Poll: What should I do?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should I do?
Save money and get the 214ce.
1 13%
Get the 314ce, it's worth the extra cash!
6 75%
Get another acoustic altogether (specify).
1 13%
Voters: 8.
Good afternoon Acoustic & Classical forum, I come to you in a time of great need!

So the past year I've been in the market for an acoustic guitar, I've been trying many out and working out my budget and saving money. It has now come that time when I feel ready to make my purchase

I'm looking for an electro-acoustic, cutaway in the price range of, say, £600-1100, although for the right guitar I can stretch that to £1300. I would prefer a guitar that is extremely versatile and can cope with whatever genre of music I can throw at it but if I was to settle for any style I guess it would be singer/songwriter type stuff ala Jack Johnson.

2 guitars in particular are standing out for me at the moment, those being the Taylor 214ce and the 314ce, my problem here being do I go for the cheaper option or is the 314 worth the higher price tag?

Also as a side note, does anyone have any good tips on haggling? do store employees expect it? How do I open up negotiations, get free stuff etc?

Any help and advice here would be very much appreciated

TL;DR
What would be a good acoustic guitar for a player who enjoys light, clear sounding acoustics with plenty of versatility?
What are your opinions on the Taylor 214ce and 314ce?
Any tips and advice on haggling?
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
I have played the 214ce and it was one of the best acoustics I have ever played but the 314 might be better.

Haggling wise you would want to start out saying "well that is a little out of my price range" Then hopefully the guy will catch on. When giving an offer dont go to low or you will have lost all respect from the guy.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
my honest opinion after playing nearly every Taylor model and pretty well every other acoustic guitar you can think of is that the 314 is the best sounding guitar for the money as well as the best playing. Recording with it is simple because its not overpowering, and it sounds beautiful plugged in at a gig or just jamming by yourself. For what it is, the 214 isn't a bad guitar, but i feel like its lacking that punch that makes it stand out. Get the 314 and you wont be disappointed.
i actually prefer the sound of the 114ce to the 214 or 314, but that's me. if you prefer the 314 and the 214, might as well go with the 314 as it's all solid instead of laminate back and sides.
Have you tried a Gibson DSM-CE. I just picked one up for a little under $1000. I played two of them but one sounded pretty tinny. Just make sure you play the actual guitar you are buying
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
The 300 series Taylors are a huge upgrade IMO. I would highly suggest saving up for it, if not something else in the price range.

Have you tried any of the similar priced Alvarez, Martin(15 and 16 series), Breedlove, or Larrivee(03 and 04 series) guitars? If you haven't, you could be missing out. These companies also make some pretty kick-ass guitars. Definitely try to find some and play them before you make any sort of decision.

In any case, I would highly suggest you save up and go for guitars in the more expensive Taylor 300 series kind of money range.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I wish I could comment but even though I'm a big fan of Taylors, I have never owned one or played one. I prefer looks to sound you see & have never had the money for one. I think you should save up & get a proper kick *** guitar .
Quote by Zigler9
I have played the 214ce and it was one of the best acoustics I have ever played but the 314 might be better.

Haggling wise you would want to start out saying "well that is a little out of my price range" Then hopefully the guy will catch on. When giving an offer dont go to low or you will have lost all respect from the guy.

Thanks for the advice, what would you say is a achievable price to talk down to without sounding stupid?
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Quote by tobysaurus
Thanks for the advice, what would you say is a achievable price to talk down to without sounding stupid?

for me, I never really try to haggle down the price all too much. when i bought my LTD ec1000 I demanded no tax, a free patch chord ($40), strings, picks, leather strap, case (ESP hard case) and a power adapter for one of my pedals. I opt for the free gear over the "give me $____ off the price" because i find they would much rather you pay close to sticker price and give a lot of free stuff than give cash breaks.

I always like free things anyway. it makes me feel as if I did something right
I can't speak to the 314 since I haven't played it, but I very recently bought a Taylor 214 (no pickup). The 214 is a very good guitar. Intonation is very good everywhere on the neck, minimal buzzing even with very hard strumming, seems to be built very well all around. The bass isn't all that "booming" as it would be on some guitars, and it's probably a bit better suited to finger picking then strumming, but it's a great all around guitar. finger and flat picking sounds amazing, and this guitar really sings when playing single notes.

My first guitar was a seagull s6, and the Taylor was meant to be an upgrade over that, and it certainly is. At first, I was a bit reluctant to spend almost $1000 (canadian) on a guitar that is partially made from laminate, but the construction and sound were just so good that I really don't think that it's that much of an issue.

So, I think the 214 is a great guitar. The 314 probably is too, but what you have to determine is if the sound is better, and if so, does the better sound justify the difference in cost. I compared the Taylor 110 to the 214 extensively, and I definately preferred the 214.