Any thoughts on this combo? Don't know much about carvins amps and cabs. Looking for something mid to high end I could gig death metal with. Should I hold out for something better?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/1531647295.html
Looks like an amazing deal.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I have a redline 1000 head and its pretty good. The compressor I dont really use a ton, but It does its job. Im waiting untill I get a 15 inch cab to get the full perspective of its tone. Some say they sound very sterile, but to me they are very colored and I dont really know If I like it, yet.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I haven't had experience with Carvin. I have heard great things about them...and that looks like an amazing deal. i suggest you go try that amp out.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
I meant to buy an amp like the one you are considering, but Carvin discontinued it before I could do so. I own a 1000-watt Redline head & a 4x12 and 1x15 cabinet and it has been a great bass amp. I think you would be fortunate to get that combo if it is in good shape.
I have heard a few stories of unreliability about the redline amps, but mostly praise, so I say go for it. No manufacturer can ever have 100% perfect product go out the doors and carvin is known for overall quality.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Was just at my loc GC and fell in love with the acoustic 600 amp and 810 cab. Decisions decisions

Guess I'll atleast go check it out.
Hmm wow.
For my craigslist, I've seen 2 of these go up for sale since yesterday.

Both are very good, or excellent condition, with cover/wheels, and one with a foot pedal.
One for $700 and one for $600.

If you can knock the price down like $50?, then go for it.
I play through their BX600 head, and if one word can be used to describe it, I'd say transparent. It colors the tone very little, which can be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. That being said, it's a solid piece of gear that's been dropped out of trucks and gigged without any issues.
Quote by Revelation
I have heard a few stories of unreliability about the redline amps, but mostly praise, so I say go for it. No manufacturer can ever have 100% perfect product go out the doors and carvin is known for overall quality.

The first generation of Redline amps had problems with over-soldering. The extra solder created connections that weren't supposed to be there. That one looks like a Redline Series III, so it won't have that problem.
I don't have a full grasp of resistance especially with the amp being "bridged" would I be able to connect a 4x10 to this as well?

I really like the acoustic stuff but I'm in no hurry. I think I'll try this amp out atleast. Seems like a good buy. As far as coloring the tone, I have a sans amp driver that would help with that.
Quote by Lazarus.Bird
I don't have a full grasp of resistance especially with the amp being "bridged" would I be able to connect a 4x10 to this as well?

I really like the acoustic stuff but I'm in no hurry. I think I'll try this amp out atleast. Seems like a good buy. As far as coloring the tone, I have a sans amp driver that would help with that.

Redlines have two power amps for bi-amping ability. To bridge them means running both amps together, rather than having one power the high frequencies and one power the low frequencies. It sends the entire power capability of the amp into one signal.

Yes, you would be able to use another cabinet with that amplifier. I don't think you'll need it, though. The one I played through was capable of earth-shaking volume. Like I said, I'm sorry I didn't buy it when I had the chance. And you can get all sorts of tones out of it without any pedals. It has a huge array of EQ adjusting controls.