in the first place.

And the entire point of the Class 5 is to get power tube saturation. A master volume would completely defeat that purpose. And many, many amps do the Marshall sound better than they do now. Look at any of the clones, most of which sell for less than the price of Marshall's current day offerings and use higher quality parts and a higher standard of quality control.

The bold made me laugh my ass off. You are clearly an idiot if you think just because it's analog that makes it better.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Phantom123
Also, you completely missed the point of the Class 5. Just for for an MA, it has those features and has Marshall's name on it. Class 5 was designed to be an equivalent of their older amps. It's a bluesy classic rock monster, it doesn't NEED bells and whistles; it's main point is it's tone, which they did nail. The lack of a master volume is mildly annoying, but that WAS the way those amps were back then, and it sounds perfectly good as is.

Yes I agree with this. I'm very curious about the Class5. I like everything about it but not sure how to work with the combination volume/gain knob if that's how it works. But that is for another thread dedicated to the Class5 I suppose. I do want an amp like this and I like it's basic aspects except how the volume has to be increased to add gain and crunch. Maybe I'm missing the point about how that is supposed to be used and would like to learn more. Please educate me on the Class5 because I may get one next or wait until it's next generation to see what Marshall does new with it.

As far as the new MG series I'm not telling anyone to get one, and more importantly I'm not telling anyone not to get one, like others harp about with an almost cult-like zeal. That would be like me saying don't get a Vypyr which would be unfair to Peavey amp fans. As a matter of fact I'm walking on eggshells here not to offend anyone by using silly codewords like "[unnamed] amp" and have been talking up the Cube-20X more in other threads (I actually own one too) since that seems to be a "more accepted" solid state amp and that's fine because it's a nice practice amp just as the lower wattage MG practice amps are and many other brands, depending on the general amp sound (British or American) you want to have. Once you move up the wattage scale beyond practice amp I say hell yeah consider a Marshall tube amp by all means!

All this is subjective really because everyone has different tastes in music, different rock bands they like, different brands of amps or guitars, etc. It is not our duty to bash one amp model or another, it even might happen to the one you like best. That's just plain wrong. There's an old saying we should all follow that goes sonething like this, "if you can't say anything good about it, don't say anything at all."
Page 1 of 3