I learned the intro to this song last night. I am very average at theory but here is my question and I haven't reseached anything so I hope answer isn't obvious. Assumptions I am making are the the song is in the key of G and that the licks used in the main progression are in the Em pent as this is the relative minor of the G key. In the licks used the F# note is used and it sounds right. I don't believe F# is part of the Em pent scales. Theory wise how does this work? Passing note? Part of the DMaj chord added in? I am always hung up on stuff like this as it doesn't seem to fit my understanding of the rules. And the other problem is I know that theory is guidelines and not rules. Thanks for the help.
It's not in E minor pentatonic, but its in the E natural minor scale..... or in the context of this particular song.... the G Major scale.

make sense?
shred is gaudy music
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. I automatically go straight to the pentatonics for figuring almost everything out as I usually works. Does Page use the Major and Minor scales in his solos a lot? I will have to take a look and really learn them not just know how to find them on the net. Thanks.
^ the pentatonic scales are just derived from the diatonic scales, the two notes that are left out of the pentatonic will still sound perfectly fine since they're pretty much the same scale. in this case C and F♯.

and anyways there is nothing wrong with going out of key if you can make it sound good. I play in E minor a lot and I tend to hit the F and the A♯ alot.
A common misunderstanding is that if a song is in E minor, then the scale of choice would have to be E minor pentatonic. In the E minor natural scale, the two notes F# and C are added to the pentatonic scale. In most cases, the E minor pentatonic will work just as well as E minor natural.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by McG5-0
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. I automatically go straight to the pentatonics for figuring almost everything out as I usually works. Does Page use the Major and Minor scales in his solos a lot? I will have to take a look and really learn them not just know how to find them on the net. Thanks.

NP. I can understand that since so many solos, especially from that era, use the minor pentatonic scale.

Quote by McG5-0
Does Page use the Major and Minor scales in his solos a lot?

Page does use the natural minor and Major scales along with pentatonic in his solos.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 31, 2009,
Thanks to all. I really like the point of the 2 added notes making the pent scale into the natural minor scale. It is such and easy concept but I most likely over look it since I like many others were taught the boxes and patterns of scales vs the notes that make them up. So I never really think of different E scales as they relate to one another. I think of them as totally separate scales. This changes my thinking. I have learned something. Thanks again.