I just bought a pair of strings from guitar center which I was going to put on my acoustic guitar. When I got home I noticed that it was for electric . Is it okay if I put this on my acoustic and will it sound the same as my old pair of strings?
It should be okay. I know Ernie Ball strings always say "Eletric/Acoustic Strings" on them. It might not sound exactly the same as your old strings, but they should work.
If you fingerpick then it probaly wont do...steel strings dont really matter though
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
NOOOOOO!!!!!! IT WONT SOUND THE SAME AS ACOUSTIC STRINGS!!!! IT'LL SOUND NOTHING LIKE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just needed to let that be known. You can do it, but it'll be much quieter and thinner sounding. Some people like the sound, and others absolutely detest it. If you like the sound of acoustic strings on an acoustic guitar, don't do this, just go out and buy some acoustic strings. However, someone in this thread needs to state that the Beatles did this. Yes they did. Then again, the pickups they had in their acoustics were *almost* electric guitar pickups, so it made sense. My Recommendation? If you're playing acoustically, and like the sound of acoustic strings on acoustic guitar, don't do it.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by obeythepenguin
You're thinking the Gibson J-160E -- that was an electric guitar pickup (a P-90). And actually, there's no need to bring that up at all, you're just giving them ideas

@ OP: Yes, electric guitar strings are safe for acoustic, but no, they will not sound like your old ones. Electric strings are designed for magnetic response, not acoustic tone. They'll probably sound bright, thin, and tinny. There's more in the strings thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22322343

If I didn't someone else would, most likely someone less informed. And TS, that strings thread is an excellent thread for string recommendations.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
TS, I agree with these two ^^. They know their stuff... me on the other case, I don't really.