So, I've been gorging myself on RHCP lately... and IMO the intro/jam parts of their concerts are probably my favorite parts.

Are there any tips (other than practice) that can help me get to where John and Mike are as far as jamming? I'm not expecting results overnight, I'm trying to be realistic, and I've been practicing a lot... but what 'routine' should I start that'll help in the long run?

So, what can I do to help me jam at the level of John and Flea? What techniques should I work on? Anything I sould read up on? Any simple inspiration or motivation?

p.s. I play guitar, not bass...

Thanks for any help!
Not that you have to be into this kind of music to improve your skill... But practicing jazz will make you able to improvise on the spot... Knowledge of all chords and scales will make you a better player overall... And most importantly knowing all the notes on your fretboard is extremely important... If you play something and can't tell me which notes you played then learn your fretboard until you can... That's about it.
Quote by Cole419
Not that you have to be into this kind of music to improve your skill... But practicing jazz will make you able to improvise on the spot... Knowledge of all chords and scales will make you a better player overall... And most importantly knowing all the notes on your fretboard is extremely important... If you play something and can't tell me which notes you played then learn your fretboard until you can... That's about it.

Hey! Thanks for the reply!
I know my way around the fretboard, but not the names of the notes. But I know the sound I'm gonna get... if you know what I mean. I like your idea though, I'll learn some 'jazzy' chords and learn a bunch of scales too. But like I said, although I don't know whether it's an A or C#, I'll know what it's gonna sound like before I hit the note so I'll know it fits.
ive been playing for a good 5 years now and although i jam out some awesome licks on my own, when im trying to do it with another musician its really hard to get in tune with each other.

i know the last thing you want to hear is 'give it time' and 'practise' but AFAIK its the only solution!

there are some excellent tabs on here for the californication intros for both slane castle and hyde park. theyre pretty much spot on, and once you get them nailed you wont want to stop playing them
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by fngrstylgtr
Hey! Thanks for the reply!
I know my way around the fretboard, but not the names of the notes. But I know the sound I'm gonna get... if you know what I mean. I like your idea though, I'll learn some 'jazzy' chords and learn a bunch of scales too. But like I said, although I don't know whether it's an A or C#, I'll know what it's gonna sound like before I hit the note so I'll know it fits.

I'd say learning the fretboard is pretty important, if you just learn the lowest of every note on the fretboard (good to start off with just A minor; ABCDEFG) then you can use octaves and the air-ship theory to work the whole way up and then get a good understanding of it. I used to test myself by picking a note I didn't know at random, then using octaves etc. to trace it back to a lower note I did know and stuff like that. Very, very useful. And scale knowledge is very important for jamming, once you get a good understanding of it you'll wonder how you ever got by without it. Chances are J+F just pick a key before going on, and then just both mess around within the boundries of that chosen key for the most part. Once you develop a repore with another musicain it's very easy to play off of their style.
Thanks! I'll have to download powertab first... but I'll try out the tabs. And I already know the octaves around the frets... but I only have a meager understanding of keys. I'll have to work on scales too.
Well I doubt they just go at it without having talked it over with each other before hand or such, maybe they do just go at it but my feeling is they got an idea of what each other is going to do, maybe discuss what key they will play in, maybe a chord progression and then just feed off each other that way

if you know the progression and the key it is much easier to harmonize.
Study Johns playing in general. Learn some of his most trademark songs (Under the Bridge, Mellowship Slinky in B Major, etc). Try looping a Flea style bass line (or just steal one from one of their songs, Readymade would be a good one) and just start improving to it.

EDIT: Check out these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU_sxusyuoI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgXSmmzFCU&feature=related

EDIT2: Even study the playing of John's major influences. Go get Are You Exprienced? (By Hendrix..if you didn't know that...) and just listen to it. Let it sink in. Try learning a few songs of there.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Dec 31, 2009,