An apreggio is a chord played seperatly.

What I don't get is that if you use triads (1st, 3rd, and 5th) in sweep picking what is an arpeggio for?
Last edited by Blckspawn at Dec 31, 2009,
I have absolutely no idea what you are asking.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
An arpeggio is any kind of "broken chord". The tapping at the end of Eruption forms arpeggios. Hotel California heavily relies on arpeggios. Sweep picking is one way of playing arpeggios, and you don't have to play arps when you sweep.
No. An arpeggio is when the notes of a chord are played individually in a sequence. Sweeping is a technique you use to do this. Guess what. I typed in arpeggio in google and this is the first page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpeggio
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
An arpeggio is when you play the notes of a chord seperatly. If you play the notes of a triad seperatly, your're arpeggiating. You could play any amount of notes while arpeggiating. There is no limit. 6 string sweeps are still arpeggios.

And doesn't have to be fast. The intro to Message in a Bottle by the Police consists of arppegios.

Sweep Picking is playing arpeggios. That's pretty what it was made for.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Blckspawn
So pretty much arpeggiating is just using 3 notes of the scale?

Yes, if the chord only has 3 notes.

If you had a 4 note chord like a Cmaj7 or a Am7, it would be a 4 note arpeggio.

Whether your finger picking on chords, sweep picking, or playing the notes of a chord for a solo, you are arpeggiating.