I'm having a hard time telling what effects and techniques John Petrucci is using during the David Gilmour inspired part of "The Count of Tuscany" in Part 2. You can barely hear the picking, and I'm almost wondering if it really is the guitar that's playing it. Could it be a volume pedal, and delay?

Thank you,
William
sounds like volume pedal (or swell with the finger on knob) and reverb. theres a settings thread somewhere.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
If you are talikng about the part I think you are (the one where its only synth and guiitar) I believe he uses a little distortion, some reverb, a little bit of flanger, and a volume pedal. A combination of those should sound very similar. Or maybe he uses an e-bow. Well Hope I helped
Yes, that was the part I was looking for (comes around 11:30 into the song). It's a really beautiful part of the song, and it shows Petrucci's ability of also playing with feeling Well, the only problem now is getting a volume pedal. I've seen them being sold from Boss, Ernie Ball and one from Dunlop. Is either better than the other? I'm not too picky
Well, Petrucci endorses both; but I believe he uses Ernie Ball volumes and a Dunlop Rack Wah with a foot-controller.

Try them out and which ever you like the most, get it.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...