I'm just sitting in my living room and that stupid California Psychics phone service advertisement came on. They charge 1USD per minute for their psychics to help you out with life decisions. Being a firm believer in reality, I was very enraged that this trash is allowed on television. I understand that they have the freedom to advertise their 'service' as much as anybody else, but don't you think that this is false advertising? They commercial does make the claim that their psychics are accurate.

Should this advertisement be allowed on TV?
Check out my band Disturbed
Do you think religious advertisements should be banned as well?
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake

touche. You truly are a God...

...of cheese cake
Quote by denfilade
For a moment I thought velcro shoes were ones with the whole bottom made of velcro

She could walk up your pubes with those

Quote by kannon
this post has aids
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
and 07'ers will always be well-respected members of UG society.
People can believe in whatever bullshit they choose to. It's not the responsibility of the FCC to make sure they aren't getting themselves into something unsavory.

Also, if Oprah's pseudo-scientific pandering to insecure was allowed, why not psychics?
Ibanez RG350MDX
Dunlop Jazz IIIs
DR Tite-fits(Only because High-Beams sell too fast for me to buy them)
Carvin X212B
Quote by GodofCheesecake

yes.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.

Quote by sock_demon

*Shredding* BREAKER BREAKER, IVE GOT A DEAD HOOKER, OVER*Shredding*
There are adverts to get rid of spyware and malware on tv. Only when you go to the website to buy their products they install malware onto your computer.

So yeah. You can do anything if you have money for it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I think there should be a warning label attached to all of these kind of shows, just like when Ken Miller responded to creationists wanting to put labels on biology textbooks to warn people to challenge what they're reading, and he said he'd love to see them on every science textbook. The same should go tenfold for psuedo-science.
Quote by GodofCheesecake

If they charged money by the minute to commune with God over the phone, then yes, I would absolutely ban that.

I think it's the government's job to protect people from vultures like this.
They shouldn't have to advertise on tv if they're psychics. Shouldn't they be able to advertise with they're psychic powers?

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who thinks this...
Quote by StewieSwan

It's the person's job to mind what they're watching, not the government's. It's a little thing called personal responsibility.
Check out my punk band!!! Lizard on the Window We found a drummer and are now recording.

White Version FC: 4083 9268 4644
White 2 FC: 5372 8215 3622
3DS FC: 1676 4085 1677
Quote by StewieSwan
If they charged money by the minute to commune with God over the phone, then yes, I would absolutely ban that.

Actually I think it should be the job of parents/guardians and the education system to teach people how to think critically and to understand when someone is clearly bullshitting them. The government shouldn't step in and say 'this is wrong', people should be taught to work that out for themselves, it's the whole 'teach a man to fish' idea.
Quote by aaciseric
Actually I think it should be the job of parents/guardians and the education system to teach people how to think critically and to understand when someone is clearly bullshitting them. The government shouldn't step in and say 'this is wrong', people should be taught to work that out for themselves, it's the whole 'teach a man to fish' idea.

Well duh. But the government also has a responsibility to "promote the general welfare". You aren't allowed to advertise a car, but send the customer a pillow instead.
psychics should be put to death
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
Quote by StewieSwan

If somebody is making a conscious and intentional decision to part with their money because they believe talking to a psychic will be worth it, that's their perogative. You can't control how people spend their money. And frankly, I feel that if someone's willing to pay money for something that stupid, they didn't deserve it in the first place.

And televangelists promise plenty of things that you and I both know are absolutely ridiculous in order to get people to send them money.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by StewieSwan
Well duh. But the government also has a responsibility to "promote the general welfare". You aren't allowed to advertise a car, but send the customer a pillow instead.

The government doesn't have a right to step in and tell people what they can and can't believe in. They have a responsibility to teach, not to censor. And I fail to see anything more than a tenuous connection between advertising products and points of view. If there's a demand for it then there will be a supplier for it, if no one believed in psychics then there would be no one pretending to be psychic to make some money. It's based on the exploitation of ignorance, in this case I feel we should tackle the ignorance, and the expoitation will collapse naturally.
They list themselves under 'entertainment' or whatever so you can't sue them for false advertising.

That doesn't stop people from phoning in and getting advise they're thinking is 100% accurate though. Solution you ask? Kill. all. people.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think a line on it should be what the claims of the psychic claims.

A couple of weeks ago (around mid-November) I saw some random televangelist. His pitch was If you give your tithe (10% income) to him, God will help you. But it didn't stop there. He promised that if you give your 10% God would cure you of AIDS (assuming you have it). That is an absolute scam. I want that kind of shit outlawed.

If it is a psychic offering advice, I don't really care. If people want to pay to hear some psuedo-psychologist rant, fine. But when it just comes into "Gimme money and I promise you will be healed!" Ban it.
the government doesnt need to do shit. if a psychic wants to advertise his/her services on tv than let them do it. think about this on a bigger scale if the government bans it, it also can ban whatever it wants. so let the individual decide if they want it or not.

I think a line on it should be what the claims of the psychic claims.

A couple of weeks ago (around mid-November) I saw some random televangelist. His pitch was If you give your tithe (10% income) to him, God will help you. But it didn't stop there. He promised that if you give your 10% God would cure you of AIDS (assuming you have it). That is an absolute scam. I want that kind of shit outlawed.

If it is a psychic offering advice, I don't really care. If people want to pay to hear some psuedo-psychologist rant, fine. But when it just comes into "Gimme money and I promise you will be healed!" Ban it.

to the person above me
lying is lying and people should also have the common sense to know a lie from a lie (unless theyre like 2 than they believe everything the television tells them to do than obviously their parents should step in) so yeah straight up lying is lying

however advertising to join a church or group because they have some morals that you might like than i think thats alright to do however saying that they will lead you to heaven and not hell its utter bullshit again common sense should tell you that in late 2009 that any1 buying that shit is a person without common sense. so you have to take this on a case by case basis
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't think that exhonerees should get a cash settlement, they should get a basket with lotions and fruit, with a card that says "sorry!" with a little doggy on it.

Quote by sock_demon

*Shredding* BREAKER BREAKER, IVE GOT A DEAD HOOKER, OVER*Shredding*
Quote by GodofCheesecake

...yes.
I actually find it kind of funny that you have to call them. If they're psychic, shouldn't they know you want to talk to them, and shouldn't they call you? That's the only way I would believe in that.