I had to change my cooling fan and there were no how to's anywhere so I thought I would share the love. If you have one these amps they are great, but Marshall cheaped out on a vital piece. Hope this helps if your amp starts making a sceeching sound when you fisrt turn it on. (It is the armiture spinning faster than the fan and will eventually ruin your fan and ultimately your amp)

Here ya go:

My Marshall MG 250DFX is now quiet and the new fan is actually pulling more hot air out than the original. I will try my best to post a picture tutorial on how I did it, so people can do it them selves, It wasn't hard and it is a known issue with that amp There are a crap load of Google request on how to do this. A basic run down of what I did was as follows:

1) Got tools: Phillips screw driver, wire cutters and shield removers (Strippers), a new pc heatsink fan, little wire nuts, electrical tape, and a couple of beers.

2) Disconnect power

3) Remove 1/4" speaker cables from back of head

4) Remove 6 screws on top of cabinet to release the head, and pull it out from the back

5) Around the fan guard there are 4 black knob things that cover the screw heads for the fan and the heatsink itself, pick at them and they will flop open to reveal the screw head. (There are some connections and such on the heatsink, just be careful)

6) Remove the screws and the heatsink will fall and the fan is now loose. (Do not remove the fan guard, I took one of the bolts out and my fat fingers had a hard time getting it back on )

7) Finish your beer and get another

8) Cut the wires to the old fan (One Red and One Black), I cut them close to the old fan so I had some extra wire just in case, I also left enough wire on the old fan to make sure if I needed to I could reconnect it.

9) Now we are at the point of no return, you are in it now. Take a couple sips and get ready.

10) Strip the wires on the new fan and on the wires that connected the old one inside the head.

11) In my case the new fan had a red and black wire, made it easy to know which is which, I twisted the black wire in the head and the black wire on the new fan, and then screwed it down with a wire nut, and threw some tape on it.

12) Finished beer and got another

13) Repeated step 11 with the red wire.

14) Depending on how much you drink, grab another beer, cause all that's left is putting it back together.

15) Line up fan with the screw holes, making sure the fan is going to blow out of the vent and not suck in; usually the sticker on the fan should be facing the back of the head. (You can see it through the fan guard)

16) Line up the heatsink itself and screw it back in

17) At this point you can plug it in and turn it on (Don't touch anything inside the head!!) put your hand over the fan and make sure it is blowing and not sucking, if it is sucking just remove the screws and turn the fan to correct this.

18) Now throw away your beer cans to avoid being yelled at by the wife, and grab another for your effort.

19) Now slide the head back into the cabinet and get it lined up, put the 6 screws in the top to secure the head, plug the 1/4" speaker cables.

20) Put your tools up, plug the amp in it is now quiet! Plug a guitar in and enjoy, you did it.

I just want to point out that in no way shape or form am I an electrician. I just happened to be tired of the god awful noise my amp made, and decided that I was going to fix it. Neither I nor anyone on this forum are responsible if you attempt this and screw your amp up. It isn't hard to do, just be careful and pay attention to what you are doing. If you feel you can't do it, DON'T! Once again neither I or this forum or the members of it are responsible if you ruin your amp or hurt yourself.

Thanks

Geeve
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Great guide and all, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you when you call the MG a great amp. The lower wattage models, sure, they're fine as a practice amp, but when I played the 100W stack at Best Buy, well... lets just say I've heard better sounds in a public restroom when someone's taking a shit...

EDIT: But hey, if you like it, more power to you, and that's what matters. I was just pointing out that the MG is a generally hated amp here on UG.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Dec 31, 2009,
They have a 250W one now?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
They have a 250W one now?

its just the name of the amp, bro,.i had one once, its 30w i believe.
Quote by rocknrolldude43
Great guide and all, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you when you call the MG a great amp. The lower wattage models, sure, they're fine as a practice amp, but when I played the 100W stack at Best Buy, well... lets just say I've heard better sounds in a public restroom when someone's taking a shit...

EDIT: But hey, if you like it, more power to you, and that's what matters. I was just pointing out that the MG is a generally hated amp here on UG.

It's just the name, Mine is 100 Watt 2x12

Well it is all opinion, I have been playing a long time and I prefer my $120 Epi to my $600 Washburn. I think it is a great amp. When I play shows I am the singer so it's main function is home recording and practice. Anyhow I know there are alot of Google post asking how to do this.

I know UG is a Fickle place...lol, but like I said there is going to be someone who has this amp and has the fan issue.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Last edited by geeve420 at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by geeve420
It's just the name, Mine is 100 Watt 2x12

Well it is all opinion, I have been playing a long time and I prefer my $120 Epi to my $600 Washburn. I think it is a great amp. When I play shows I am the singer so it's main function is home recording and practice. Anyhow I know there are alot of Google post asking how to do this.

I know UG is a Fickle place...lol, but like I said there is going to be someone who has this amp and has the fan issue.

Glad you could be of assistance to the minuscule amount of MG users here on UG. I'm just warning you that's UG is loaded with people who hate those amps. As I said before, if you like it, that's all that matters. *gets flameshield ready*

That being said, I actually do like the 15W MG my dad has (I highly prefer the 15W Peavey Vypyr he gave me for my birthday last year though).
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

Last edited by rocknrolldude43 at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by rocknrolldude43
Glad you could be of assistance to the minuscule amount of MG users here on UG. I'm just warning you that's UG is loaded with people who hate those amps. As I said before, if you like it, that's all that matters. *gets flameshield ready*

That being said, I actually do like the 15W MG my dad has (I highly prefer the 15W Peavey Vypyr he gave me for my birthday last year though).

Right on man, Flameshield ready. It's a shame that some would rather flame over gear opinions than just ignore the post if they think the amp is crap or the post is of no use to them. Oh well, Have great new years!!
Quote by dubstar92
You guys are ****ing morons.

With tone herpes.
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
Your explanation of how to replace the fan was excellent.
However, I would like to know WHERE you got the replacement fan in the first place.
Can you help with this?
Thanks