ive been messing around with audacity, and using a guitar hero mic. I know its not the best setup, but it worked for the time being.

So i wanna step it up and buy some recording gear. but im completely lost as to what i want to get. Ill need if for guitar tracks and maybe a drum machine.. not looking to spend more then $250. i also want to mic my amp

I have one question is it hard to set up the recording gear to a computer? the way i have it now is the guitar hero mic is in a usb port and thats it..
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
well look for a cheep mbox for pro tools is probly the best but then u would half to get a mic and thats another 99 dollars for a sm57
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Check the stickies...

Edit: Disregard the Blue Snowball in my gear list. You don't want a USB mic, which is one like the Guitar Hero mic that goes straight into the computer through the USB port.
Quote by phlip999
Armstrong to moon bass.
Sorry.

Quote by 0RI0N
I just glanced and thought his name was tampon.

Last edited by treepoop at Dec 31, 2009,
yes it is hard to interface, and 250 will get you not much more than what you already have.

If you're using proper mics (like SM57 or summin similar) that's most of the money right there. Then you have to buy a mixer and that's WAY out of your price range.

And as for software.... I'm sure there are ways to get those for free *wink wink*

But i think sure might also have like a USB mic attatachment which you can buy for some rediculous amount, but you should check it out.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Try getting something from the Digitech RP series like this: HERE.
My friend has one and I got to use it one time. You can just hook it up to the computer via USB and get a bunch of great guitar tones (you can even take it down an octave to record some bass). It also has a drum machines with some professional sounding drums. It does NOT sound like poop.

EDIT: I don't think you can mic your amp with this pedal, but for the price you get alot of stuff. and unless you're REALLY attached to your amp you can use any of the presets on the pedal for a tone, (I think there's literally over a 100 presets!). I can send something that I recorded with it if you wanna hear a sample of what it can do.
Last edited by ibanez87 at Dec 31, 2009,
alright well... having seen only one decent suggestion here (check the stickies), i'll have to toss another one out. you will need a USB interface (to get instruments and mics into your computer) and a mic.

for interfaces, look at M Audio's Fast Tracks or Line 6's UX's. Presonus also makes some good ones if you can afford them, but either of the first two suggestions will be all you need.

you'll also need a mic. the sm57 is regarded around here as the greatest mic in the world... that's a load of crap. don't buy it. yes, it's great on amps and in your situation might be the best choice, but also check out some other good dynamic mics such as the Sennheiser e609 (flatter frequency response than the 57) or the Audix i-5 (sm57 wannabe...)

i hope that helped.
Quote by sandyman323
alright well... having seen only one decent suggestion here (check the stickies), i'll have to toss another one out. you will need a USB interface (to get instruments and mics into your computer) and a mic.

for interfaces, look at M Audio's Fast Tracks or Line 6's UX's. Presonus also makes some good ones if you can afford them, but either of the first two suggestions will be all you need.

you'll also need a mic. the sm57 is regarded around here as the greatest mic in the world... that's a load of crap. don't buy it. yes, it's great on amps and in your situation might be the best choice, but also check out some other good dynamic mics such as the Sennheiser e609 (flatter frequency response than the 57) or the Audix i-5 (sm57 wannabe...)

i hope that helped.

im asuming the interface has a little part in how good the qulity of the recording is rite?
my budget is a little low beacuse of the hoildays but it will grow real fast. sosandyman323....what interface and mic would you recomend ?

the thing is im a "hands on " kinda guy.. i tried looking into the stickies and i couldnt make any sences of it all.. i need to know what to buy as far as mic and interface and i can figure out the rest from trial and error

thanks for the help
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
well they each have their advantages. there are cheaper ones that i didn't recommend, but i personally would not trust them as far as build and sound quality go. the line 6 ones have the advantage of the included POD Farm software so you can get record a decent electric without miking your amp (incase you just want to jot down an idea without setting up your whole rig).
a good friend of mine has been using a fast track for a while now and it's worked quite well for him, and i know presonus makes some good quality gear and are quite trustworthy.

what kind of music are you planning on recording? what kind of amp?

i would probably say go with a Line 6 UX1 - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX1-with-PF?sku=250003
or if you can scrape up the money, a UX2 (it will give you more options in case you want to expand your setup in the future) - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX2-with-PF?sku=250004

for a mic i would go with either the sm57 or e609. but that kind of depends what kind of amp you have, the music you're doing, and your own personal tonal preference...
well they each have their advantages. there are cheaper ones that i didn't recommend, but i personally would not trust them as far as build and sound quality go. the line 6 ones have the advantage of the included POD Farm software so you can get record a decent electric without miking your amp (incase you just want to jot down an idea without setting up your whole rig).
a good friend of mine has been using a fast track for a while now and it's worked quite well for him, and i know presonus makes some good quality gear and are quite trustworthy.

what kind of music are you planning on recording? what kind of amp?

i would probably say go with a Line 6 UX1 - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX1-with-PF?sku=250003
or if you can scrape up the money, a UX2 (it will give you more options in case you want to expand your setup in the future) - http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX2-with-PF?sku=250004

for a mic i would go with either the sm57 or e609. but that kind of depends what kind of amp you have, the music you're doing, and your own personal tonal preference...[/QUOT

i play alot of high gain stuff...and i use a b-52half stack (not by choice)
i also use a 7 string guitar.. tuned low..but the mic i use (again not the best) clipps alot and i dont want to worry about clipping..as far as interfaces im in the dark thats why i need ideas as to what to get...money isnt a issue but i dont wanna go crazy
Gear:
Ibanez RG1527M Prestige
Martin DX1
Agile-2000
I'm gonna agree with Sandy on this one. Get either a UX1 or UX2 (I prefer the 2, I like more options), the Sennheiser e609 (Great for micing amps) and download Reaper for your software (Its free and is excellent, lots of people here use it)

Also, down the road, invest in a good condenser mic for recording Vocals
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp