I know this might seem really stupid, but i have got a new guitar and i was thinking of buying some 7 string strings and putting them on my old 6 string to get a lower sound. i would but the low b on, move all strings down one, and get rid of the high e. I have another guitar so this is why i am considering this, because i don't need this guitar but i don't want to ruin it. Could someone please tell me how to set up my guitar for that (it is not a baritone), because i heard that it would be possible to do what i am thinking of doing. If its a bad idea or will ruin the guitar, i just wont do it.

thanks!
Last edited by andrewjp123 at Dec 31, 2009,
That's basically the same as getting .13 gauge strings, which are cheaper. Just be warned that playing guitar is gonna be way harder with those.

Or, you could always get some Dimebag signature DRs. Fairly light on the top and super heavy on the bottom.

EDIT: Nevermind, EB slinky top/heavy bottom is way cheaper. The first thing that came to my mind was the Dimebag ones since I like my top 3 strings to be the same as a .9 set.
Last edited by DarkN00b at Dec 31, 2009,
Just get heavier gauge strings. I'm not sure that they'll fit into their respective holes if you try to put the bottom six of a set of seven on your guitar as it is. Also, the strings might be floppy at that tuning and the intonation might be off. Just so you know.
you can do that, but don't tune any higher then B. I turned in one of my 6 string guitars to GC with 7 string strings on it tuned to B. I went back in a week later, they tuned it up to e standard and the neck looked like a horse shoe. Your definatly going to need to adjust your truss rod when you put on those fat strings though.
Stuff:
-Orange Tiny Terror head
-Roland Cube 20x
-Ibanez SA
-Ibanez RG7321
-Fender MIM Strat
-EB Music Man SUB 1
Quote by j37h307
you can do that, but don't tune any higher then B. I turned in one of my 6 string guitars to GC with 7 string strings on it tuned to B. I went back in a week later, they tuned it up to e standard and the neck looked like a horse shoe. Your definatly going to need to adjust your truss rod when you put on those fat strings though.

I cringed reading that...

OT: You should be able to do that, with a few slight adjustments, as mentioned before. And, does the guitar have a floyd on it?
You might have to sand the nut to make enough room to fit the strings
Stromberg Montreux
Schecter Hellraiser 7 String
Mesa Boogie "Son of Boogie" 100W Head
Mesa Boogie 112 Cab with a Celestion Vintage 30
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Death By Audio Fuzz War

This is definitely a case where it would be worthwhile to pay for a setup. But what you’re really describing is a baritone guitar anyway, so just get a baritone.
Quote by jpnyc
This is definitely a case where it would be worthwhile to pay for a setup. But what you’re really describing is a baritone guitar anyway, so just get a baritone.

Yeah changing string gauges is way too hard, better to just get a whole new instr-- wait what?
Quote by ascend
Yeah changing string gauges is way too hard\

Sarcasm?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
i will probably start off by playing songs by staind because they are easy, and also i heard the guitarist has a baritone tuned to
Ab
Db
Ab
Db
Gb
Bb

so real low