I'm pretty sure that when you play out live you should have plenty of experience to not look at your hands. Right now though I have to because it's just the way I practiced the song.

Are there any tips or tricks for lpracticing to play without looking at your hands?
a lot of that has to do with experience and how much you play, but try practicing in the dark so that you can look down you just cant see anything.
your a wreck, an accident, forget the freak your just nature, keep the gun oiled and the temple clean, shit snort and blaspheme, let the heads cool and the engine run, because in the end everything we do is just everything we've done.
-corey taylor
just experience from playing the song. Eventually you won't even think about it from playing it so much. It's just all muscle memory.
I can play the easier songs I know without looking fine, but should I be able to play solos and such without looking?
Quote by Jman09
a lot of that has to do with experience and how much you play, but try practicing in the dark so that you can look down you just cant see anything.

this is what i did...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Quote by Jman09

+1

That's how to test how well you know a song. Your slides might be off by a fret or so, but the rest of it should be pretty easy if you know the song well enough.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
repetition. repetition. repetition. repetition. see? i typed that last one without looking at my hands.
Uh,
Lots of players out there look at their hands when playing live.
It's no big deal,
for gods sake,
if you have to to play the song correctly, do.

Doesn't make you look mediocre or anything.
I think it certainly looks better when people like Kirk Hammett or Slash can wail out a huge guitar solo while still making eye contact with the crowd and giving them a good show. Practice in the dark, or just practice often. The reason you can play the easy songs without looking at your hands is because your brain has adjusted to playing them.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I can't play rhythm without looking at my hand for a lot of songs because I can't tell which fret to play the chords on because i can't see it

But i can play solos and stuff without looking.
Quote by Dubbolubogous
I can play the easier songs I know without looking fine, but should I be able to play solos and such without looking?

Mostly it's just lots of practice and knowing the material really well. Practically speaking, even live, most guitarists will mostly not look at the fretboard, but glance at it from time to time during difficult parts or when there's something that could make lose your place on the fretboard like a long slide. So don't worry about ever having to totally never look at the fretboard.

Personally I'll learn most stuff by playing it slowly while reading it from the sheet music - so I learn it right off the bat without looking at the fretboard. Of course, difficult stuff is a whole different story. I have to slow right down and learn that a couple of beats or a bar at a time.

One thing you can do for gaining a bit of confidence at not looking at the fretboard is to play with your eyes closed. It's actually not as hard as it sounds, but watch out for large position shifts!