I got this and VI.ONE VIR2 for chirstmas, I don't seem to understand the concept of the sample library and how to record/control it

I have not found any useful information with at least 20 google searches, youtube has no tutorials, I can't find any written tutorials and there is nothing...

please someone, please tell me how to use Kontakt Player 2, what I need to play and record the virtual instruments and whatever other information, please, please, please, I do not have the slightest clue on how to figure this out, please
Well kontakt player is an instrument, you put in samples and create sound with it. Then you plug it into your DAW and record with it. From what Google told me, VI.ONE VIR2 is also an instrument. You're going to need a midi keyboard and a DAW to control them.

For a DAW, just go grab Reaper and install that. From what I hear, it's simple and straightforward and there are tons of tutorials and resources, even right here in R&R.

For a midi keyboard, you can grab any old keyboard at any price really. Go get a $99 m-audio oxygen keyboard, or better yet to go Best Buy (check online for product availability first!) and pick up a Korg nanoKey for $60. I have one and it's the best little keyboard for portability and simplicity. It feels kinda funny at first, but you'll get used to it. That's your best option if you don't want to spend much money.

You should look for manuals for the software you have to learn how to use them. There's usually a pdf floating around somewhere, check the help tab and see where that gets you. Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Well kontakt player is an instrument, you put in samples and create sound with it. Then you plug it into your DAW and record with it. From what Google told me, VI.ONE VIR2 is also an instrument. You're going to need a midi keyboard and a DAW to control them.

For a DAW, just go grab Reaper and install that. From what I hear, it's simple and straightforward and there are tons of tutorials and resources, even right here in R&R.

For a midi keyboard, you can grab any old keyboard at any price really. Go get a $99 m-audio oxygen keyboard, or better yet to go Best Buy (check online for product availability first!) and pick up a Korg nanoKey for $60. I have one and it's the best little keyboard for portability and simplicity. It feels kinda funny at first, but you'll get used to it. That's your best option if you don't want to spend much money.

You should look for manuals for the software you have to learn how to use them. There's usually a pdf floating around somewhere, check the help tab and see where that gets you. Good luck!

I know the VIR2 is the sample library, so I have that stuff loaded into Kontakt, I have reaper but will probably be making a thread on how to get it all set up, its really weird on my computer for some reason, would it work with audacity?
also, once I get the midi keyboard, do I have to play it like a normal piano?
say I wanted to create an acoustic guitar track, would I have to play the chords like a normal piano because I have been usinga regular keyboard for things like this, frankly I suck at piano lol,....
also is there a way to get it so everything is in perfect time? like say I want to create a drum loop, can I do each drum individually or do I have to record it all at once?

those are just examples of things I'd like to be doing with this, obviously lots more , but I've read the user guides/manuals in the box, and online and everything else I could find, honestly, I clicked every link on the first two pages of google
could you help me more, or give me a guide or something if you have the time?

Thanks for the help so far
I don't think audacity loads vsts, but I could be wrong. As far as recording drums in time, depending on the DAW you should be able to bang 'em out, then edit the midi on a piano roll (the big midi grid) to snap them to the proper time. You can do one piece at a time (verse, chorus, fills) then fit them all together in your track. You could also do each piece of kit separately (lay down a kick, then layer on the snare and hats, but you may have to do this with the mouse instead of a keyboard/pad set). That's pretty standard on any DAW.

As far as playing the midi controller, I have good news and bad news. The bad news: you have to play it like a piano. The good news: after the most minimal theory (which you can pick up yourself without any real help in a small period of time) the piano is stupid easy to play. Much easier than the guitar, imo. Think about it this way: the piano is every note, in order (much like one string of the guitar) but the piano goes out of its way to label all sharps and flats FOR YOU with big black keys offset from the natural white keys (ooh subtle racism!).

You'll get the hang of it, trust me. If you're gonna be recording guitar parts, you're way better off slapping a mic up against your amp and recording that way. You'll need an interface and all that jazz, or a USB mic which will be satisfactory while you're still learning.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
I don't think audacity loads vsts, but I could be wrong. As far as recording drums in time, depending on the DAW you should be able to bang 'em out, then edit the midi on a piano roll (the big midi grid) to snap them to the proper time. You can do one piece at a time (verse, chorus, fills) then fit them all together in your track. You could also do each piece of kit separately (lay down a kick, then layer on the snare and hats, but you may have to do this with the mouse instead of a keyboard/pad set). That's pretty standard on any DAW.

As far as playing the midi controller, I have good news and bad news. The bad news: you have to play it like a piano. The good news: after the most minimal theory (which you can pick up yourself without any real help in a small period of time) the piano is stupid easy to play. Much easier than the guitar, imo. Think about it this way: the piano is every note, in order (much like one string of the guitar) but the piano goes out of its way to label all sharps and flats FOR YOU with big black keys offset from the natural white keys (ooh subtle racism!).

You'll get the hang of it, trust me. If you're gonna be recording guitar parts, you're way better off slapping a mic up against your amp and recording that way. You'll need an interface and all that jazz, or a USB mic which will be satisfactory while you're still learning.

I have my basic recording set up already, and I can play some basic stuff on piano, i just suck really bad lol, I can not play two hands at the same time, but I wouldn't really need it that much, and I was just using the guitar as an example, I just wanted to be able to do some other instruments or if I coulnd't get the sound I needed sweeten it a bit, but yeah, I'm really horrible at piano, it takes me so long to get it right lol
audacity does load vst plugins, but it doesn't keep them as they were meeant to be, it brings them up in the type of effect editor that is written for audacity(if that makes any sense) which is why I have downloaded reaper, I just can't get it to record, pick up any signal, or output anything, so i have to look at that, but my recording set up is , mic--mixer--interface---audacity, some vst plugins are fine, but others get too screwed up to use

I was thinking of doing each piece of the kit seperately, and mouse clicking is fine lol, how would I record into reaper (or if it works with audacity) though, I don't understand how I'd do that
You need to read the Reaper manual, that will explain a lot. Also check out the reaper threads here in R&R (use the search bar to find 'em quickly, but they're probably only a page or two back by now).

When you're doing midi with piano, you rarely ever use both hands at the same time. Just keep at it, and you'll get the hang of it eventually!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
You need to read the Reaper manual, that will explain a lot. Also check out the reaper threads here in R&R (use the search bar to find 'em quickly, but they're probably only a page or two back by now).

When you're doing midi with piano, you rarely ever use both hands at the same time. Just keep at it, and you'll get the hang of it eventually!

yeah, I have yet to take the time to read up on it

I kind of figured because I record all my bass parts now with keyboard, and obviously keyboard parts and synth parts and sound effects lol, my drum loops even come from the keyboard I seriously need an upgrade, which I'm guessing I have and just can't use yet lol

but like how would it work recording into reaper? I can understand how with a mic, but how do you record something on a computer, on a computer, and with midi keyboard/controller will I need a midi interface or anything else besides cable and controller?
If the controller is USB and you can hear sound when you play with the vst loaded, then you're pretty much all the way there. You create a midi track as opposed to an audio track, and it records the midi notes that you send from the keyboard. Then you can swap any instrument onto that midi track and the notes will play through whatever sound source you give it. You can record with a synthesizer engaged, then swap out the synth for a violin patch and it'll play the same notes.

Again, I can't stress this enough, READ. THE. MANUAL. I'm not one of those guys who gets pissy about people not reading the manual, and I'm trying to help you, but to be honest companies provide a manual with all of the necessary directions to get up and running. Ignore your testosterone and read the manual, it will really make a world of difference.

Personally, I just PURCHASED the physical manual for my DAW. I already had the pdf, but it's so useful I bought it to hold in my hands while working. That's how important the manual is to any DAW. It's why they offer actual classes form colleges in ProTools or Ableton Live or Logic, because you have to learn things to be able to use the programs. This stuff generally isn't plug and play like a guitar and amp are.

And because I can't help but be nice and helpful (it's a curse I guess): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wav4qya5DSU
There's a two-part tutorial on recording midi with reaper, using vsts and stuff. Lots of very basic things, including how to properly set your preferences.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Last edited by Sid McCall at Dec 31, 2009,
Quote by Sid McCall
If the controller is USB and you can hear sound when you play with the vst loaded, then you're pretty much all the way there. You create a midi track as opposed to an audio track, and it records the midi notes that you send from the keyboard. Then you can swap any instrument onto that midi track and the notes will play through whatever sound source you give it. You can record with a synthesizer engaged, then swap out the synth for a violin patch and it'll play the same notes.

Again, I can't stress this enough, READ. THE. MANUAL. I'm not one of those guys who gets pissy about people not reading the manual, and I'm trying to help you, but to be honest companies provide a manual with all of the necessary directions to get up and running. Ignore your testosterone and read the manual, it will really make a world of difference.

Personally, I just PURCHASED the physical manual for my DAW. I already had the pdf, but it's so useful I bought it to hold in my hands while working. That's how important the manual is to any DAW. It's why they offer actual classes form colleges in ProTools or Ableton Live or Logic, because you have to learn things to be able to use the programs. This stuff generally isn't plug and play like a guitar and amp are.

And because I can't help but be nice and helpful (it's a curse I guess): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wav4qya5DSU
There's a two-part tutorial on recording midi with reaper, using vsts and stuff. Lots of very basic things, including how to properly set your preferences.

is the midi vst the same as say a vst reverb plugin for reaper or whatever?
if so how do I encorporate Kontakt with that?
I read the manual that came with the VIR2 box, and it was useless, i read that front to back twice, I read the pdf for Kontakt and will read it again because now I might know what they are saying a bit better, and yeah, this isn't my first complex program to figure out lol, I'm hoping to go to school for something to do with digital animation, video editing or special effects or something, maybe video production teacher, anyways....
that video will help, because I know its the settings that I can't figure out with reaper, the program seems simple enough, and you have no idea how helpful you have been, I'm going to get back to you on this went at some point, once I get a controller and reaper set up

thanks again
not so much the same. A reverb vst is an effect, while kontakt is an instrument. The midi notes tell the instrument what to play. Midi CC tells the reverb how to change (if you want to adjust it in real time with a controller). Notes and CC are different types of midi. I know this seems confusing but once you get a midi track loaded in reaper with your vst on the track and you play it with the keyboard, it will all make sense in that moment. Maybe the video will also help it all click for you!

best of luck, glad I could help!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Hey, I'm having trouble with reaper, I got all the devices and everything setup, but whenever I record, after I stop recording it says error opening recorded media, when it is recording it shows waveform and everything and whenever I import an mp3 or wav file it says error opening media
and one other question about midi controllers, does it matter really what brand, and with Kontakt I know it selects the octave it will play at for you in the program, but would I need a full keyboard just a little like 2 octave one and as long as I hit that note Kontakt would recognize it as the octave for that instrument?

thanks again