Page 1 of 2
So I was in Biology class a couple of weeks ago, and we got on the discussion of evolution in general, not applied to our lesson.

My teacher started talking not about what has happened, but the plans of what will happen. He said that the next step up on the evolutionary scale is "transhumanism." In a nutshell, it's simply the merge between man and machine. This is how humans will improve on the next step.

So Pit, what do you think of this? Evolution, up to this point, has been completely natural. What would happen if we all became hallf-machine? Is this the right direction to go? What would be the next natural step if we don't go transhuman?

Also, let's not turn this into a religious discussion. I myself am actually a Christian, and a firm beleiver in creation, ut find this absolutely fascinating. Just try and keep blanket "Evolution isn't real" statements out. Cool.
Quote by NotSoAirJordan
ust try and keep blanket "Evolution isn't real" statements out..

Luckily they're few, and no one takes those people seriously.

Quote by NotSoAirJordan
I myself am actually a Christian, and a firm beleiver in creation,

Oh whoopsie. Awkwaard.

Yeah people will probably become cybernetic to some point. Atleast the rich ones.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Dec 31, 2009,
There are ideas going around with nano-technology to have tiny machines in our bodies, that will regulate our health. I think it's a big possibility that we will merge with machines in the future.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
This is kinda happened already, what with prosthetic limbs and everything although not on such a grand scale as your suggesting. Wouldn't mind getting myself a pair of robot wings though.
that sounds like a cyborg, or are cyborgs supposed to be just machines that look like humans?
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
Quote by Zoot Allures
that isn't how evolution works. Your teacher is wrong since that isn't how cells mutating can happen.

For the record, evolution is real

winner
They think they know who I am....all they know is I love to kill.
Quote by Zoot Allures

Let's not turn this into a debate thread.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by ng117
I read the title as Ejaculation, wheres it's going.

On your mu....

I remember reading something on here where in the future the rich will be able to like enhance themselves and become super human.

Natural evolution I doubt will really occur in us, unless something drastic happens in our environment.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
The next step for evolution will be whatever evolves after we all kill ourselves somehow.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by Axe Samurai
Next stage of our evolution will be devolution.

Not terminator stuff like you think

Paradox much?

Quote by rockingamer2
Let's not turn this into a debate thread.

There isn't a debate.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Oh whoopsie. Ackwaard.

Fixed

But IMO, I wouldn't wanna guess where human evolution is heading, Maybe we can expand our minds further, I mean, we only use 10% of our brains, even when we are at our most focused points in life, So what is the other 90% capable of? Telepathy maybe?

I hope we start to see things in our lifetime of where we might be going but hey, who knows.
Quote by Zoot Allures
that isn't how evolution works. Your teacher is wrong since that isn't how cells mutating can happen.

This is true.

The merging with machines will probably happen with the progress of nano-technology. But as far as real evolution is concerned, I hope our brains evolve. We have a situation now where our technology is advancing very fast, yet most people don't understand how it works. Our sciences are becoming more advance, yet most are ignorant to them and choose to cling to old superstitions. It's a recipe for disaster.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
I think we're about as evolved as we can be in this current world, with global warming we'll probably just adapt to live in warmer/colder climates. And when The Netherlands flood it'd be pretty awesome if people grew gills

Edit: I hope our brains evolove as well, ignorantly stupid people irritate me.
Last edited by Hoeland at Dec 31, 2009,
If we become like this

I say **** YEAH!!!!

EDIT: Not really...and OOPS, sorry for the monster picture
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
tl;dr: God did it.

Is that what this thread is about? Everyone knows Evolution is a lie like Global Warming and second hand smoke.
I want women throwing their thongs 'cause I wrote their favorite songs.
Quote by ng117
I read the title as Ejaculation, wheres it's going.

GEAR:

Jackson dk2m

Marshall jcm2000 dsl

Schecter omen6 diamond series

Quote by Kipister
Fixed

But IMO, I wouldn't wanna guess where human evolution is heading, Maybe we can expand our minds further, I mean, we only use 10% of our brains, even when we are at our most focused points in life, So what is the other 90% capable of? Telepathy maybe?

I hope we start to see things in our lifetime of where we might be going but hey, who knows.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

And yes, our next stage in "evolution" will be with nanobots inside of us, basically making us immune to all bad things and enhancing all of our normal functions. It'll be cool.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
how in the world would scientists "know" how the next step of evolution end up? according to their theory, it would just get better (not de-evolve) through natural (key word, natural) selection. or have they changed their theory??

Quote by Kensai
There isn't a debate.

for once, i completely agree with kensai. there is nothing there to debate, thanks to God...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Hobble
This is true.

The merging with machines will probably happen with the progress of nano-technology. But as far as real evolution is concerned, I hope our brains evolve. We have a situation now where our technology is advancing very fast, yet most people don't understand how it works. Our sciences are becoming more advance, yet most are ignorant to them and choose to cling to old superstitions. It's a recipe for disaster.

'we've got a society built on science in which no one understands how it works' carl sagan

D:
Quote by joshua029
how in the world would scientists "know" how the next step of evolution end up? according to their theory, it would just get better (not de-evolve) through natural (key word, natural) selection. or have they changed their theory??

for once, i completely agree with kensai. there is nothing there to debate, thanks to God...

-_- not this again..
Our eye's will change to support endless hours of staring at screens, and to protect us from the harsh sun that will come in the future, little toes will disappear and we'll slowly get taller. Sort of like how it's been going for CENTURIES. What you guys don't get is that evolution isn't an instantaneous thing, it happens over hundreds, or thousands of years. And it's subtle. It's not like "OMG I HAS A THIRD ARM!". It's like, "Grammaw, your little toe is huge!"
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Our bodies will evolve to space travel, assuming we ever get off this horrid rock.

As far as machines go...well putting robotic limbs on a person isn't evolution, unless somehow our gene development is affected by it. Same with nanobots - having them inside you fixing your body isn't evolution, unless your cells start to interact with them on a very "intimate" level.
God did it! God did it! God did it! LALALA I can't hear you! Don't scare me with ideas out of superstitions! God did it! God did it!

No! You're completely stupid! Hurr durr!

Am I doing this right?
Merge between man and machine, huh? I don't think that can be classified as evolution at all, simply because it doesn't depend on gene pools and genetic mutations. To me, that just seems like Lamark called up George Lucas one day and said "Hey man, I have a GREAT idea."

I totally believe that machines will be incorporated into our lives more and more. It's just not evolution. If anything, we'll remain in the state we are today unless some genetic trait comes up that is advantageous to our survival. Or one that attracts women. I'd like that.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by beingfamous
God did it! God did it! God did it! LALALA I can't hear you! Don't scare me with ideas out of superstitions! God did it! God did it!

No! You're completely stupid! Hurr durr!

Am I doing this right?

xD of course..

edit: while im posting this. For all those who think evolution is a lie. Do you realise that your 6000 year old earth theory is bullshit regardless due to a thing we can observe called the 'red shift' for one thing.

Go and look up a little bit about space and the galaxies and tell me again how this is all a conspiracy and fossils are planted by satan blah blah blah >_<
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Dec 31, 2009,
I don't think natural selection applies to us in the modern world, if natural selection did apply then there would be no gay people, no retarded people, no stupid people, and surely no politicians, cause they would of been killed off by the stronger. Course, political correctness has taken natural selection out of the picture, so evolution no longer applies to humans as theory says it does.

Plus, there is way to much egoism and politicians for us to ever evolve beyond our fleshy state.
Kinda reminds me of Warhammer 40k and how the Forge population on Mars worships the machine God. They actually have sentience inside their vehicles/technology

The human immune system has to experience an infection or virus for it to be immune to something, thats how we get antibodies to help fight off these things in medicine, So how would nano-machines help us be immune to everything?, I agree it could enhance our senses, and we might be able to do things we were once not thought possible, run faster, more intelligence, telepathy etc.
Quote by Zoot Allures
xD of course..

edit: while im posting this. For all those who think evolution is a lie. Do you realise that your 6000 year old earth theory is bullshit regardless due to a thing we can observe called the 'red shift' for one thing.

Go and look up a little bit about space and the galaxies and tell me again how this is all a conspiracy and fossils are planted by satan blah blah blah >_<

This is going to be fun:

The Earth is 6000 years old because Christians added up the ages of everyone born from Adam and Eve and it totaled: 6000 years. (How scientific.)

God planted the fossils here on Earth to the test the faith of humans. (Am I the only person uncomfortable with the idea of a joker god that's just ****ing with our heads?)
Quote by Hobble
This is true.

I don't think this will cause our brains to evolve, but I do think it will cause us to change the way we think about technology and the distribution of science information.

A lot of recent technology has been "science finds, industry applies, man conforms", whereas it should be "people propose, science studies, technology conforms". This will hopefully be the case in the near future before too many people are left in the dark regarding new technologies.

As for science, I believe scientists are going to have to be trained to speak about their fields in ways that average people can understand (so they'll be trained in public speaking I suppose)...think Carl Sagan. If we can have more people like Carl, I think more people in the world will realize how important science is in their lives.
Let us call upon the great Noam Chomsky:

Prophet just means intellectual. They were people giving geopolitical analysis, moral lessons, that sort of thing. We call them intellectuals today. There were the people we honor as prophets, there were the people we condemn as false prophets. But if you look at the biblical record, at the time, it was the other way around. The flatterers of the Court of King Ahab were the ones who were honored. The ones we call prophets were driven into the desert and imprisoned.

Take any country that has laws against hate crimes, inspiring hatred and genocide and so on. The first thing they would do is ban the Old Testament. There's nothing like it in the literary canon that exalts genocide, to that extent. And it's not a joke either. Like where I live, New England, the people who liberated it from the native scourge were religious fundamentalist lunatics, who came waving the holy book, declaring themselves to be the children of Israel who are killing the Amalekites, like God told them.

You can find things in the traditional religions which are very benign and decent and wonderful and so on, but I mean, the Bible is probably the most genocidal book in the literary canon. The God of the Bible - not only did He order His chosen people to carry out literal genocide - I mean, wipe out every Amalekite to the last man, woman, child, and, you know, donkey and so on, because hundreds of years ago they got in your way when you were trying to cross the desert - not only did He do things like that, but, after all, the God of the Bible was ready to destroy every living creature on earth because some humans irritated Him. That's the story of Noah. I mean, that's beyond genocide - you don't know how to describe this creature. Somebody offended Him, and He was going to destroy every living being on earth? And then He was talked into allowing two of each species to stay alive - that's supposed to be gentle and wonderful.
I think it would be cool, but I wouldnt classify it as evolution because a baby would never be born with machine parts or anything.
And from a non-creationists point of view, Isnt anything that ever happens natural? If we humans are one in the same with animals then anything we do is natural.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
for once, i'm not going to turn this into a Biblical debate(TS asked us not to). instead i wanna know the thoughts of how evolution could end up...

so far its:
1: humans + machines = humachines?

2:we'll be taller humans with bigger toes

and

3:human body as we know it is as far as it will ever go.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Last edited by joshua029 at Dec 31, 2009,
OOOOHHH THAT'S what will happen! I was wondering how much farther back are heads would be, but no worries now!
Quote by Kipister
The human immune system has to experience an infection or virus for it to be immune to something, thats how we get antibodies to help fight off these things in medicine, So how would nano-machines help us be immune to everything?, I agree it could enhance our senses, and we might be able to do things we were once not thought possible, run faster, more intelligence, telepathy etc.

The nanobots would destroy anything interfering with the normal functioning of the human body, presumably.
Quote by joshua029
for once, i'm not going to turn this into a Biblical debate. instead i wanna know the thoughts of how evolution could end up...

so far its:
1: humans + machines = humachines?

2:we'll be taller humans with bigger toes

and

3:human body as we know it is as far as it will ever go.

1.His teacher is a fool who dosn't know how evolution works, it dosn't work like that.

2.Maybe we'll get taller, it depends on environmental factors and all. You can't really look ahead very well.

3. No, evolution dosn't end.

Now listen to the smart man and stop believing in mythology. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvMoC1M-GYw
Page 1 of 2