how to play some thing like this(below) very fast..... I cant get to that speed... This is from Them Bones of Alice In Chains.. are there any good videos to teach these techniques... most of the videos i found in youtube and other websites are not helping very much.. or maybe i missed the right video..

T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T T
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-18h20p18----18h20p18-------18h20p18-------18h20p18-------18h20p18-----------
--------------19-------------19--------------19---------------19----------------19---------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry that the tab is not perfect..
Thank You...
you downpick the b string when you and play the 18 then hammer on 20 and pull off back to 18 then uppick 19 on the g string. do not pick on the 20 and the second 18 and repeat
Last edited by sbinlb at Dec 31, 2009,
What works for me is practicing that stuff with a metronome. If you don't own one, use this.

Just start playing at a slow speed, and gradually increase the speed until you can play at your desired level.
start off doing it really slowly in the click of a metronome. get it perfect, then up the metronome a one level. repeat. repeat. repeat. repeat. you get the idea.

do it until you can do it faster than the song. this will probably take a couple hours. but then you'll always be able to play it. very rewarding.
pick a the 18, then put a finger on the 20 WITHOUT getting your other finger out of the 18 and WITHOUT picking (this is the "h" in the tab .. that is called a hammer on) .... then release the finder in the 20 fret WITHOUT getting your finger out of the 18 and WITHOUT picking ( that`s the "p" in the tab .. called pull of). ... then just pick up the 19...

try at a slow speed and get it faster ... be patient and try to be acurrate as possible in the speed you can play it

I tried yo explain the best way and could and the more I could .. i don`t know how much do you know about playing so sorry if i soud like speaking to a little kid lol
it might be easier to do an upstroke on the 18 and downstroke on the final 19 note thats how i do it.

ALICE IN CHAINS FTW
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic